yeah, I agree, I'll be putting that one in as a coyote/tan uniform variant, and there'll be a desaturated template version too.

in the meantime: Success! :D

the new version of the model is in, however as you can see from the screenshots... it needs A LOT of work still.

the skeleton is broadening the shoulders for some reason, I'll see if I can counter it, but they are a little on the huge side, however, bear in mind, over in the UK certainly, combat shirts normally have extra padding in the shoulders XD

the hands now work pretty much perfectly, it was a positioning issue in the last version that was causing the problem.

107410_2014_09_03_00002_by_zeealex-d7xq5cy.png

107410_2014_09_03_00001_by_zeealex-d7xq5b7.png

the checklist:

sort out those terrible shadow issues!

sort out the bad leg rig (trust me, it looks like she was mauled by a bear, then subsequently masticated by a shark then spat out because her legs didn't taste very nice)

tweak arms and shoulders.

make US, UK, CSAT, and AAF camo versions

configure RVMAT

My cammies don't have any shoulder padding, and I didn't notice any of it on MARPAT combatshirts, either. The shoulders do look a bit off, especially compared to the head. They make the head look very small.

Also, now I understand why BIS didn't implement women in AIII. :) It looks like every time you fix an issue, two more crop up... I hope you manage to get this all sorted out.

Lol those arms are... interesting, maybe it can be a new hidden feature, you extend your arms like elastic and throw enemy tanks :)

Hopefully you can get over those rig issues and all that stuff, must really be hard work doing this

Also, her head looks kinda small to me, especially in proportion to the a3 male heads

I don't have A3 myself.But I do like to keep an eye on what's happening

at this end of the boards.

I'm assuming that the shoulder width you're showing in the image matches

the default male model?

Even if you alter the model,and scale the shoulders in,the rtms will continue to pull

the selections to the same location.You also run the risk of getting some warping of the model

if the shoulders move too far out of position.The animations and model are bound together.

That's been around since OFP.The only way to ensure a character animated correctly was to

make sure all the joints matched a default units.Deviating from those proportions to any great degree,

meant having to create a new set of animations based on the custom model.Something I,and others

have had to do in the past.

As I said,I don't have A3.So there may be a way of tweaking it in the configs that I'm not

aware of.But seeing as the engine still uses the same rtm format,that must be a factor.

Very nice work by the way. :)

Is a civil unit with swimming uniform (w/o clothes) planning?

the heads look small, honestly because they are smaller than male heads, in order for the heads to be compatible with everything, headgear, glasses, bandanna, their eyes need to line up with the default BIS male head exactly, following that, the top of their head needs to be lowered to fit into caps and the like, then the chin is too high up, the female head anatomy is correct in comparison, the eye structure is exactly the same for instance, but due to the female head+male body you get a rather small looking head.

as for the shoulders, this isn't the first time, if you look over in the discussion thread, you'll see several attempts at importing a female model over, the shoulders are just as broad, the jacket model was pulled directly from Arma 2.

I did however manage to pull the shoulders in, I just need to look over how.

@Maczer, precisely, they are about the same size as the male ones, yes. I don't think I would have the time and/or patience to overhaul her animation set, rigging the model is bad enough XD

there is one thing I haven't tried; BIS have left OFP2_WomanSkeleton defined in A3 characters F, which means it could still work, and the skeleton may be slightly different, if I remember clearly, IceWindo used this skeleton definition in his female mod and I also started to use this skeleton at some point.

I'll look into it, if not, last trick is to pull the entire upper torso in and see if anything can be done.

@Anario, civillians are planned, but at the moment I'm going to get this model working as expected and release it, then I can focus more on the civvies.

hmm yeah, well I am sure once the shoulders are fixed that the head will look better.

Also I remember the females in ofp, they could use guns and drive, so I assume if you use that skeleton you would still retain the functions you want it to.

bad news, the woman skeleton doesn't have any RTMs applied so she looks like mr fantastic just got high.

good news, my arm weightings were off; it was being defined too low down the arm, once I fixed those the right shoulder at least doesn't look so broad... you be the judge.

2014_09_03_00005_by_zeealex-d7xspvn.jpg

it's still terrible, but I'm going to have a better look in O2 today, see what I can figure out. I need to reconfigure the shadowvolume 0.000 LOD anyway. so I might as well fix everything else

but, progress is progress.

on a side note, i've noticed that if she has a vest on, he shoulders broaden, not sure if it's just me dreaming it.

