Sign in to follow this  
teeha

GPNVG18 Panoramic Nightvision

Should brightness control and film grain be added to the mod?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Should brightness control and film grain be added to the mod?

• Yes
    • No

====================================================================================================

L3-GPNVG18 Panoramic Night Vision Goggles

====================================================================================================

XxfHi4p.jpg

After reading No Easy Day I have always wanted to have the 4 tube NVG's they used on Operation Neptune Spear in Arma III. With the help of forum members (Especially Warlord554) it's now actually in-game and working.

It allow's their users to be able to view a much higher portion of the screen giving you much more situational awareness especially in CQB enviornments.

Currently there are 4 versions of the NVG18's that are implemented into the mod.

- Tan W/O Battery Box -

- Tan W/ Battery Box -

- Black W/O Battery Box -

- Black W/ Battery Box -

Something I have been considering is having the NVG's require a battery that would run out of a charge after a certain amount of time but I haven't started working on that yet and it's not a priority for me.

At this point the only thing keeping me from releasing it is that the mount needs to be extended and have head band that went around the operators head so it would work for more types of helmets/hats.

Expecting to release it very soon!

Heard very nice things from a buddy of yours in Armaholic forum

Hehe, very nice work on this NV goggles ! I'm looking forward to use this in my stealth night missions. :)

Cool! could you make a comparison screen with the regular NVG view and yours? Curious how it differs in-game!

Nice work, look forward to it.

Something I have been considering is having the NVG's require a battery that would run out of a charge after a certain amount of time but I haven't started working on that yet and it's not a priority for me

I could never understand how such an important feature is not in default game, it's like never ending fuel, i hope you do get around to it one day :)

i hope you do get around to it one day

It's something that I am planning on doing and if everything turns out to work just fine I might also implement that into the default A3 NVG's but it's not something that is going to keep me from releasing it at this point.

Cool! could you make a comparison screen with the regular NVG view and yours?

Ill get some pictures soon but that's something i'm trying to have people test to see what they like the most. Maybe ill put up a few different pictures and see which one's you guys like. :)

I have several different view variants Teeha, I'll send if needed. The current one was based off actual research data. Still alot that needs fine tuning, but they have turned out great so far. You guys are going to love them :)

It's been an honor working on this project and I will remain on the project as long as he needs me

arma3%202014-07-01%2009-33-20-07_zpsyezq3vyp.jpg

I could never understand how such an important feature is not in default game, it's like never ending fuel, i hope you do get around to it one day :)

For what it's worth, at least with 2-tube NVGs, they run much longer than you'd probably play in a sitting of Arma. They also have two different sets of batteries in a battery pack, so if one dies, you just flip to the other one. I've gone 6+ hours on a single set of batteries, and if they did die, I could just switch over to the other set that are in the battery pack.

Well, I was thinking that a set of batteries would probably only last 45 minutes to 1 hour but that's just a thought and when it actually gets working (If we can figure out how to do it) we might make it longer/shorter depending on the feedback I get from people in the community i'm in as well as you guys here on the forums.

Well, I was thinking that a set of batteries would probably only last 45 minutes to 1 hour but that's just a thought and when it actually gets working (If we can figure out how to do it) we might make it longer/shorter depending on the feedback I get from people in the community i'm in as well as you guys here on the forums.

I guess the battery limit on the NODs would be awesome. To be honest, I have never seen NODs that survive on battery life in arma, this would be the first. If there were others like that, I must have missed out on them. But I got to ask, if youre going to put the larger field of view for this particular NOD, would it affect the default vanilla NOD? Well in my group of friends, we try to follow loudouts of the actual military when we play, so we have groups of rangers/marines etc and a group of seals, so if the seals were to use this awesome mod, will the rest of the guys using normal NODs get the larger field of view as well?

No. Only the view of these goggles are modified to use the wider FOV. So if let's say you're doing a mission where you are playing as SEALs using these NODs and you have a team of Rangers defending using the default A3 NODs they would have the normal, default view.

I'll have some different views to put up soon but some are not working correctly and I don't want to post anything that I don't know for sure will actually work in-game.

No. Only the view of these goggles are modified to use the wider FOV. So if let's say you're doing a mission where you are playing as SEALs using these NODs and you have a team of Rangers defending using the default A3 NODs they would have the normal, default view.

