Burnes Armories Tanks and Deployment Vehicles

My hats off to you Burnes,

Love your work my unit loved your first tank mod releases and I have been following your releases ever since. Eh a little water won't kill a tank :D. Keep up the good work.

Twizztid

Very early into this one but this gives a little idea of what it will be like

Awesome, can't wait, will the final version be more stable.

with the mk 110 anf FFV we could finaly do an top gear style each assault starting at 4:47 in the vid (sorry preset didn't work)

can't wait for it to happen :D

update on the Challenger interior.

Apologies for not replying much atm I've been up all night lol so my head isn't quite here right now lol. I'll reply to the suggestions and questions after some sleep lol :p

---------- Post added at 09:12 ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 ----------

with the mk 110 anf FFV we could finaly do an top gear style each assault starting at 4:47 in the vid (sorry preset didn't work)

can't wait for it to happen :D

haha yeah that was awesome :D but surely this is the episode to watch :p

Anyone who puts my CR2 into a game is a brilliant individual who should have an infinite BJ resource... My hat is off to you fine sir...

I served many years on the Chally with the 2nd Royal Tank Regiment... I have some info that may help you out on the gunnery side of things with out compromising any OPSEC that hasn't already been floating around the tinterwebs...

- APFSDS Should read FIN, That's what we call em... Also the FIN round on the Chally travels so fast that it can't use a trace element. Thus no trace... Very, very fast... Very fast... At 2km no drop... dispersion is like something stupid like 2 feet...

- GPS (Gunners Primary Sight), is 3x and 10x magnification... Also no Night vision... Only Day and TI (Thermal Imaging via the TIS and TISH)...

- GPS, furthermore the TI sight is the large unit mounted over the main gun... And magnification is: 3x and 14.5x

*something to note... Reason for such low Mags is during WW2 the average Tank on Tank action was only 800m... Thus no reason to have 200x mag on main gun*

- No Night Vision... Only Day and TI

And for a picture... This was a real quick example... And the last time I peered through one of these badgers was 2009... Soooo... I'm sure someone will have something to say... Bless their little troll/arm chair general socks...

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u574/VonLuck/CR2GPS_zps6fa974c9.jpg

Ooooops... Almost forgot... When you zoom in with the GPS the large red circle represents what area will be in 10x, thus it disappears to the outer edge, out of sight... So, all you see at 10x mag is the little central aiming gratical... And no big red circle...

thank you for this information Its certainly will help having first hand information from an actually Challenger 2 crewman. I'll make sure the gunner zoom levels are adjusted in the next version and i'll see about adding the visible ammo selection to the gunner optic model. As someone else stated multiple optic systems are not supported by arma 3 vehicles so the inclusion of the seperate TIS viewers ay not be feasable. I will however remove night vision from the gunner sight :)

As for the optic (gunner view) positioning, i tried it from directly above the gun but the engine seems to behave very strangely when set up like that and the rounds were ludicrously off target. the current view position for the GPS is basically the same as the 'doghouse' gunner sight on the Abrams, would this be the correct position for the daysight?.

i'll look into changing the reticdule for zoom levels too, but it might not be in the next update.

Thanks for all these pointers i'd really like to get this feeling somewhat genuine but so far i've had to 'interpret' a lot of things due to limiteed source material (and occasional stylistic choices made for personal taste like the red optics/viewport glass hues) Any further pointers/corrections or advice you wan't to suggest as development goes on would be greatly appreciated :)

Nice one...

Erm... Bless the little donkey wholopers socks (KRH)...

But I'm almost certain it says "FIN" in the tell-back... I could always ask my mate who is running his own Troop now... Lucky tw@t... Anyways...

The GPS day sight is almost right above the gunners seat... So the position is pretty accurate... If you can see the MRS mirror on the end of the main armament then the sight is in a pretty accurate spot...

As for the FIN rounds I would tack off almost any drop closer then 2000m, and if the engine allows loose the trace burn. As stated at that range you have a 2 foot dispersion and that really makes no difference to a modest, incredible gunnery God like myself...

CR2VIS_zpsea95ad62.jpg

If you have any more questions please feel free to PM me, more then willing to help... Also if you have the raw meshes... As in their .obj or anything I would love to throw it into Mudbox and texture em... I was suppose to go to an art school before I decided to travel the world blowing people up instead...

Hoofin!

My god I just witnessed the best thing ever! your Challenger 2 just auto engaged infantry with coaxial and MG :bounce3:

I have been waiting for this moment to come, all we need now if for her to engage vehicles, and we're set to go to war!

MK10 LC looks awesome. I'm wondering though if you'll encounter the same issue FFAA spanish mod has with their LC where you can't see the vehicles from first person.

World view: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/536253398181319780/00998697C27D6BFEEDC579EC38CDFE702B3AF037/

First person: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/536253398181318465/269BBC52864B45E1B83B11EE6AEB1CBA841EFEC1/

Would be a real shame.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I stopped playing as a tanker in armed assault as BI didnt bother with interiours after OFP. That is very important for me as being glued to the optics both ruins the immersion and makes me tired after some time.

