Sign in to follow this  
UltimateBawb

How well threaded is the Arma 3 server executable?

I'm considering building a dedicated server computer with a spare FX9590 (spare me the tirade, I know), how well could this processor with a decent amount of memory run an Arma 3 server? Will it take advantage of all 8 cores?

The -enableHT parameter was implemented in the last stable branch which apparently took advantage of hyper-threading for servers/clients. However, I'm not sure if this has made a huge difference for us. It's a well-known fact that Arma (both server and clients) makes very little usage of all your processor's power. So, short answer - not no, it won't take advantage of all 8 cores (unless you plan on running multiple Arma servers side-by-side).

Also, with this server you're planning to build, where will it be hosted? If you're hosting the box at home, I'd say there's very little point in making a server and you're better off sticking with hosting from your current computer. Without a dedicated line from a data centre (e.g. 100Mbit up/down), you'll find yourself getting desync/lag with anything more than 10 players (and that's if your home internet is very good). If you're planning to send the computer off to a data centre to be hosted there, ignore this paragraph ;)

Also, with this server you're planning to build, where will it be hosted? If you're hosting the box at home, I'd say there's very little point in making a server and you're better off sticking with hosting from your current computer. Without a dedicated line from a data centre (e.g. 100Mbit up/down), you'll find yourself getting desync/lag with anything more than 10 players (and that's if your home internet is very good). If you're planning to send the computer off to a data centre to be hosted there, ignore this paragraph ;)

Thats not entirely true, i ran a 40 man server from home, with 30/30 Mbit connection just fine, and a hell of alot cheaper then renting a dedi at a data center :)

Arma requires a fast connection yes, but you dont really need a dedicated 100 Mbit line, in order to host a server without lag tbh.

Thats not entirely true, i ran a 40 man server from home, with 30/30 Mbit connection just fine, and a hell of alot cheaper then renting a dedi at a data center :)

Arma requires a fast connection yes, but you dont really need a dedicated 100 Mbit line, in order to host a server without lag tbh.

Hmm, interesting. In my experience we always get desync/low frames after around 10 players (if hosted locally). I have a 70/20 connection.

What are everyone's frames like? Are you talking AIvsPlayers or just PvP?

Edited by Goodson

Hmm, interesting. In my experience we always get desync/low frames after around 10 players (if hosted locally). I have a 70/20 connection.

What are everyone's frames like? Are you talking AIvsPlayers or just PvP?

Mostly pvp, so i suspect thats why, we only ran small tests of AI missions.

But we had good frames and a good connection, i did it with an Arma II server aswell, to run DayZ, worked just fine :)

The AI sync is what takes up a lot of the bandwidth.