Sign in to follow this  
infection

1.63 Script issues

I'm receiving some odd error messages since the latest patch(1.63).

Everything is giving the error undefined variable pretty much but the odd thing is even normal commands are doing it.

The major thing I'd say is the first error being

Error in expression <;
_recompile = (count _this) > 0;

if (BIS_fnc_init && !_recompile) exitwith {t>
 Error position: <BIS_fnc_init && !_recompile) exitwith {t>
 Error Undefined variable in expression: bis_fnc_init
File ca\Modules\Functions\init.sqf, line 28

Has anyone else encountered this?

Kinda need a solution fast.

I'm receiving some odd error messages since the latest patch(1.63).

Everything is giving the error undefined variable pretty much but the odd thing is even normal commands are doing it.

The major thing I'd say is the first error being

Error in expression <;
_recompile = (count _this) > 0;

Has anyone else encountered this?

Kinda need a solution fast.

I am having the same exact problem with none of the variables are loading and are all coming up undefined. I really dont know what to do.

hm.... we notice aswel when we first got online after the update that there was something wrong with the variables of the mission i.e.

Battle Eye kicked everyone for the mission variables..... don't know if you guys have this issue aswel...

we fixed it by removeing the listed lines in the BE scripts.

still undergoing errors in sudden crashes do.....

Was there any change in script handling of the game after 1.63?

i think it's a known issue to BIS

Yeah, take a look at this thread.

BIS seems to have made their sqf-interpreter more strict at some point with respect to uninitialized variables. Now, while this is a good thing in the first place (the interpreter now can warn you in case you write shitty code), they've missed to fix up their own, and apparently sloppily written, code. Unfortunatly some rather important parts are affected, including the BIS function module.

Let's hope, BIS still manages to assign some manpower to get these things fixed.

You can try to hack around some of these problems (see above mentioned thread), but that's IMHO a terrible idea.

Personally I'm back to 1.62.

:(

Yeah, take a look at this thread.

BIS seems to have made their sqf-interpreter more strict at some point with respect to uninitialized variables. Now, while this is a good thing in the first place (the interpreter now can warn you in case you write shitty code), they've missed to fix up their own, and apparently sloppily written, code. Unfortunatly some rather important parts are affected, including the BIS function module.

Let's hope, BIS still manages to assign some manpower to get these things fixed.

You can try to hack around some of these problems (see above mentioned thread), but that's IMHO a terrible idea.

Personally I'm back to 1.62.

:(

Yeah we shouldn't need to fix bi's scripts for them.

What I want to know is what they changed that now i get Undefined Variables and Bad Position errors for most of my code in my mission. I wish BIS got there head out of there ass and would give us an detailed list of all code syntax they changed. The change log they have says virtually nothing about any of these errors.

Yeah its kind of ridiculous, how are we supposed to test and look for legitimate errors in our work now?

Look these are just warnings. There is no change in functionality, no new broken code.

What has not been working before silently, is just shown now. Thats all.

Yes its annoying, however one can disable/not use -showScriptErrors command at least for playing.

So for your own code you should see it as a benefit and opportunity to fix your issues.

There are various threads that explain why an undef var is a problem and how to solve it.

;2721004']Look these are just warnings. There is no change in functionality' date=' no new broken code.

What has not been working before silently, is just shown now. Thats all.

Yes its annoying, however one can disable/not use -showScriptErrors command at least for playing.

So for your own code you should see it as a benefit and opportunity to fix your issues.

There are various threads that explain why an undef var is a problem and how to solve it.[/quote']

Well now I'm having issues with things that used to work perfectly, now they simply don't work at all.

;2721004']Look these are just warnings. There is no change in functionality' date=' no new broken code. [...'] Yes its annoying, [...]