I wished RHS would do interiours too but I guess they will work just fine as targets :D

I'm not sure if you noticed it or not, but your vehicles are on the outside and extra large by the look of it. If this is a bug it's quite popular, seeing as some of the new helicopter mods see everything out side at 5 times normal size.

MK10 LC looks awesome. I'm wondering though if you'll encounter the same issue FFAA spanish mod has with their LC where you can't see the vehicles from first person.

World view: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/536253398181319780/00998697C27D6BFEEDC579EC38CDFE702B3AF037/

First person: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/536253398181318465/269BBC52864B45E1B83B11EE6AEB1CBA841EFEC1/

Would be a real shame.

yeah the engine is set up to ender the users vehicle infront of others. had the same problem with the lcac. clecer positioning of the driver vire and adding some convenient view obstructions while making good use of pip is my plan (as i did with the lcac)

---------- Post added at 17:44 ---------- Previous post was at 17:34 ----------

I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I stopped playing as a tanker in armed assault as BI didnt bother with interiours after OFP. That is very important for me as being glued to the optics both ruins the immersion and makes me tired after some time.

I wished RHS would do interiours too but I guess they will work just fine as targets :D

to be fair RHS had an amazing amount of content in it and some of the vehicles like the BTR70 i believe have amazinf interiors. Making interiors from scratch is a lot of work, first you need good source materials in order to make it somewhat authentic then you need to make the models and textures (texturing interiors is a nightmare tbh because the normal/spec maps have much less influence than they do on the exterior plus you have those textures right in your face all the time) and set up all the memory points, animations, other immersion helpers like monitors and viewports... That said though they are important for immersions sake and i really hope in future bohemia add them. without them you never feel like you are 'in' the vehicle, just controlling it.

---------- Post added at 17:46 ---------- Previous post was at 17:44 ----------

I'm not sure if you noticed it or not, but your vehicles are on the outside and extra large by the look of it. If this is a bug it's quite popular, seeing as some of the new helicopter mods see everything out side at 5 times normal size.

I have literally no idea what you are talking about here. the MK10 is huge because the model hasn't been scaled to game dimensions properly yet, like i saiod its very early development. the Challenger is actually a little smaller than RL and one or two people with a keen eye have actually spotted it once or twice..

yeah the engine is set up to ender the users vehicle infront of others. had the same problem with the lcac. clecer positioning of the driver vire and adding some convenient view obstructions while making good use of pip is my plan (as i did with the lcac)

---------- Post added at 17:44 ---------- Previous post was at 17:34 ----------

to be fair RHS had an amazing amount of content in it and some of the vehicles like the BTR70 i believe have amazinf interiors. Making interiors from scratch is a lot of work, first you need good source materials in order to make it somewhat authentic then you need to make the models and textures (texturing interiors is a nightmare tbh because the normal/spec maps have much less influence than they do on the exterior plus you have those textures right in your face all the time) and set up all the memory points, animations, other immersion helpers like monitors and viewports... That said though they are important for immersions sake and i really hope in future bohemia add them. without them you never feel like you are 'in' the vehicle, just controlling it.

---------- Post added at 17:46 ---------- Previous post was at 17:44 ----------

I have literally no idea what you are talking about here. the MK10 is huge because the model hasn't been scaled to game dimensions properly yet, like i saiod its very early development. the Challenger is actually a little smaller than RL and one or two people with a keen eye have actually spotted it once or twice..

I didn't mean yours lol on the two pics he sent of the no vehicles in first person, if you look at the left side, the vehicles are visible, but really big. it's a bug i've seen a lot.

Another update on how the challenger is coming along..

---------- Post added at 05:28 ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 ----------

I didn't mean yours lol on the two pics he sent of the no vehicles in first person, if you look at the left side, the vehicles are visible, but really big. it's a bug i've seen a lot.

lol all good man, yeah you're right they do look massive lol :p

Wow! Mod is coming along nicely! Great work dude! Can't wait to see what you get up to in the future. From what it looks like, there's a pretty neat list of things to come, and I know this isn't the place to discuss the following, but I have a Olifant MK2 & MK1/Centurion Model that's just lying around. I understand that you have a LOT of work ahead of you, but If you are ever Interested, just let me know. It's South African btw.

Anyways keep up the great work! And I'll be sure to keep following this outstanding Mod!

(The tanks mentioned above are my own work. They were modeled in Feb 2014 using Blender 3-D, they are not in use and are free, as I have no need for it at this time or anytime in the future. I will also not require any credit, or any involvement of any sort. This is just a free offering to expand your already inspiring range of world class equipment.)

Hey, I found this while looking around, are you thinking of adding the smoke rounds to the challenger 2 possibly?