Edited by zeealex

After having a look at a model.cfg,I don't see any parameters that would change the relative

positions of the bones.So unless there's something I've missed,the only options open to you

are model/RTM editing.

Model wise you should have some room to maneuver.But if you bring the shoulders too far in

you run the risk of bad deformations around the shoulder joint.Probably excessive pinching and

stretching.In an extreme case the selections might move out of position altogether.

After the edits it's also possible the model will look a bit strange out of game.

But until BI does a militarised female mocap session,or the existing RTMs are retargetted to

a female skeleton,they seem to be the only options.

The work is good regardless of the limitations.I think people would overlook

the proportions.Especially when the model is fully kitted up,and on mission. :)

You're getting super close! I think some changes in the model would really help at this point. Bring the shoulders forward, down and inward a bit and lessen the weight on your shoulders slightly.

There is a little room for tweaking the weights without entirely trashing the anims.

well, super close has taken a disastrous turn, as per norm. The model took some modifications then degenerate faces started to show up... not to mention, the leg weighting is just getting worse and worse, not showing any signs of improvement anywhere.

I've restored an older version of the model, that solves one problem, even though I'm going to have to modify the model all over again, but this leg weighting has never been my strong point, I always get confused as to what's what, I did get good leg weights before, I just have to remember how.

by all means if theres someone good at weighting models in oxygen 2, or has knowledge of weighting the models in another program and has free time be my guest!

cannot load texture p:\femal3-head-only\data\face_wht\mason_new\fem_ti_ca.paa

However, the texture loads up correctly in the game. Just an error sowing up. This comes up if I choose like mason and below. If i exit out of editor and preview again, the error doesn't show up until I change to a different person.

cannot load texture p:\femal3-head-only\data\face_wht\mason_new\fem_ti_ca.paa

However, the texture loads up correctly in the game. Just an error sowing up. This comes up if I choose like mason and below. If i exit out of editor and preview again, the error doesn't show up until I change to a different person.

Yeah, i'm not sure what caused that to flare up, one minute they were great, the next there were problems. I've fixed it up recently, i'll release the fix today or tomorrow

Great mod! Except the part where my friend was doing weird things in a club he built with Zeus with a random mess around session and mod test. :butbut: so weird. However great mod! Its a great addon to our team as we have several girl applicants wanting to join infantry. Sadly I wont be hanging with them due to i'm a taxi driver. Dang helicopters! Lol. Anyways nice job and good luck to you and this mod!

yep, that's been fixed too :)

Great mod! Except the part where my friend was doing weird things in a club he built with Zeus with a random mess around session and mod test. so weird. However great mod! Its a great addon to our team as we have several girl applicants wanting to join infantry. Sadly I wont be hanging with them due to I'm a taxi driver. Dang helicopters! Lol. Anyways nice job and good luck to you and this mod!

thank you for the kind words :) sounds like a fun team :D

okay the main set of fixes have been implemented, I checked over an RVMAT error I was getting as well (that's in my version at the minute) so the materials and thermal imaging should work with no complaints now, I just need to give it a quick boot, just to test it out something's downloading in firefox at the minute, but when that's done, I'll give it a run through, I doubt it will take long. in the meantime I'll see if i can make some extra changes.

Cannot wait for the next release!!! Love this mod so far! Lol I wonder if BI plans to implement female characters like in ArmA 2 or if at this point it's not a priority? Anyway, thank god for this mod! Any open world game should have variation of gender! ESPECIALLY when the game has a built in editor!!

I can imagine their expansion pack next year will carry some female models, if not earlier than that, I think they're pushing straight into the Marksman DLC following the Helicopters DLC with no deviations, in the meantime they're making as many changes to the game as they can most of whichare either optimizations or preparations for the marksman DLC the fact that female classnames are still in the configs does make it more feasible that it'll happen.

I'm really excited for the Marksman DLC :D

This release is just a patch of sorts for now, to remove those niggly problems and get the TI maps working as they are a concern in multiplayer. I've also Implemented Tyler just to replace the old mason head, so old mason no longer exists (sorry!) I may re-implement the model at a later date.