Just warnings? This is how a warning looks like:

Warning: looped for animation: ca\anims\characters\data\anim\sdr\mov\erc\wlk\non\non\amovpercmwlksnonwnondf.rtm differs (looped now 1)! MoveName: amovpercmrunsnonwbindf_rfl

or stuff like this is fine too, I guess (we all prefer a clean RPT file, eh?):

House 482d2400# 1071267: stan_east.p3d (to) not found in the operative map
House not found in the list

And that's what I'd call (slightly) annoying.

But at least I can instantly see what's important to me or not while (continously) skimming the RPT file.

Now this:

or stuff like this:

if _doFilter then {
(_filterSets select IGU>
Error position: <_doFilter then {
(_filterSets select IGU>
Error Undefined variable in expression: _dofilter
File ca\ui\scripts\handleGear.sqf, line 521

is clearly not just a warning. And it's really hard to just ignore this stuff as noise. Turning off logging alltogheter isn't an option either (nobody speaks of just playing; this is the editing section of the forum).

Scripting with 1.63 is a nightmare. And this needs to be fixed.

That the code isn't really more broken than before doesn't even matter that much.

;2721004']

There are various threads that explain why an undef var is a problem and how to solve it.

Ehhh, yes? But if BIS is unwilling to fix/clean up their own code, so many missions/mods (or what not) rely on, then maybe, just maybe it would have been the better option to keep suppressing this "warning" in Arma2, and introduce it with Arma3. :rolleyes:

If you have links to those threads because my Takistan Life server is down now and key parts that were working before and now everything is fucked.

just maybe it would have been the better option to keep suppressing this "warning" in Arma2, and introduce it with Arma3

thats correct

The update has broken LEA (which my group uses to script our loadouts) and in addition has just introduced so many many problems for people to start up their game or join the server.

It seems like a lot of unnecessary changes, and this update threatens to tear apart my community, which has been going strong till now. We can't just sit on our hands until BIS fixes their shit.

The update has broken LEA (which my group uses to script our loadouts) and in addition has just introduced so many many problems for people to start up their game or join the server.

It seems like a lot of unnecessary changes, and this update threatens to tear apart my community, which has been going strong till now. We can't just sit on our hands until BIS fixes their shit.

I don't use LEA anymore but I'm curious, what stopped working?

1.63 is a big update, and most welcomed by me. It has fixed things within my community like a long-lasting bug with the ShackTac HUD (due to requirement of Beta 1.62), but besides the Gamespy -> Steam, most bugs/glitches fixed are not noticeable that easy.

I admit, at first it was quite a hassle getting my game (and others) working due to our excessive usage of Play withSix, but luckily it has been updated about 11 hours ago, supporting the latest patch which makes starting up your game and join the server as easy as it was before, again.

If a single update breaks your community, I'm sorry, but that community is quite fragile then.

My ahead apologizes for sounding like a dick, but I think you should always look at the bright side of stuff as well as the dark side.

Kind regards,

Sanchez

I don't use LEA anymore but I'm curious, what stopped working?

1.63 is a big update, and most welcomed by me. It has fixed things within my community like a long-lasting bug with the ShackTac HUD (due to requirement of Beta 1.62), but besides the Gamespy -> Steam, most bugs/glitches fixed are not noticeable that easy.

I admit, at first it was quite a hassle getting my game (and others) working due to our excessive usage of Play withSix, but luckily it has been updated about 11 hours ago, supporting the latest patch which makes starting up your game and join the server as easy as it was before, again.

If a single update breaks your community, I'm sorry, but that community is quite fragile then.

My ahead apologizes for sounding like a dick, but I think you should always look at the bright side of stuff as well as the dark side.

Kind regards,

Sanchez

The update has caused the scripts to be read differently it seems, not only does every single script (whether it be ACE or UPSMON or something similar) report as an error, even BIS scripts report as errors, but in LEA the minute it gets to an empty slot (or sometimes even filled slots) it suddenly breaks the script and stops kitting them out. We are working on trying to repair this (making our own scripted loadouts suffers the same issue, as I spent a long time yesterday making a loadout script only to see it suffer the same issue. The only solution is making a script for each unit, or doing it in their inits.

