Victim9l3

How to override random

Since bi decided to make FIA units spawn with random headgear, I can't go around it.

I used this "THIS addHeadgear "H_Booniehat_indp";" as an example. It works on non FIA units but not FIA. They continue to want to wear stupid surfer bandanas and other things, but will not let me change it.

I even looked at the pbo to see the list of random options and I selected headgear that is supposed to work on those units.

Why would bi make random a default for anything. As mission makers we usually choose everything specifically. And if we want something random, we make it random. It doesn't make sense. It's about control and making units or vehicles random takes out the point of creation. Put random in the armory or bootcamp or whatever, but not mission making/editor.

Random should not be default. Not for mission makers.

Thanks.

p.s. I was also looking for the previous guerilla1 uniform. The one for rifleman. I thought maybe I could script in an occasional unit to still have the old one, just like hidden selections for vehicles. But I can't find it anywhere. I saved the entire game as a backup 2 different times and I can't find that uniform in any of them.

The reason you can't change the FIA's headgear is because BIS's randomization script is likely over-riding whatever you try to add. You need to wait for the randomization script to finish, then you can change the headgear. use:

null=this spawn {sleep 1; _this addHeadgear "H_Booniehat_indp";};

inside the unit's initialization. That "should" work.

*EDIT - added "null=" to prevent editor error*

Edited by Kerbanator

Sleep doesn't work in unscheduled environment. Don't do that from the editor Init. field.

Run a script, delay the addheadgear, and it should work. Maybe removeheadgear first?

Sleep doesn't work in unscheduled environment. Don't do that from the editor Init. field.

Using "spawn" is the equivalent of running a script, its a scheduled environment.

My guess is that players/mission makers weren't complaining enough.

It's a pain to prevent all that random headgear stuff from happening, same goes for the random textures for civilian vehicles (has been fixed though).

Way beyond me why they added the headgear randomization to FIA units now, since civilians were the only ones doing it until now.

http://killzonekid.com/arma-annoyances-say-no-to-randomize/

I've hated this randomization since OA, what's it's actual purpose?

I've hated this randomization since OA, what's it's actual purpose?

Variation in units that are the same.

Variation in units that are the same.

Ha! thats what i get for asking stupid questions :D

Well i realize that, but in my opinion it doesnt work? and limits mission making..

The reason you can't change the FIA's headgear is because BIS's randomization script is likely over-riding whatever you try to add. You need to wait for the randomization script to finish, then you can change the headgear. use:
null=this spawn {sleep 1; _this addHeadgear "H_Booniehat_indp";};

inside the unit's initialization. That "should" work.

*EDIT - added "null=" to prevent editor error*

Thanks for the work around, works great!

…

The randomization script counts with a possibility to turn randomization off. If you want to do so, insert the following to the init of the character in the editor:

this setVariable ["BIS_enableRandomization", false];

This way, the randomization script won't run and the configured headgear/facewear will be used.

P.S.: The guerrilla1_1 uniform has been replaced by the new one, so the older version is no longer available.

• Like 1

The randomization script counts with a possibility to turn randomization off. If you want to do so, insert the following to the init of the character in the editor:

This way, the randomization script won't run and the configured headgear/facewear will be used.

P.S.: The guerrilla1_1 uniform has been replaced by the new one, so the older version is no longer available.

Wow, really? Does this work for every randomized unit?

Great news!

Cheers

Wow, really? Does this work for every randomized unit?

Great news!

Cheers

As far as I know, it shall work. If somewhere it doesn't, feel free to let me know.

Good to know, gonna test a bit.

On a sidenote: Do you happen to know how to return the randomly generated license numbers of civilian vehicles? Would help a ton!

Thanks

Beautiful! Thanks ever so Locklear!

Good to know, gonna test a bit.

On a sidenote: Do you happen to know how to return the randomly generated license numbers of civilian vehicles? Would help a ton!

Thanks

Generating license numbers works differently, so the randomization cannot be turned off. Also, I am not aware of any way how to get the number of a vehicle. I'm sorry.

Generating license numbers works differently, so the randomization cannot be turned off. Also, I am not aware of any way how to get the number of a vehicle. I'm sorry.

No harm done,

Cheers!

On 02/07/2014 at 2:42 PM, Locklear said:

Hi ! Sorry to resurect this old thread but your solution doesn't seem to work for me. I've been searching everywhere but I can't find an answer ... :/

Even if I insert this in the init field the uniform and gear are still random when I launch the mission

On 7/2/2014 at 8:42 AM, Locklear said:

That would work for random units but I think what I'm experiencing is that the player profile headgear is overriding the editor headgear I put on my guy...