White Phosphorous is used for Covering Withdrawals, Covering enemy positions and used as a Marker for Target/obstacle recognition. The L34 is the same size and weight as a HESH round and three are carried on a typical bomb load unless a specific reason is pre defined.

Let me know what you think, but would be awesome to see in game :)

Also have you made anymore head way on the AI not automatically engaging the enemy with the main gun?

The interior looks awesome, can't believe the level of detail you've gone to.

Edited by Yoshi

Hey, I found this while looking around, are you thinking of adding the smoke rounds to the challenger 2 possibly?

White Phosphorous is used for Covering Withdrawals, Covering enemy positions and used as a Marker for Target/obstacle recognition. The L34 is the same size and weight as a HESH round and three are carried on a typical bomb load unless a specific reason is pre defined.

This would be good if you ever need to mark a target, cover a units retreat or hinder the enemies ability to establish line of sight. Let me know what you think, but would be awesome to see in game :)

Also have you made anymore head way on the AI not automatically engaging the enemy with the main gun?

Ohhhh Willie Pete's.

Edited by Raid

Ohhhh Willie Pete's.

i have been thinking of including them, Also with the sub-munition paramaters i'm pretty sure i can add canister rounds to the Abrams now :p

Oh and you can now change the vision modes on the commanders/Loaders monitors in the challenger

I'm working on making the commanders computer interactive a la perals A-10.

EDIT - Commander can now have the option to turn out and fire from vehicle.

---------- Post added at 19:56 ---------- Previous post was at 18:29 ----------

Wow! Mod is coming along nicely! Great work dude! Can't wait to see what you get up to in the future. From what it looks like, there's a pretty neat list of things to come, and I know this isn't the place to discuss the following, but I have a Olifant MK2 & MK1/Centurion Model that's just lying around. I understand that you have a LOT of work ahead of you, but If you are ever Interested, just let me know. It's South African btw.

Anyways keep up the great work! And I'll be sure to keep following this outstanding Mod!

(The tanks mentioned above are my own work. They were modeled in Feb 2014 using Blender 3-D, they are not in use and are free, as I have no need for it at this time or anytime in the future. I will also not require any credit, or any involvement of any sort. This is just a free offering to expand your already inspiring range of world class equipment.)

If it is the current South African MBT I would definately be interested in doing it. I really want to get decent MBT's out there for as many countries as possible. I have many vehicles to do so cant give an ETA on it though, and if I were to use your model I would credit you regardless lol. :p

Edited by Guest

He's nice that way lol

What do you mean when you say change vision modes, can you give a brief explanation, I'm thinking the system you mentioned before where you bring the turret to line up with your commanders view or is it different. Also what do you mean turn out and fire from the vehicle, as in personal weapon firing? if so can you use binoculars as well?

He's nice that way lol

What do you mean when you say change vision modes, can you give a brief explanation, I'm thinking the system you mentioned before where you bring the turret to line up with your commanders view or is it different. Also what do you mean turn out and fire from the vehicle, as in personal weapon firing? if so can you use binoculars as well?

I don't know how else i can say it lol. Um, on the pip (picture in picture) monitors in the interior of the challengers turret, you can now choose what vision mode is displayed. wheras if you look in the video above the commander only has thermal and the loader only has colour mode, now you can select the vision mode from the action menu.

And yes, i mean using your personal weapon (and binoculars) whilst turned out. Its pretty cool to finally be able to use bino's while turned out. also because when in that pose you are higher up than the CPS and if you have a rangefinder you can have a thermal view i can imagine it being very useful for hull down scouting.

Edited by Guest

Very nice work there Burnes, my deepest respect and appreciation. I can't wait to see the next update from you.

Oh and that brings to mind the loaders weapon, can you make it so the loader fires while turned out also, it's a shame to have to turn in to allow him too. The ability to change view modes on PIP will come in handy, also the ability to use binoculars and range finders while turned is a great feature. The only thing now to figure out is the AI's issue with the main weapon, it's like they've cleaned it and now refuse to use it.

But any how the added features will be awesome to see in action, well done.

can you make it so the loader fires while turned out

This will not be possible with the remote weapon due to the axis being off center of the loader hatch, but i can give the loader FFV capabilites like the commander.

Awesome, that'll do nicely.

Oh and I found out what it is on the back. It's an auxiliary power unit so that the equipment on vehicle can be used without the engine being turned on, it would be a good feature to have but you could also limit it's use so that it can only run for an hour then has to recharge for a set time. you could also set it so that the player physically has to turn either the main engine on or the auxiliary power unit, seeing as the game has a tendency of turning the engine on anyway.

Have you thought any more about sounds?

Looking great Burnes.. For sounds I'd speak to Lord JH.. His tank sounds for Dragonfyre sound really good.

Video demonstrating the use of Bino's by the commander while turned out. Still a lot of kinks to work out with implementing FFV as the documentation on it isn't very clear but as a proof of concept i think this does a reasonable job lol