Sign in to follow this  
david-grylls

How to use and setup a Chat.sqf File

So recently I have been wanting to make missions where radio side chat has little chats and stuff that appear. I know you can in fact create Radio Chatter by using triggers, units, waypoints etc but recently I read that you can use chat.sqf files.

The example was:

player1 sideChat "text";
sleep 5;
player2 sideChat "text";
sleep 5;
player1 sideChat "text""

Then save the file as a chat.sqf to the mission folder.

The person then said you just put this in the ON ACT part of the Trigger or whatever.

nul=[] execVM "chat.sqf"

When I went and tried this it failed to work. Do I need to put something else in like init.sqf. I've searched Youtube, the BIH Forums, ArmA Holic, everything and no sources have helped! Please help as it would really assist in my map making hobby. :):):)

If the trigger isn't being triggered by anything then it won't run that file. I'd try to run it via init.sqf.

[] execVM "chat.sqf";

Btw, I have to ask. Any relation to bear?

Nah, It's just a joke. I needed a name for the Skits I was doing and David Attenbrough was on T.V and David Grylls has an unusual last name, hence David Grylls. Oh, and the trigger is just been triggered by a car. The scenario I am currently on is two guys chatting at a checkpoint with cars etc passing by. I tried triggering it when a certain car passed by but it failed to work.

Here is a good thread all about chat scripts, and also syncing sound files to the dialog.

Are you sure you have player1 variable initialized? Try using player instead of player1 as player points to your current player.

Are you sure you have player1 variable initialized? Try using player instead of player1 as player points to your current player.

The player1 is just to demonstrate. E.g.

Blackberry sideChat "text";
sleep 5;
Carrier sideChat "text";

I was just using player1 as an example and naming the unit cancels out player1.