I'll have some different views to put up soon but some are not working correctly and I don't want to post anything that I don't know for sure will actually work in-game.

That's awesome man! Really dont know how you managed to make that happen but you just made my day with this post! Hahaha, was just a little worried as I had been using TMR for awhile, and really loved the new scope overlays which made the ARCO "Elcan Spectre copy" scope more realistic, but it had conflicts with the BWmod scopes, so I thought it was overlays that would affect it the same way as the NODs, but thanks for clearing all that up! And how is the battery life thing gonna work? Just wondering, as I think its gonna be a great addition to realism! Good luck with the mod, cant wait for the end product!

Glad to hear you're looking forward to it!

For what it's worth, at least with 2-tube NVGs, they run much longer than you'd probably play in a sitting of Arma. They also have two different sets of batteries in a battery pack, so if one dies, you just flip to the other one. I've gone 6+ hours on a single set of batteries, and if they did die, I could just switch over to the other set that are in the battery pack.

Ah ok, Must be AAA batteries unlike the ones I have I'm my torch - I've never used NVGs, trying to justify a reason to get some, bit hard when the missus wants new sewing machine, washing machine :D

I had a pair of PVS 14s when I was in the Army and the batteries would last pretty long. They were just basic AA and while I always had spares they would last a couple of weeks on average with normal use

L3s GPNVG-18 model is powered by a four pack of CR123a batteries which will last around 30 hours according to TNVC.

L3-GPNVG18 Panoramic Night Vision Goggles

http://i.imgur.com/XxfHi4p.jpg

After reading No Easy Day I have always wanted to have the 4 tube NVG's they used on Operation Neptune Spear in Arma III. With the help of forum members (Especially Warlord554) it's now actually in-game and working.

It allow's their users to be able to view a much higher portion of the screen giving you much more situational awareness especially in CQB enviornments.

Currently there are 4 versions of the NVG18's that are implemented into the mod.

- Tan W/O Battery Box -

- Tan W/ Battery Box -

- Black W/O Battery Box -

- Black W/ Battery Box -

Something I have been considering is having the NVG's require a battery that would run out of a charge after a certain amount of time but I haven't started working on that yet and it's not a priority for me.

At this point the only thing keeping me from releasing it is that the mount needs to be extended and have head band that went around the operators head so it would work for more types of helmets/hats.

Expecting to release it very soon!

Did you make the model and textures? if not who did?

To everyone talking about the length of the battery life, I think that we have to take into account that in Arma you're not normally doing single missions that last an extremely long time such as 30 hours for the real life version of the NVG's. With that, they wont probably last any longer than 2 hours or any less than 45 minutes because i'm not aiming for 1:1 realism but rather just another thing you have to take into account while prepping for a mission. I will also plan on releasing a version that doesn't require batteries for all of you who don't want to use it. :)

As for the model/texture a friend of mine made the original model for me but I and Warlord554 have done some modifications to it and for the textures Warlord made the original one including the _as, _nohq, and _smdi textures but I have made a couple different variants of that original texture myself.

Sounds like the overall best solution. The mission maker can make the call.

The AN/AVS-9s I use at work have two sets of 2 AA batteries in a battery pack, and if fresh, they last many, many hours 4-6+ per battery set...probably more).

I believe they are just a futuristic version of the GPNVG model as they are far from being accurate GPNVGs. Kind of like the Arma 3 nods which look like 15s with a plastic case.

I think people were just pointing out that it isnt very accurate in size when compared to GPNVGs, I was unsure if you had intended it to be that way or it accidentally happened.

Size is something we can modify manually and we can always make it smaller if we see it as being too big but at this point that's not the primary part we are working on. At this point we are working on getting the headband to go around the player's head so it's not just floating in front of their face when you don't have a helmet on. The pictures we provided so far are from what we originally got in-game and as Warlord said there is a fair bit of fine tuning still to be done.

Thanks for the input though! I'll make sure to make them a bit smaller to better match a size similar to the one in this picture.

https://tnvc.com/shop/images/80729/GPNVG18_16.jpg/

The model is actually quite beautiful, they did an excellent job. The textures were a quick placeholder but turned out better than I thought they would. I spent most of my time getting the specular and gloss maps looking presentable. Size is very much WIP, and testing will be done throughout the extent of the project. Its def game ready, but as Teeha said we want to do some tweaking and release quality work :)