Sign in to follow this  
keeway

Radeon R9 290 and Arma 3

Is anyone playing this game on r9 or any other Radeon graphic card?

Please tell me also if this rig would be enough for seeing stable fps on Arma 3.

Intel Core i5-4690K /3.5GHz, 6MB, LGA 1150, BOX/

MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4GB DDR5 512bit (947/5000

Western Digital Blue 1 TB 7200rpm 64MB cache SATA600

Thermalright HR-02 Macho Black-White

Crucial MX100 128GB (550/150MB/s)

AsRock Z87 Extreme3 /intel Z87, LGA 1150/

Fractal Design ARC R2 Midi Tower (b/z)

XFX Black Edition 550W Modular 135mm 80+ Gold

can't say anything about the gpu, but it should be fine unless there are some driver problems i don't know about.

rest of the pc is good, you'll be able to run the game decent, specially if you overclock cpu and ram

I use an R7 Card and my CPU isn't as robust as yours is..AMD Black Edition x4 940 and I get around 30-40Fps on high settings average..I use the Beta drivers for the card as well and it seems to make a difference in the graphics.

Diesel

I had Phenom X4 960T + Radeon 6790 1GB and couldn't get more that 15fps on big missions.

After my recent changes in gaming systems, I now have two of these R9-290’s (separate systems).

Whilst I can’t guarantee you the results I get, I can only say, if you get near or match the results I see, you will not be disappointed. FPS in both A2 & A3 is extremely high, private server with group play and lots of AI is great (I don’t play public servers, so can’t comment there).

A fine card the 290, fast, quiet (yes I said quiet), smooth & enjoyable.

There you go..

Great news, I will make update how it works with my Arma 3 for sure :)

Anyway chris have you tried benchmarks in Arma 2?

Anyway chris have you tried benchmarks in Arma 2?

Now I don't usually bother with any benchmarks, prefer to see for myself how my own game plays..;)

Also I remove all the mission pbo's from the BI game folders, its all stuff I just don't need. Although I store them on a external hard drive, good news for you as I put back in the arrowhead ones, to do this test.

These are from E08, the fairest bench I would say, more suited to A3 geography anyway.

I'm not even sure A3 has one, removed those pbo's before even bothering to check. That said, A3 plays better for me than A2 does, although they both play very well to be honest.

So to the A2 bench, I know you play A3, but its all I have got to hand, that I new where to look to get them back in-game, quickly, plus I was on the i7 when I read your post.

With all my mod/addons loaded, plus of course MSI running etc., i.e.just putting in the mission pbo's as is.

With mod/addons removed, still with MSI running., i.e. not using my usual .bat file to load up the game with everything I use.

Now this is gaming machine, lean & clean, you can see how thorough I am, even down to removing the mission pbo's :o.

I play A2 far more than A3, using the mods I use, I get a lot better immersion in-game playing A2. But as said, A3 plays a little better for me than A2 fps wise.

This fps test was done on the i7 4790k, so take some off maybe, for your i5, not many though, you should still be belting out fps, by rights, mine does I have i5 4670k..

I'm playing SC (Star Citizen) at the moment, and the i7 is the system for SC, but I have A2 & A3 on both systems anyway, so ran it from the one I was using today.

Any gaming systems I have, I always run by a friend of mine in the trade, that tweaks here and there, you know anything not worth having, but included with items, gets removed, plus performance tweaks. I just want to get stable, good performance & rates, not just high rates alone, but good stable performance. Others may get higher rates and that's good, I just want it to perform well, stable and smooth, which they do.

Only thing to watch for is tearing, I always play with v-sync off, have done the same in SC/AC (turned off via the in-game console). I don't really suffer much with screen tearing, but to get good results you have to keep v-sync off really, so just be aware that it can and does happen with some monitors, you probably know all this anyway.:)

Settings used for the tests above: (R9-290 Radeon @ 975 - 1250 clocks). No OC'ing on any part, system or gpu.

Res = 1920 x 1080

Tex detail = V/high

Vid mem = default

AF = V/high

AA = V/high

Atoc = tree's & grass

Terrain detail = V/high

Object detail = V/high

Shadow = V/high

HDR = normal

PPAA = FXAA sharp filter V/high

I don't use PP, don't like the look it gives.

Interface = normal

Aspect = 16.9

V-sync = disabled

VD (visibility) = 3000

Test for each, run three times, middle figure given.

Hope this helps, but don't forget, it is by no means a guarantee for performance, each system will act, according to the way its setup & kept. :)

PS: also bare in mind, the mod/addons I use, are fairly heavy, as you can see from the difference in fps.. But for me, they're a must..

Going for a lie down and/or a cup of tea now...;)

Just overclock that CPU (I'd try 5 GHz with the beast you have) and you should be absolutely fine. I'd estimate a good 35 FPS on a server.

Chris thanks for that report, I really appreciate it. I play both Arma 2 and Arma 3 (recently more A3), and I wasnt sure about new Radeon series performance on both games. Arma 3 unfortunately don't have benchmark itself but Im sure I will get stable fps even in big missions.

@Sub-Human I will try to go for 4GHz at start