Sign in to follow this  
surfer

[CP4] Somewhere In Siberia - Stalkers/Testers wanted

ArmA3 is so much better for a STALKER Mod/Mission then ARMA2, just look at the fog ! :)

I don't know, Arma2 feels grimmer to me, wich isn't a bad thing for a Stalker game! ;P

Yes, Chernarus and the civil war setting of Arma 2 felt somewhat darker. I'm looking forward to properly done or ported A2 maps and matching units to have this feeling again. Arma 3 is great but Altis and all the civies in shorts just feel too much like summer vacation.

Yeah, somehow I doubt that everyone wears shorts in Greece! ^^

Plus, apart from the worker and hunter outfits, nobody seems to have a job there. I'm really missing guys in suits or at least in long pants...

ArmA3 is so much better for a STALKER Mod/Mission then ARMA2, just look at the fog ! :)

Actually what you see in the Altis/Stratis videos is not fog but a ppEffect color correction. I think this could be 1:1 used in A2 as well.

But I agree that the A2 maps or even OFP would fit the scenario much better. At least there's some factory buildings, bunkers and unfinished buildings hidden in the A3 editor which can be used to give it the OFP touch.

Good news guys!!!

Stalker games content is free to port!

Quote from the Stalker units page :

Credits

GSC Gameworld - Permission to port based on this quote:

"According to Anton Bolshakov the project manager, on 2007-05-29, GSC grants users rights to modification and non-commercial use of the game content.

Users retain ownership of their contributed materials, but require GSC's permission for commercial use.

If GSC decides that it wants to publish a mod, it will negotiate royalties with the mod author."

See Google to verify (Direct links doesn't seem to work for this forum)

http://tinyurl.com/y8m6enp

:yay: Yay!

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

At least there's some factory buildings, bunkers and unfinished buildings hidden in the A3 editor which can be used to give it the OFP touch.

How did you get access to those? I'm really curious. ;)

Well, Arma 2 actually had amazing fog in my opinion. The "standard-engine-fog" was crap but the scripted one was really good. Always thinking of the "Delaying the Bear" mission, nothing happened there but the atmosphere was awesome due to colour corrections and scripted fog. But the fog they used in some East Wind missions is pretty great as well.

Finally and with the invaluable support of IndeedPete I'm happy to pack the latest version of "Somewhere In Siberia". It will be my pleasure to send the .pbo to anyone interested in testing it. I'm especially curious how it runs in MP, so if anybody has the chance to test this aspect, please let me know!

So what's new? Additionally to what I've updated on the main page:

- the storyline is more complete now, leading you to the interesting locations.

- custom textures are much more refined now.

- there's descriptions of the factions, the zone, blowouts and anomalies in the map screen.

- additional music

- now with random generated hazard zones and freezer anomalies.

- more enemies

- more tasks

Future plans:

- now that I've figured out how to create a decent lighting on Altis I feel that it makes much more sense to continue the story there. Siberia/Thirsk will be the prologue with a lot of very time consuming scripting and storytelling vs. Altis which will be more random generated and MP oriented.

- I will create at least one or two more anomalies and one more style of blowout.

- Once done I will drag all locations/NPCs/hazard zones that make sense over to Altis and do what I like best: Create further atmosphere with vanilla objects and additional custom sounds and textures.

Surfer, your PM box is full... tried to respond you tonight, but it got back due to box overload! Just some playtest doubts ;)

cheers!

Hey Surfer, how´s the development going? Have you updated your A3 to have a better use of Toadies2K HLC AKs? ;)

BTW, I´ve seen many STALKER missions on A3 Chernobyl map, thou it is a little buggish, you could try your amnomalies and blowouts scripts on there =)

I´ll try to playtest the latest mission you´ve sent me, but so far, things (I mean, amnomalies) were all good, I mean, great!

cheers man!

It's not a problem of getting the AKs into the Siberian mission but of having the mission dependent on it, meaning to cut the 1% of gamers that use the Thirsk map to even less gamers that use Thirsk and the AKs. Porting it to the "bugged" Chernobyl map would probably reduce the possible users even further...

But next time I'm opening it I will save a "Corporal Lib Limited Edition", since you are the only one interested in it anyway :-D

...since you are the only one interested in it anyway :-D

Not true! ;)

Apologies, IndeedPete! It should say "the only one that's not part of the core team" ;-)

I Think that an open beta would broaden the audience (and the feedback), Surfer! I think the missiion on this current state is effective and all around playable, haven´t found gamebreaking issues (that truck killing players and AI at the beggining was my fault, probably redphoenix´s enhanced vehicles I think...) and the story is quite compelling, I´m certain STALKERs fans will dl and try it if it was open right now =)

cheers!

;2764390']I Think that an open beta would broaden the audience

+1

A good deal of Arma players do know (and luv) STALKER, I'm sure people would be happy to see a public release.

Surfer, I'd like to help test your mission if you still need testers. I really enjoyed the Stalker series and I have just begun to delve into Lost Alpha. In ArmA I have played a few other postapocalyptic missions and campaigns which tried to re-create the Stalker feel. My squad is quite active but I am not sure how many of us are interested in your project. Two of us will definetely test your mission, we hope to fill the remaining slots later.

Seconded. Been waiting for something like this for a while (long-time Stalker fan), I could rustle up some guys who would love to try out a Stalker-themed coop mission as well.

Apologies, IndeedPete! It should say "the only one that's not part of the core team" ;-)

Hey now you know better then that, we have been testing it out for you. Have you managed to recreate some of the bugs we had?

Twiztid

Sorry Lads, have been a little busy in real life lately.

Edit: Finally got the snow working and I tell you it looks beautiful, giving the whole scenario even more atmosphere. The anomalies during spawn couldn't be fixed yet. If they happen to you simply restart.

I tried alternative revives but both Grime's Revive and Psychobastard's have been incompatible. This results from numerous parallel entries in dialogs.hpp. I spent one night trying to fix it but it only resulted in more errors. So as written in the original post: If IndeedPete and I used weeks to create the mission it's only fair if you need some time to complete it as well ;-)

Edited by Surfer

Find the download link on page 1! Good luck, fellow Stalker!

Great, you finally got the public beta out! I still think you should release an alternate mission with HLC AKs to keep the STALKER spirit ;D

Thanks for the "inspiration" credit ;* gotta play it too (couldn´t play it seriously before cus a bug on GVP18NVG - which I wasn´t aware till yesterday - was preventing me from loading saved games =P ) and compare with the beta version I still have lol

[edit] Ohhh I see there´s already 2 HLC AK pack weapons on inventory... great ;)

cheers!

Edited by Corporal_Lib[BR]