Thanks dragon01 and Kyrcek! Issues are getting slowly but surely dealt with, right now I'm just making sure that they are as visually appealing as possible in terms of model and texture quality.

I can't wait to see your merc squad though, Krycek, sounds like a really cool concept! :D

after 2 evenings of solid texturing... I've finished the pants:

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/298/d/8/femal3_pants_hq_texture_side_by_zeealex-d843hb4.jpg

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/298/6/9/femal3_pants_hq_texture_rear_by_zeealex-d843h3y.jpg

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/298/6/8/femal3_pants__hq__front_by_zeealex-d843fnm.jpg

Thankfully it will work straight up, no model reimport required, not that its an issue with this model the hands are imported directly from the older version, which is weighted correctly, saving a bucket load of time.

Onto the shirt and belt now me thinks! :D

Awesome, however the trouser legs should be tucked into the boots. Just a technicality

thank you! :D yeah, they should be FistoGames, you're right, I'll be doing different versions of the same uniform as I go, trousers untucked, trousers tucked, long sleeve, short sleeve, etc. don't worry ;)

well, all of that working paid off. Give me until the end of next week tops and I have a feeling the first uniforms Beta will be ready for release. discovered the reason why my models are appearing unreasonably shiny, the normal maps didn't need to be in a 32 bit format, these work better as a 24 bit map, the first NOHQ is fixed,I just need to fix up the older maps to the smame spec, 20 minutes work, maximum.

other things on the checklist:

-fix up non closed sleeve (simple model reimport or workaround model merging)

-tweak weights at the underarm.

-do HQ AAF and CSAT longsleeve uniforms

-test

-if time allows, do HQ versions of the older model

screenies:

what_the_player_sees__by_zeealex-d845b1l.png

femal3_beta_1_preview__1_by_zeealex-d845a7w.png

2014_10_26_00006_by_zeealex-d845btz.jpg

2014_10_26_00007_by_zeealex-d845c35.jpg

comparison_shot_by_zeealex-d845cv2.jpg

for now, I'm all FEMAL3'd out. I'll check in with you guys later today. ;)

Lol I'll leave that alone...

Good to see some variations though...

my apologies for misunderstanding, leave what alone? o.O

All FEMAL3'd out.. bad attempt at humor :)

Wow. This is awesome. Real quality work. BI should really hire you. :) Though I suppose doing that "professionally" would take additional MoCap sessions and making new animations, what you pulled off here is still really amazing. This is something I'm really looking forward to.

Sadly female characters won't happen in official ARMA anytime soon - regardless how you do females in videogames, you've got a feminist mob inbound, virtually executing you for even the smallest errors you've made. Either you intend to profit from overly sexualized females (probably a bad decision in a game so focused on simulating reality), or you leave them out if you intend to make a commercial videogame.

Sadly female characters won't happen in official ARMA anytime soon - regardless how you do females in videogames, you've got a feminist mob inbound, virtually executing you for even the smallest errors you've made. Either you intend to profit from overly sexualized females (probably a bad decision in a game so focused on simulating reality), or you leave them out if you intend to make a commercial videogame.

Err... you do realize that they already happened, do you? ArmA2 had them ArmA1 also did, IIRC. They were present since OFP days. This community isn't some COD/BF kiddies, a tactical simulator such as ArmA attracts a much more mature crowd, and thus can afford not to give a straw for "feminists" and their bickering. The real problem with female character in 3, as this mod demonstrated, is purely technical. I've been following this mod since the early days, and I've seen just how many hours went into it, how many issues it had. Official developer time is expensive, MoCap sessions are very expensive. Those would be necessary if BIS wanted to implement any new body type, as they'd likely get flak from trying to get away with reusing the animations. Given the amount of issues ArmA3 has at the moment, I'd say that there indeed are better things to spend time and money on. Even if they did hire Zeealex, I bet she'd end up working on something else.

Yes but BI has their own in house mo-cap studio so it shouldn't be too financially expensive. You don't think they would have spent all that $$$ on those Arma 2 dance moves do ya?

riiiiiiiiight feminists mob executing people lol :j:

thats why there are no female characters in commercial video games :confused: when there are plenty :confused:

can i get some of whatever your smoking cus clearly i aint puffing on the premo shit

Looking really impressive - look forward to seeing what's next

thanks

Yes but BI has their own in house mo-cap studio so it shouldn't be too financially expensive. You don't think they would have spent all that $$$ on those Arma 2 dance moves do ya?

It's still very expensive to do. We're talking about redoing pretty much every animation, even in-house MoCap sessions cost a fair bit of time and money. Considering that this feature does little to enhance the actual simulation (unlike, say, sling loading, which is likely cheaper to implement as well), I'd say they're justified in not doing it. ArmA2 reused a lot of A1 stuff, not to mention it had only a single animation set, with female characters using only a few animations different from male ones (and noticeably fewer animations as well). ArmA3, with it's new character loadout system, had to have animations and everything created from scratch.

