Sign in to follow this  
benw

Sharing head marker(icon3d) code for all mission makers

Adding a little immersion to the game and make it more new player friendly.

The head marker is inspired by a MMORPG called WOW.

The head marker will automatically disappeared if you are getting far away.

Currently the detecting range is 13 meters.

qp16r9.jpg

Credits:

Thanks to KK and his blog post for drawicon3d.

Please feel free to make any changes, you are free to edit and distribute this script, but please add my name for credits, thanks!

Usage:

create a mission on any map

in editor, add a player unit. and then add more units and give them names. Place those units in anywhere you like

// please place the uploaded Head_Marker.sqf into the mission folder

// in the init.sqf, add this line in below: (if you do not have init.sqf in the mission folder, just create 1 by yourself)

call compile preprocessFile "Mission_Giver.sqf";

// After that, in the Head_Marker.sqf file, please find line 3, and add the name to the array

Mission_Givers=[yourUnitName0,yourUnitName1,yourUnitName2];

Known Issues

Download

https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B7mC4rCCFCPWUzhlNzRGYWpITE0

Steam page

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=283329023

Changes

V1.0 removed sleep command, no more flickering

V1.1 Code Optimized, Added action menu, dialog interface

Edited by benw
  • Like 1

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Edited by Guest
updated to latest

Without meaning to disdain your effort, but aren't additional hud elements normally considered the opposite of "immersive" ?

Regardless of that though: You should take another look at KK's blog and actually use the right method to display drawIcon3d.

That is either with a onEachFrame eventhandler or inside an addAction condition (as seen here: http://killzonekid.com/arma-scripting-tutorials-addaction-quirks-v2/ )

That also means that your ticket on the bug tracker is kinda invalid as the flickering is not caused by the game but a result of the code you used.

If i removed the sleep command, all icon3d will start drawing at the same time, i don't know how much it will impact the performance if 100 icon3d suddenly appeared in 1 second, so i put a sleep command there, i was wondering if the sleep command can pause only for the foreach loop only, but it turns out that the sleep command also made some changes for the icon3d, or it is my misinterpretation about the sleep command?

Edited by benw

No, missinterpretation of the usage of the drawIcon3D command.

Reread the Wiki artikle and KK's tutorial.

This looks really handy for me, as I have a lot of civ npc's wandering around, and need you to specifically find one of them. For frustrations sake this marker would come in really handy for that. Should I get this or should I write my own based on the blog? Thought it'd save a lot of time if I got this, however was wondering how to make different markers for different NPCs, say 'Store', 'Dealer', 'Fence' etc? Just looking at the code it seems as though it's fixed to one 'heading' text across all npcs?

EDIT: I just substituted the title with 'Quest NPC' which will do for now. How to stop the flickering?

This looks really handy for me, as I have a lot of civ npc's wandering around, and need you to specifically find one of them. For frustrations sake this marker would come in really handy for that. Should I get this or should I write my own based on the blog? Thought it'd save a lot of time if I got this, however was wondering how to make different markers for different NPCs, say 'Store', 'Dealer', 'Fence' etc? Just looking at the code it seems as though it's fixed to one 'heading' text across all npcs?

EDIT: I just substituted the title with 'Quest NPC' which will do for now. How to stop the flickering?

hi, the sleep command has been removed, no more flickering in the updated version.please download the script from https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B...zhlNzRGYWpITE0 as i don't know how to update the file on armaholic.

You can make any changes on my script or you can choose to write another script, if you want to change the text, just change the text for the icon3d to the name of _x inside the foreach loop

drawIcon3D [Texture_For_Icon3d, Color_For_Icon3d, _pos, Width_For_Icon3d, Height_For_Icon3d, 0, str _x , 0, Size_For_Icon3d_Text, Font_For_Icon3d];

you can choose to use name _x gives the name of that soldier or str _x returns the name in editor

Edited by benw

Hello,

I'm the map maker of the 88th squad in the eSport ESM Tournemant and I am trying to create a head marker system similar to the KoTH maps.

Could anyone help me in this script cration ?

Without meaning to disdain your effort, but aren't additional hud elements normally considered the opposite of "immersive" ?

Regardless of that though: You should take another look at KK's blog and actually use the right method to display drawIcon3d.

That is either with a onEachFrame eventhandler or inside an addAction condition (as seen here: http://killzonekid.com/arma-scripting-tutorials-addaction-quirks-v2/ )

That also means that your ticket on the bug tracker is kinda invalid as the flickering is not caused by the game but a result of the code you used.

whats wrong with a draw3d mission event handler