Burnes Armories Tanks and Deployment Vehicles

Do you plan on working on the Abrams tank more? Also with the LCAC i noticed it has issues with getting tanks or w.e onto it ... be cool to see the ramps be alittle bit bigger then they are so tanks dont have issues getting up onto it.

probably not. but i will do the correct looking GPS/GPSE reticule for the challenger (big circle little circle) the TOGS and GAS sight too.

Looking awesome. I may have a few phots of the inside of my old wagon if they're any help. Also, massive nitpicking but TOGS is a CR1 term, it's just called TI in CR2! This is coming a long very nicely indeed, really looking forward to having one in game.

Looking awesome. I may have a few phots of the inside of my old wagon if they're any help. Also, massive nitpicking but TOGS is a CR1 term, it's just called TI in CR2! This is coming a long very nicely indeed, really looking forward to having one in game.

Hey thanks for the heads up and yeah more reference photos would definately be welcome :) I've been gathering up reference images(what few there are lol) and I have a 360 degree panoramic quicktime photo thing on some guys website that has helped a lot but there is still much that has to be 'interpreted' due to a lack of source material :p

Do you plan on working on the Abrams tank more? Also with the LCAC i noticed it has issues with getting tanks or w.e onto it ... be cool to see the ramps be alittle bit bigger then they are so tanks dont have issues getting up onto it.

yes i will at some point be releasing updates for the Abrams and the LCAC will be updated very soon. not sure what 'w.e' is but i can say that we havn't had problems loading tanks onto them at all and we are using them quite alot. the only area the current version has problems im aware of is when trying to load on from the LPD (due to a geometry lod error i forgot to change) preventing the ramp from reaching the ramp in the LPD. we have found that reversing onto them is sometimes nessacery with tanks however..

Looking good!!

Any success with lights inside the interior?

No not yet sadly. Still looking into it. Also I've run into some problems with Binarizing the Challenger at the minute. Changed OS to 64bit Win7 when upgrading my computer and now I'm getting build failed but a near blank addonbuilder.log file so I can't identify the problem..

also a binarize\bin\config.cpp error but that doesn't seem to stop other mods from being pbo'd...

Hopefully i can figure these issues out and get the new stuff in game soon.

Hey there any chance you are going to be adding amphibious capabilities to the AAV and the LCAC if not I dont really see the point of those 2 addons.

Hey there any chance you are going to be adding amphibious capabilities to the AAV and the LCAC if not I dont really see the point of those 2 addons.
Both have mentioned in this thread.

I'm sure he would love for the AAV to be amphibious. Big thing in the way though: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=19911

The engine also has a problem with things classed as ships and land. What's there though works pretty well as a compromise.

The LCAC IS AMPHIBIOUS ALREADY. Its a boat FFS. The ability it's missing is land functionality and i don't care if you don't see the point in it because of that as it still functions as a ship to shore transport (its main 'point' btw) for vehicles regardless. If you don't see the point don't use it. glad i could solve that one for you.

The AAV is being worked on in that way but the limitation at present stems from the fact no tracked vehicles of any kind can be amphibious natively with arma 3's current config setups. Workarounds are possible ( i have one that 'works' in a practical sense) but the ugliness of these kind of makeshift solutions would deter most people from wanting to use the vehicle.

Ok , just recieved a PM from the creator of the Challenger 2 placeholder textures I've been using and I can now attribute them to Pathy and the P:UKF team. Apologies for lack of attribution so far but I had no idea who had created them. As stated in my update video I take no credit for those textures they are just placeholders while I wok on files and I would like to thank Pathy for giving permission for their use in this capacity.

that just means that since you didnt look you shouldnt have used them and showed them publicly... just remember that next time

that just means that since you didnt look you shouldnt have used them and showed them publicly... just remember that next time

Agreed. It was a lazy decision on my part.

Progress on the 4K textures. Still lots of solid color filler on the reat of the hull etc but the turret is coming along nicely. I've placed the black camo parts on a layer between the solid green base and the scratches/mud layer so I will be able to have interchangable variations in camo pattern to give a bit of variety. The ERA panels are currently tiles which makes the mud look wierd but i plan on doing a full texture for these with markings to like the KFOR marking etc. Imay do a variant without the mud and armor damage like bullet holes etc but I really don't want that 'fresh of the factory line' look. I am also currently texturing the interios so should have a video of that soon.

arma3_2014_09_16_13_59_20_880.jpg

arma3_2014_09_16_14_05_35_948_Copy.jpg

arma3_2014_09_16_14_07_36_291_Copy.jpg

arma3_2014_09_16_14_08_07_351_Copy.jpg

arma3_2014_09_16_14_09_00_209_Copy.jpg

arma3_2014_09_16_14_09_23_915_Copy.jpg

arma3_2014_09_16_14_15_07_063_Copy.jpg

arma3_2014_09_16_14_17_40_346_Copy.jpg

arma3_2014_09_16_14_19_20_561_Copy.jpg

arma3_2014_09_16_14_27_31_716_Copy.jpg

Sorry went a bit photo crazy lol. too many for one post

arma3_2014_09_16_14_28_54_959_Copy.jpg

arma3_2014_09_16_14_29_40_920_Copy.jpg

Nicely done Challenger 2! Maybe a too much mud on it for my taste, but still nice job. :)

Nicely done Challenger 2! Maybe a too much mud on it for my taste, but still nice job. :)

lol yeah i know not everyone is as crazy about the rustic, worn asthetic as me but I mean, Its kind of like why i added the sandbags and stowage items to the Abrams, because vehicles deployed never look 'clean' if you get me.