Edited by Dragon01

Yeah I was impressed with the inclusion of a female character in this mod. One question, how the hell did you get this character to appear? Using LT there are no females in the editor and I can't find any relevant classnames.

Sorry to derail your thread zeealex, I'm just very interested in trying out other non male units!

One question, how the hell did you get this character to appear? Using LT there are no females in the editor and I can't find any relevant classnames.

LTMod_Female_CN.jpg

Its more unfortunate that you take such a negative approach.

There already were female characters in Arma, i've seen them in arma and arma 2. Not sure about OFP i'm sure they were.

You've given two choices which is one extreme to the other an unfair point if you are making such an argument. The female characters... mostly, were reailstic and believable. They had old women in the game for pitys sake i dont see how you could over sexualise an old woman. Unless its groovin granny.

I am going to risk saying it. But I am a fairly firm gender equality sort of person(for BOTH genders), and for a game with head choices like arma. There should've been some female heads. But as I understand it was indeed a time and technical issue. While BIS does have their own MOCAP suite they didnt have the time to model several variations of female bodies. Or heads for that matter. In their expansion pack, its likely that female models will be implemented. Even if it is only civvies.

Thanks for helping out there guys, Dragon01, i think the technical faults i ran into were first mod blues, i'm picking up a lot more now, as you can see the modelling has improved and the rigging is much quicker and much less problematic. But as you've said, its slow work regardless. And there are more things that need doing before female characters can even be thought about. The campaign still needs bug zapping for instance. Then they need to focus on a smooth DLC release. If i was to be hired i would probably be working with other models like now for instance i would be in a junior position and likely helping out in designing something for marksman.

The problem here definitely isnt feminism. Feminists are more annoyed that there arent female models

Either way. Thank you for the compliments to those who gave them.

Dont worry too much about derailing the thread. I am also interested in live through and frankly happy to see that this mod has no problems running with LT i saw it on sunday evening and i was very impressed by the model quality.

In other news. I'll likely be working on the mod again tomorrow i've been away on an outdoor pursuits trip the past 3 days. I'll be settling back into texturing up the HQ AAF, FIA and CSAT textures. some further testing and whatnot then i shall call it done.

I'll release a fixed head pbo along side it. It just fixes up sides ready for the new uniforms and removes unwanted external class declarations.

I've decided i will modify fhe UVW of all the heads and give them high res skins as well. Not sure how long that will take. I'll check back properly tomorrow

Ciao!

---------- Post added at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was at 19:55 ----------

And thanks to you asuseroako for sharing too! :) sorry it seems i mustve cut that bit off by mistake and i cant find the edit button. Damn phone! XD

ciao! Again :)

And at last I decided to make my BI account to post comments here too XD Oh my laziness....

Anyway I'm here to support !!! This mod is growing so far, and I hope to see soon a release with your body models as we will finally will have women in uniform ;P

Keep on this magnificent work !! Can't wait to see some "variety" online XD

Edited by Malcom86

And at last I decided to make my BI account to post comments here too XD Oh my laziness....

Anyway I'm here to support !!! This mod is growing so far, and I hope to see soon a release with your body models as we will finally will have women in uniform ;P

Keep on this magnificent work !! Can't wait to see some "variety" online XD

Believe me man, there are weirdos on servers where men act like girls, guess they need attention...

But anyway personal commentary aside today it's shaping up to be a good mod :)

Believe me man, there are weirdos on servers where men act like girls, guess they need attention...

LoL, true story !!! No game can be saved from them :D !!!

But still Arma has some "serious" and mature community, including girls that deserves a little attention that BI doesn't gave them: I don't want to start another discussion on it, just saying (hoping) BI will add some stuff for women too, especially civilian, as thinking of a milsim/realism-based game without even a female is hilarious XD

Well given that the Norwegian Army (if my mind serves me correct) is now opening up combat jobs to women, and the IDF of course has a more co-ed military... So females in a combat role are becoming more relevant to start doing what zaelex is doing and it simply make sense. I "chair" a DACT topic for Strike Fighters 2 and there's at one competent female that actively posts, but that's a more mature community than this one will ever be so yeah stuff like that needs to be worked in.

Agreed, it's a little silly how female models were backburnered by BI

What's more soothing and morale boosting to the chimps on the ground than hearing a woman's voice check on station to deliver some CAS for ya?

I remember one pilot (Kiowa) she had a great voice, Close Combat 36 if I remember correctly. And some of the guys "loved" Weapon 12 (I think) but that was years go. But yeah it's better than a dude sometimes :)

<snip>

Combining temporary anger with sleep deprivation and a foreign language was definitely not my brightest idea. Please forgive me.

can i get some of whatever your smoking cus clearly i aint puffing on the premo shit

Not advisable - could lead to posts you regret the day after.

Well given that the Norwegian Army (if my mind serves me correct) is now opening up combat jobs to women [...]

Germans did some years ago, the UK as well - women in combat jobs are definitely reality.