Tyler, the youngest of our ladies (sorry, the head's slightly too large, shouldn't be too bad):

2014_09_11_00003_by_zeealex-d7ytspx.jpg

there'll be a few strange heads coming up with the suffix -scars and -camo, they work, so if you want to use them feel free, currently they're only added to mason(camo and scars) Oakes (camo) and Tyler (scars) they're experimental/test versions that I popped in for your evaluation, so any suggestions feel free to shout! :D

par example

mason___scarred_by_zeealex-d7ytq8o.jpg

eventually the scars will be transferred to a macro file, provided I still have the PSD lying around, if not I can cook up a new one.

good news, the new body model is actually behaving for once, the shoulders, while still looking a little too broad, don't look as bad, no degenerate faces, and the legs, well, I'm getting there... slowly, just underweighted thighs and a few rough edges to combat. just please be aware I am a novice with body models, head models I can do in my sleep :P

aaanywho:

DOWNLOAD(Alpha 2 fixed)

Changelog:

-TI map error is fixed now (hopefully)

-Implementation of Tyler to replace the old mason head (headgear compatible)

-Class errors on startup should no longer be an issue.

-could not find /path/path/texture.paa shouldn't be as prominent*

-implementation of test camo face and test scars face.

-RVMATs configured to use skin shaders and steps are configured based on vanilla Arma 3 examples (not sure if there's a difference)

-darkened Mason's skin slightly (she's quite pale at a distance making her easily noticed)

-mod is now packed with Arma 3 version of PboProject, so that should ensure the Bisign works.

other changes I may have forgotten about.

*I'm not able to accurately say whether some of them are fixed or not, Arma 3 normally gives me the error once and I never see it again. if issues do crop up, let me know.

known problems:

Tyler has a mean death stare!

Permanent: eyelids don't want to play nice for some reason, so unless I can solve it another way, they will stare at you.

other heads still need reimporting/implementing

since the shader change, the heads lighting seems very flat, I think it's a normal thing anyway. but just in case you see it too.

what's next:

now that there's no issues(hopefully), and the body model is behaving, I'm going to crack on with refining that, get the textures and materials done etc, and release beta 2.

If anyone knows how to configure voices, please let me know, if we can get a female radio protocol working it would really help out. I've tried, but alas... it doesn't like me.

Edited by zeealex

great initiative you got going here mate, wish you all the best for the future!

hope to see the bodies implemented soon to give a full representation of females in-game. :)

Nice one! Thanks for the release.

Be good if lightspeed ported over his mission, then she could be part of the ghosts on island thunder!

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Thank you all :) bodies will be implemented soon I hope. Check below for more news on that.

@Jeza, yeah! I'm actually thinking about cooking up a Ghost Recon mod myself, I made an ALCAM skin which is a sort of spin off of the ghosts with a custom desgined camo.

Par example: http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/257/3/6/107410_2014_09_07_00050_by_zeealex-d7z6o3y.png

you can probably see a modified ghosts emblem on the scarred mason demo above too.

still debating it though.

anywhoo!

News:

Old model is a no-go, the accidental tesselation I did on the legs has made everything a lot harder to deal with in terms of rigging, and that torso was just nightmarishly bad

good news, I made (kinda) a new one (textures were just thrown on):

render_new_model_1_by_zeealex-d7z6n9o.jpg

render_new_model_2_by_zeealex-d7z6na1.jpg

so you're probably thinking "not really that fancy"

BUT what it will have over the old one is as follows:

Gloves (they're custom ones based on a heavily modified arma 3 hand)

--as far as I understand, all soldiers, while in their combat uniform and in the possession of a weapon MUST wear approved gloves, and in the British armed forces, if you're leaving your camp, you must wear ballistic tested and approved glasses.

better shoulders

better proportions

full female head compatability

I can modify it easier (adding long sleeves etc)

it's a heavily modified A3 example character, even the pants, so following the example character's rigging will be simpler

I have yet to complete it and I'm going to try to throw it at mudbox for further modifications, if not I'll just use Quixel suite again :D

Edited by zeealex

by all means if theres someone good at weighting models in oxygen 2

dear god! why are you using oxygen?!

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Modding_Characters

get the max weighting export from there. you can actually test your weighting by moving the bones there. i know, mind blowing, if you thought all you had was o2 ;)