Burnes Armories Tanks and Deployment Vehicles

19 hours ago, UK_Apollo said:

I did something similar when they raised the limit, and test built single models with 500,000 polys in LOD1. pboProject took about 20 minutes to build.

Performance in game was acceptable. 

Object Builder did struggle to keep up though, lol.

haha 500,000! wow well its cool that it worked :D

i had a friend comment on one of my video's that he is going to try a 2 million vert model lol :P

In the meantime though...

Another M-ATV Update. Getting close now though :D

You're limited to whatever the new DirectX limits contain.  I used to know them off the top of my head but I can't recall now.  There is no reason for so many triangles in a video game model.  That's what bump mapping is designed for :)  Besides at some point you'll saturate your vid card performance regardless of what 1x model can do.  Try adding 50 of them in a script-heavy MP session and tell me how that goes...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hcpookie said:

You're limited to whatever the new DirectX limits contain.  I used to know them off the top of my head but I can't recall now.  There is no reason for so many triangles in a video game model.  That's what bump mapping is designed for :)  Besides at some point you'll saturate your vid card performance regardless of what 1x model can do.  Try adding 50 of them in a script-heavy MP session and tell me how that goes...

Yeah... Well um nobody was suggesting actually USING these high poly models. We are just testing the limits to see what happens

good PSA though thanks :P

could you imagine adding a bunch of 2 million faced models in game lol

yikes, are you some kinda sadist?

21 hours ago, burnes15th said:

Yeah... Well um nobody was suggesting actually USING these high poly models. We are just testing the limits to see what happens

good PSA though thanks :P

I rember you came close to it during the first day of one of the 4thib deployments with the unarmed foxhound

2 hours ago, J. McMerry said:

I rember you came close to it during the first day of one of the 4thib deployments with the unarmed foxhound

lol no that was texture resolutions :P 

This might interest you Burnes. 

I ran some tests recently (early May) to check what happens to fps with very high poly counts from multiple objects all rendered in-game simultaneously. The results are... interesting.

SP, VR world, multiple vehicles all with only LOD1 present.

Yes, that is 60 million polys!

"Real life" - at Kavala, Altis, looking at multiple high poly model vehicles.

- showing the effect of dynamic LOD switching

blue = no LOD switching (only LOD 1 present)

red = dynamic LOD switching (LOD's 1-6)

My PC: i5 2500k @3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX970 4GB

Different people will form different conclusions from the data, and as this is your thread, I hope it won't result in too big of a debate, unless you wish it. But for me, it highlights the importance of continuing to optimise (minimise) the number of polys in each object in LOD1, along with the crucial role that additional lower poly LOD's play in maintaining good performance as object count increases.

• Like 6

The MATV looks great, can't wait! Also I see you've made progress on the mastif and even decided to add the bird cage around it(rpg cage), I have a question regarding it. Down range the MATV's also have an rpg deterrent, an upgraded version of the bird cage. It uses an rpg net around it which is lighter and improves visibility over the bird cage. Have you seen these? And if so have you considered taking a shot at them? 

new_atv_mrap_by_slasinth-d4rd2fe.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, burnes15th said:

been looking forward to this for a while, very good job!

Hi any way you could make a retextured version of the Panther CLV to green ? or do you have a green OD version?

and do you have a version without the turret but a gunner like the humvees have ?

20 minutes ago, SGT_Greer said:

Hi any way you could make a retextured version of the Panther CLV to green ? or do you have a green OD version?

and do you have a version without the turret but a gunner like the humvees have ?

hey Sgt Greer, email me at lh22344@gmail.com and we can discuss this further thanks :)

Looks awesome! The MATV will be a staple in Arma.

private ["_vehicle"];

_vehicle = _this select 0;

fnc_Sgu_Odrzut =
{
    _vehicle = _this select 0;

if {player in {Crew_Vehicle}} then
        {
            addCamShake [1.2, 1, 45];
        };
};

_vehicle addEventHandler {"Fired",{{{_this Select 0}} call fnc_Sgu_Odrzut;}};

what im doing wrong?

im polish just i changed it for my polish unit, for these who wonder what that functions does, if you want i will add you credits in config, not only as a author of addon

• Like 1

EODS Source files. Long requested. Now available :P

Hi Katie,

A request, nay, a plea! Please make sure the smaller vehicles, Panther, Husky and such like can fit in the Blackfish ViV. Having a bunch or ariels on the roof looks cool (although IMO as they are rigid and don't 'whip' they actually look weird) the increased bounding box means they are not allowed inside the Blackfish.

Thanks,

Tanky -Paul-

15 hours ago, Tankbuster said:

Hi Katie,

A request, nay, a plea! Please make sure the smaller vehicles, Panther, Husky and such like can fit in the Blackfish ViV. Having a bunch or ariels on the roof looks cool (although IMO as they are rigid and don't 'whip' they actually look weird) the increased bounding box means they are not allowed inside the Blackfish.

Thanks,

Tanky -Paul-

I'm sorry but I literally have no idea what the Blackfish ViV is