Shouldn't the bullet holes be associated with damage decals instead though?

Shouldn't the bullet holes be associated with damage decals instead though?

Nah, bullets wouldn't penetrate. Big Black burn marks are where the damage decals are at.

It seems something wrong with the AAV-7A1 at least on my end. I can't put it on editor I get some error message.

put it in empty. you cant place it with crew at the minute

Loving the mods mate, but maybe cut back on the mud on the barrel of the Challanger.....Just throwing that out there.

put it in empty. you cant place it with crew at the minute

Ahh ok sorry, didn't know that :)

Fantastic progress! Btw Burnes, have you noticed how in SBP PE how when a lighter vehicle and maybe even tanks are hit with a shell they sometimes bounce from the impact. I sorely miss that impact effect in Arma.. Feels like hitting blocks of concrete. Is it possible to animate such an effect?

Oh man they keep on looking better and better, I cannot wait to have a british tank. The Mighty Challenger 2 :D Hopefully you can release soon :)

Loving the mods mate, but maybe cut back on the mud on the barrel of the Challanger.....Just throwing that out there.

Actually on the whole front of the turret - it looks a bit like someone has had too much fun with a mud splatter gun. Even in the muddiest days on SPTA or TELIC the barrel and frontal armour on the turret never got all that muddy, and even then it was mostly from the crew's boots. The tank kicks up a lot of shit behind it so you see a lot of dirt in the running gear and around the rear boz plate/bolt on slab (which is why there's a gap over the drive wheel to let all the crap out and stop the running gear jamming up off from a build up of detritus. That sandy mud bakes into bloody concrete on the hydrogas units). If you google search for pics of a muddy CR2 you should see some decent examples!

The long grass on Salisbury Plain belies quite how muddy this ex was, but you can see from this the dirt is mostly confined to the bottom half of the boz plates. Apologies for the crap pic - mobile phone cameras were a novelty when I took this.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/65/153544859_f4e0683b38_o.jpg (279 kB)

Edited by friznit2

Yeah, dont worry the barrel is not going to look like that it will have the proper um, 'gridded' shape and everything i just havnt done the normal maps or specular maps for it yet and it looked too plain to take pictures of without *some* texture lol so i just overlayed the hulls muddy bit lol.

Actually on the whole front of the turret - it looks a bit like someone has had too much fun with a mud splatter gun. Even in the muddiest days on SPTA or TELIC the barrel and frontal armour on the turret never got all that muddy, and even then it was mostly from the crew's boots. The tank kicks up a lot of shit behind it so you see a lot of dirt in the running gear and around the rear boz plate/bolt on slab (which is why there's a gap over the drive wheel to let all the crap out and stop the running gear jamming up off from a build up of detritus. That sandy mud bakes into bloody concrete on the hydrogas units). If you google search for pics of a muddy CR2 you should see some decent examples!

The long grass on Salisbury Plain belies quite how muddy this ex was, but you can see from this the dirt is mostly confined to the bottom half of the boz plates. Apologies for the crap pic - mobile phone cameras were a novelty when I took this.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/65/153544859_f4e0683b38_o.jpg (279 kB)

don't worry the final texturing here will look more realistic. all of the 'mud' effect needs A LOT of toning and balancing, the normal maps for example are a little too pronounced on the turret right now lol and I always have a tendancy to start at an extreme and work back to something more balanced lol :p.

---------- Post added at 01:40 ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 ----------

Fantastic progress! Btw Burnes, have you noticed how in SBP PE how when a lighter vehicle and maybe even tanks are hit with a shell they sometimes bounce from the impact. I sorely miss that impact effect in Arma.. Feels like hitting blocks of concrete. Is it possible to animate such an effect?

are you refering to the turret being launched into the air?

---------- Post added at 01:53 ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 ----------

Ahh ok sorry, didn't know that :)

Lol don't worry im working on fixing that, it's not unreasonable to expect to place a vehicle down with crew in it, for some reason I can't seem to find where it's referencing the bad crew type in the config though.

---------- Post added at 01:59 ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 ----------

By the way I plan on adding The Bulldog, Warrior and Scimitar to the list of vehicles covered in this project. That should offer a full compliment of British Armored Vehicles for rounded use in recon and troop transport as well.

Burnes Burnes Burnes. Settle down a bit man you're going to wear yourself out. :D