The Skull one wasn't meant to even touch the realms of realistic, I was just dicking about with it ;) and hey, it's something that doesn't stick out too much like a bare face would. As Daisy said the skull one was more Morale/Intimidation than stealth if anything at all. 

in regards to the streaks of bare face, I wanted to have a 'lived in' look on them, like the camo paint's been scraped off by twigs, leaves, sleeves, gun stocks and sweat over time, if this isn't realistic i'll tone it down a tad. 

I understand were you are coming from but real camo face paint, won't come off easily, it is a real pain in the a.. to get off your face and don't forget you're supposed to refresh it from time to time. 

Usually they're only removable with hot water and soap, and even this will take at least 10 Minutes.

Its usually closing your pores and everything anyway, you can't really sweat with it on. 

Usually on a 2 week excersise i had to refresh it like 4 times or so. 

• Like 2

I really like the facepaint on the marpat unit. Great for more character-specific units. IE a campaign or mission with a Kerry/James key-type character. Dig it a ton Zee, great work! Obviously the normal camo faces for the average unit, but having a few more recognizable ones could be great for mission makers etc! Meshes and textures looking great overall.

• Like 2

There should be no peeling of the cam cream it isn't like regular paint, Zee, think of it as your "foundation cream" then all your blushers and all the other shit you women take hours applying, you never see a woman at the end of the day with her makeup flaking like dried up acrylic paint ;)

I wouldn't go for the peeling and scratching look at all, it looks fake and out of place.

• Like 1

okay, i'll take the scratching off. 

FYI, i don't wear make-up, I'm allergic to most of it ;) and any that i'm not allergic to ends up just annoying the shit out of me, so I just go bare faced and practical, chances are with work it would get mucky anyway. 

• Like 1

As an active duty infantryman, I can tell you that realistically nobody puts cammie paint on super thick, also like others are saying, it doesn't peel off. It does, however, smear and fade.

Usual chain of events:

LT gets motivated and tells everyone to cammie up

Everyone does it because they have to

Nobody reapplies until explicitly told to by name

In all seriousness, some ways I cammie up -

Put three diagonal black stripes, three green stripes, and 2 brown ones

Viking inspired cammie paint (black / green stripe across eyes)

Tactical Braveheart

Warboy (witness meeee!)

Whiskers, because belligerence is fun

Good thing I take random selfies in the field!

Reference pic:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/60qbcc9l6whsota/20160703_120733.jpg?dl=0

• Like 5

As an active duty infantryman, I can tell you that realistically nobody puts cammie paint on super thick, also like others are saying, it doesn't peel off. It does, however, smear and fade.

Usual chain of events:

Tactical Braveheart

Warboy (witness meeee!)

Reference pic:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/60qbcc9l6whsota/20160703_120733.jpg?dl=0

I once applied my cam cream like a Vietnam era SEAL, for a foot patrol in South Armagh, by stay in camp boss went nuts and asked me if I thought I was in the fucking jungle, I replied, it is once you step outside the wire, you can try it for yourself some day.

Landed me about 5 extra duties hahahaha

• Like 4

That's the usual drill.

Starfish or tiger claw is the only way to go... although all green with a black mustache has also proven humorous.

• Like 2

Usual chain of events:

Tactical Braveheart

Warboy (witness meeee!)

Reference pic:https://www.dropbox.com/s/60qbcc9l6whsota/20160703_120733.jpg?dl=0

You got lucky, here in the german Army this whole camo stuff is taken much more serious. We have to walk around with half a tree on the helmet on most trainings.

• Like 2

eek, that's rough.

I've found that face paint doesn't really work when you've got shiny RMR sights on half your weapons :D

• Like 2

I've found that face paint doesn't really work when you've got shiny RMR sights on half your weapons :D

Never thought that Trijicon RMR are so bright. Our standard issue EOTech is pretty much invisible in low light conditions at least from other sides.

