shadow71

battleye fails to install.

Hello everyone, I have been playing arma for 3 years now and today I have come across a problem.

I played wasteland a few minutes before I decided to play DayZ Overpoch.

I watched a youtube video explaining to me what to do in order to play. Link here :

After doing this, I tried running my OA but I got this error.

2ibsAYh.png?1[/img] It says " Failed to start Battleye service" "Installing Battleye service" "Failed to install battleye service"

I have reinstalled my game, my battleye and have searched for a few hours....

Go into processes and make sure BEService.exe isnt running. Make sure to check under all users.

The solution that worked for me was : C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\BattlEye -> Download File assassin and Delete ALL the files inside the battleye folder.

Run steam and start OA.

Edited by Shadow71

Do you get an UAC prompt when the "Installing BattlEye Service..." message shows up? If not please try to start Steam as administrator.

Do you get an UAC prompt when the "Installing BattlEye Service..." message shows up? If not please try to start Steam as administrator.

Ran steam as Admin, same problem. Black screen pops up and gives me errors.

Ran steam as Admin, same problem. Black screen pops up and gives me errors.

Do you use some security software (anti-virus, etc.) that might be blocking BE?

Do you use some security software (anti-virus, etc.) that might be blocking BE?

Nah, it's allowed through my Firewall.

Nah, it's allowed through my Firewall.

Still, something on your system prevents the BE Service from being started. I'm afraid I cannot tell you what that is. :(

Still, something on your system prevents the BE Service from being started. I'm afraid I cannot tell you what that is. :(

Did you watch the video?

Maybe something I did there prevented it from starting?

Maybe something I did there prevented it from starting?

No, definitely not.

i got the same problem with this new update

No, definitely not.

It was fine before I did that so I tried restoring my old files but I can't restore it.

Need a fix :(

please fix this problem i can't play dayz now or launch my game

It was fine before I did that so I tried restoring my old files but I can't restore it.

Need a fix :(

You can delete the BE Service directory ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\BattlEye") and then try again, but this likely won't help either.

As I said, the problem is that something on your system blocks the BE Service.

Just turned on Steam, and Operation Arrowhead starts updating with a 20.1MB file, which turns out to be beservice.exe (battleye update). When the update finishes, Norton starts acting like its baby is being bludgeoned to death, screaming about beservice.exe being Trojan.ADH.SMH, with scary crimson red warnings.

Now, I'm not trying to bash you guys, but, wouldn't it be advantageous to have a consensus with AV companies (at least major and popular ones) that your files are safe? Of course, this statement was made under the assumption that there actually was a legitimate Arma 2 OA update on Steam today (I can only assume that there was, seeing as there has been quite a bit of hubbub about Gamespy going to pot, Steam picking up the reins, and numerous new posts being made in this thread).

By all means though, let me know if my assumptions are wrong so I can purify my computer with fire, and join a monastery. :j:

You can delete the BE Service directory ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\BattlEye") and then try again, but this likely won't help either.

As I said, the problem is that something on your system blocks the BE Service.

Unfortunately I had quite a bit of a problem deleting the folder due to administrative access being denied even though I was the administrator and I even checked the permissions. I had to use File Assassin by malware bytes to delete the BE service. After doing so I was able to update succesfully and now everything is working perfectly. Hopefully others can see this post and see that it does infact help and has nothing to do with AV/Firewall.

Just turned on Steam, and Operation Arrowhead starts updating with a 20.1MB file, which turns out to be beservice.exe (battleye update). When the update finishes, Norton starts acting like its baby is being bludgeoned to death, screaming about beservice.exe being Trojan.ADH.SMH, with scary crimson red warnings.

Now, I'm not trying to bash you guys, but, wouldn't it be advantageous to have a consensus with AV companies (at least major and popular ones) that your files are safe? Of course, this statement was made under the assumption that there actually was a legitimate Arma 2 OA update on Steam today (I can only assume that there was, seeing as there has been quite a bit of hubbub about Gamespy going to pot, Steam picking up the reins, and numerous new posts being made in this thread).

By all means though, let me know if my assumptions are wrong so I can purify my computer with fire, and join a monastery. :j:

Please see http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?179734-ArmA2-OA-an-Steam-patch-Trojan-ADH-SMH&p=2719813&viewfull=1#post2719813.

Unfortunately I had quite a bit of a problem deleting the folder due to administrative access being denied even though I was the administrator and I even checked the permissions. I had to use File Assassin by malware bytes to delete the BE service. After doing so I was able to update succesfully and now everything is working perfectly. Hopefully others can see this post and see that it does infact help and has nothing to do with AV/Firewall.

Great to hear, but note that the reason for the permission issues most likely indeed was either security software (maybe installed in the past?) or malware.

I have tried deleting it with file assassin but it says it cannot delete the file!

What sorcery is this.

I have tried deleting it with file assassin but it says it cannot delete the file!

What sorcery is this.

I suppose BEService.exe isn't running (check processes of all users in Task Manager)?

I suppose BEService.exe isn't running (check processes of all users in Task Manager)?

Feel like a noob now, but the problem is fixed. Thanks $aber and everyone else :D!

Btw Saber, Steam name?

Feel like a noob now, but the problem is fixed.

Could you share how exactly you solved your problem?

Admin Plz delete this post, i will move to right category.

Edited by morphixgb
move to right category

Could you share how exactly you solved your problem?

Updated the main page.

Updated the main page.

So your BEService.exe was still running I suppose?

So your BEService.exe was still running I suppose?

yep lol