This is less 'a single update breaking the community' and more, 'a single update that breaks a lot of things within the game, causes many players to have the greatest issue just STARTING their game, and making it a hassle just to play a session being a very high possibility for breaking the foundation of the community.

If we cannot play Arma 2, it is hard to be an Arma 2 community.

If you have an alternative way to loadout units that works without being a giant hassle, I would love to hear it. I've also contacted Major Shepard to see if he can figure out what is causing the issue.

Either way, this update has brought nothing to us that we felt we needed. (Nothing was broken before.)

What they seemingly changed is their interpreter breaks script execution as soon as there is any undefined variable, the interpreter previously seemed to just ignore these variables, and continue executing code. If there's any chance for an undefined variable to pop up, you now have to manually check if it is undefined in your scripts, which sucks coming all of a sudden.

There's also errors in High Command modules.

Error in expression <lize "STR_HC_MENU_WAITUNTIL" + ":";

if (_wp_wait_value in _wp_wait_radiostrings)>

Error position: <_wp_wait_value in _wp_wait_radiostrings)>

Error Undefined variable in expression: _wp_wait_value

File ca\modules\HC\data\scripts\HC_GUI_stat.sqf, line 146

There is tons of these in BI missions and scripts

It's more than modules or missions, I also got this when a Su-25/Su-34 was destroyed

Error in expression < select 2]};

_tv=abs(_xv)+abs(_yv)+abs(_zv);

if (_tv>2) then {_dr=1/_tv} else {>

Error position: <_zv);

if (_tv>2) then {_dr=1/_tv} else {>

Error Undefined variable in expression: _zv

File ca\Data\ParticleEffects\SCRIPTS\destruction\AirDestructionStage2.sqf, line 59

I installed the Steam version of A2 today so I could check out what everyone's saying about the 1.63 patch. I am horrified at all the script error popups. I understand the bugs have always been there, I agree the parser should be more verbose, but this late in Arma 2's life cycle there's no added value in it. I mostly spend time in the mission editor and I need showScriptErrors to be on for my own scripts, but I start getting BIS script errors from the main menu. One addon I require uses the BIS artillery module, so that's an error. Hit preview on a mission, errors. Every time I open my gear dialog box, errors. Blow up something, errors. And so on, all BIS script errors. It's too distracting to test mission design with all these frivolous errors that I can't do anything about. Running version 1.63.125548.

It almost seems as if they sabotaged Arma 2 so we hopefully move to Arma 3. I already own Arma 3, but prefer to play OA, but with errors such as these:

in their own core files...

It almost seems as if they sabotaged Arma 2 so we hopefully move to Arma 3. I already own Arma 3, but prefer to play OA, but with errors such as these:

in their own core files...

Sadly it is obvious that they broke the game on purpose. I honestly cannot find one reason for this change at this point in A2's life cycle. Maybe if they fixed their own code first. Maybe if they implemented this a long ass time ago. Maybe if they gave people a head's up that it was coming AFTER fixing their own code. But they didn't. Instead they wait until now and purposefully break their own code when the changes add nothing beneficial at all. I played A3 quite a bit from the first moment it was on Steam to release but the map is shit, everything looks dead and definitely not a place I would ever want to spend time so I stay with A2. Stand Alone is a waste of time with nothing to do so I stick with Epoch on A2. Maybe they should have waited until the games they are pushing people towards actually have value over their old releases. Shame really because I think it will backfire and drive a lot of people away from their brand altogether.

Is this actually breaking anything though? From what I can tell script still run just fine and combine -noLogs and -showScriptErrors you are good to go. Yes it's annoying when testing out missions/scripts.

I've tried a few different well-known A2 script and despite the errors things work just fine (DAC was one of those).