Didn't know that any Military is actually giving RMR to their Soldiers anyway

• Like 1

RE: Camouflage faces, I wouldn't worry too much about his or that camo job, any time spent in the army  turns up, in any given platoon that's in the field, all manner of camoflage face jobs besides the book solution. Some guys just smear it on any which way, some guys wanna look like KISS, on and on. Either way after sweating for a half hour the beautiful paint jobs start to smear and ultimately you go from a fine picasso, to a dark face, to a racoon, then you just look dirty So any variety is perfectly fine. 

• Like 2

If you don't mind me saying this ineptaphid, the way I see it is that unit (virtual person) decided to put their camo on in that way.  So it's not about whether it's realistic or not, it's just how the model is, and if you don't like it, then you don't pick it as your in game avatar, but if you do, then you do.

Not everything needs to be totally super by-the-book military - I'm sure there's a lot of people fighting in conflicts right now who decide they want to do stuff in a certain way, and sometimes it works out for them and sometimes it doesn't.

The models/paintjob look really good to me irrespective of whether it's something that someone would have done in some war at some point in time.

• Like 4

If I may for one moment

As much as I don't want to sound disrespectful, I value opinions and questions as much as the next person provided they're actually worthe taking on board, in this case, all of them here in the past couple of days were, the faces are too shiny, that camo isn't textbook and yes there needs to be more variation.

However, i'm also in agreement with das attorney here, i'll admit fault by not openly saying it wasnt my goal to be realistic with that particular camp, however as das has said, there seems to be a major fixation in everything being to the book realistic.

The problem with this is things like face paint and the discipline surrounding it is that it may vary from unit to unit, let alone country to country, look at the peruvian special forces for example.

Mexico might have different rules compared to the US, the US might have different rules to germany, germany might have different rules to thailand and so on and so forth. Fact of the matter is, if realism was the ultimate goal here i would have so much work on my shoulders i would sooner exhaust myself than release the mod.

Also, whats to say that that individual i screenshotted in particular wasnt a terrorist? Or a guerilla? Or militiaman? On the basis of arma 3 being set in 2035, that USMC gear might have been surplus by then. I cant imagine a terrorist group would really care about camo rules somehow, it was already stated that the paint was more as a morale thing than total stealth.

Arma 3 is a game, i respect you want realism in it, and i've already supplied a more realistic face option that provides perhaps what you're looking for, however as an artist its fair to respect also that i do like a certain degree of artistic license. I mean, have you seen vanilla arma 3 lately?

'Realistic' options will be available, if you dont like the unrealistic ones, the simple solution is to not use them.

• Like 8

Well eagle and jaxx's guidelines and examples should be enough then. I'd like to comment if intep didn't stop the buck already but I can never apply it to look anything decent and in my line of work facial camouflage usually looks like this:

CFD_Indiana-004.jpg

Love your work zee keep it up :)

Hey zee, I was snooping around your artstation and found a sexy mp7a1 in aor1. Will it see a release in Arma 3 one day? I'm assuming it's not specifically meant for arma due to the 4k textures (or atleast in its current form).

That looks a bit too high poly for ArmA use, but I wouldn't be surprised if the MP7 from RHS had something to do with this model.

That looks a bit too high poly for ArmA use, but I wouldn't be surprised if the MP7 from RHS had something to do with this model.

The MP7 from RHS I believe came from Warden_1 ;) and if you'd read the comments it stands at 9,000 verts, which is more than acceptable for running within A3

correct, I had nothing to do with the MP7 in RHS :P 

I'll take the highpoly comment as a compliment :)

• Like 1

correct, I had nothing to do with the MP7 in RHS :P 

I'll take the highpoly comment as a compliment :)

well, to put it into perspective Zee, my CAG 416's are well over 12K :O ... so 9K are 4K textures......dawdle........now pretty please, consider it a standalone release :P ;) 

• Like 1

Lowered the specularity on the ladies just before, looking a little more natural now, just seeing if this AS map looks good :D

• Like 2