Sign in to follow this  
yxman

lack of coop missions

now this game is nearly 1 year old, and there are still no good coop missions like back in a2 days...

i miss stuff like:

- mso

- tfor / patrol ops (patrol ops3 is no successor, bloated, sterile (no civs etc), vas, and other useless stuff like the squad mod)

- escape from chernarus (the a3 clone is just a cheap clone, full of bugs, bad scripting)

- hohei evolution

- domination

- insurgency!

if tried so many missions (from armaholic/workshop) and my personal conclusion is workshop missions are all just crap, else uber bad scripting > low fps or just crappy mission layout or non dynamic.

only coop stuff that is still running in mp browser is invade&annex, and its just boring, not comparable to domination.

i wonder what the few last real arma players (not the altis'lobotomy'life/wastetimeland/brokenpoint faction) plays.

o7

p.s if wrong forum please move

Edited by yxman

did you try DAC yet? or Blitzkrieg vs AI?

Well if you want good coop missions, start by insulting thousands of players and hundreds of mission makers, and then talk about "real" arma players -- oh, you already did that.

There are some nice gems on the workshop for coop missions. They don't always have to be super dynamic, Arma gameplay is dynamic in itself. I started playing Arma in OpFlash days, can I be in your cool kids group?

@.kju [PvPscene] ill give it a try

@vegeta897: its my personal opinion, and the the server browser reflects it, but if you found some gems, please link it.

Edited by yxman

i miss stuff like:

- mso

haven't you heard of alive? haven't played it myself but from what i understand it's the direct successor of MSO. what i personally miss most is insurgency exactly like it was in arma 2. the mix of coop and PvP was genius. that was what actually kept me playing arma 2 MP.

i've tried alive but its no mission its a complete mod and found no good mission for it. and yes insurgency, i loved it <3

at this moment, this game is:

1. check armaholic & dl mission/ul to server (workshop mission dl&ul to dedicated is pain in the ass)

2. try it, compare it to arma 2 missions

3. quit arma3 start arma2

sad :(

Edited by yxman

Not sure what player count you're looking for, but I assume small ones are okay since you mentioned Escape Chernarus. By the way, when was the last time you played Escape Altis? It's been updated several times somewhat recently (nice thing about the workshop is you don't have to keep tabs on that yourself -- edit: I see, dedicated sounds like a pain)

I'm sorry but I can't recall just by name looking through my subscriptions what ones were good, but most of them are worth trying. It's easier to browse through and download than other mission sites I've used.

There is one in particular I do remember enjoying recently: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=267207241 - Assault the new ghost hotel area with a small squad and AH-9 as CAS, has revive

Invade and Annex and Insurgency Ive seen servers for both and they are COOP..just gotta find the right server for tactical team play is the key.

Or join a group and play their missions that they make or create with MCC as random and COOP.

I know people like to jump to the defense of mission makers out of some exaggerated sense of loyalty or reverence or something, but the guy has a point about the workshop. The vast majority of missions on the workshop are garbage. It's just the nature of a system where somebody can instantly publish their work, even if it's just some guys put down on the map with a few markers. It's not uncommon for a workshop mission to lack tasks and a briefing. Very few missions are what you'd call a polished piece of work. 90% of the missions I play don't even have titles displayed properly (%20operation%20kill%20the%20general%20 -- it's always 'operation' something), and on the loading screen it's always "Unknown Game Mode, Unknown Mission, Unknown Community Author".

Sure, there are alot that are okay and a rare few that are good. But most aren't. Let's not pretend.

I know people like to jump to the defense of mission makers out of some exaggerated sense of loyalty or reverence or something, but the guy has a point about the workshop. The vast majority of missions on the workshop are garbage. It's just the nature of a system where somebody can instantly publish their work, even if it's just some guys put down on the map with a few markers. It's not uncommon for a workshop mission to lack tasks and a briefing. Very few missions are what you'd call a polished piece of work. 90% of the missions I play don't even have titles displayed properly (%20operation%20kill%20the%20general%20 -- it's always 'operation' something), and on the loading screen it's always "Unknown Game Mode, Unknown Mission, Unknown Community Author".

Sure, there are alot that are okay and a rare few that are good. But most aren't. Let's not pretend.

I completely agree with everything. However, we must also acknowledge the fact that in the bottom line, among all the crap in the workshop, we get more good stuff than we did in the Arma 2 days, after one year of activity (about the current stage of Arma 3 now).

Numbers: In the CiA Arma 2 server we host, after 5 years of activity, 1591 missions (and as you know we always tried to host all reasonable missions released in the Arma community). In Arma 3, after a period of a year or so, we already have 701 missions! And I can tell you that most of them are in a reasonable standard. It's true that it's hard to find these missions with all the crap in the workshop, but all in all, you'll find more good stuff than you did in Arma 2, but you'll to look much harder...

Note: all the above refers only to classic coop missions. No game modes, and no missions that were designed with respawn in mind.

Edited by Variable

You are so right we made the best missions for ourselves and our highest piroity is server performance and imerrsion but never release them, because we need to much mods to get back a2 in a3. We hate the futuristic setting in a3 and so we use mods to get back to our standard and no public player want to load 7gb of mods (A3MP and so on) ;).

When you want yxman PM. me mayby i have something for you ;) especially for your insurgency fetish ;)!!

Speedy

Most of the really good play is on servers that make their own missions for their style of play for their community. These are usually pass worded or semi public servers with admins and rules, you just need to know where to go. I have played at the same community for five years where missions are well tested before play on the servers and we are blessed with a talented group of mission makers. Find a good community where there are like minded players and you will find Arma is still going as strong as ever.

The problem is that with Arma 3, there is a lack of a general, unifying mod. I speak, of course, of the ACE mod. Now, I know some people despise us ACE fanboys, but the fact of the matter is, it was one of the best things to happen to Arma 2 multiplayer. It brought realism and teamwork together, and made mods such as Insurgency great. If you play Insurgency in Arma 3, straight away you will notice a lack of tension, a lack of that atmosphere. People can go around toting Zafirs and 10 boxes of ammo easily, and firefights are incredibly boring - vehicles blow up after hitting a wall, meaning urban ambushes get you kill straight away half the time, you either a) get shot, but then insta-heal yourself so you're fine in no time, or b) get killed, and then have to be taken back in. You simply can't have the same experience in Arma 3 - you can't have a small convoy of Humvees, ambushed and surrounded, be held by a few men as the medic rushes around, trying to stop the bleeding of all the incapacitated teammates.

Just my two cents. If we want to get serious, intense and fun co-op back in, we need another ACE mod.

People can go around toting Zafirs and 10 boxes of ammo easily

Well, not after the bootcamp update :)

I think patrol ops is one of the more polished coop missions out there. I've added ALiVE combat support into it, Zeus and MCC into it to spice things up on my public server. I would hardly call squadmod useless, being able to assign groups, roles and licenses minimizes people crowding around the VAS (as it restricts their available loadouts) or smashing up vehicles and heli's. It really is a great mission if you have a few mates who just want to get some quick action.

Add Zeus to your MP mission and there is no excuse for it being boring.

The operative question then is, which mission should you add it to? IMO, that mission is one which makes a good and fun 'waiting room'.

;2719449']did you try DAC yet? or Blitzkrieg vs AI?

you've made COOP versions of Blitzkrieg? :butbut: will chekc them out right away!

if DAC is anything like it was in A2 it won't have ready missions with it' date=' still have to wait for somebody to make those :(

what i personally miss most is insurgency exactly like it was in arma 2. the mix of coop and PvP was genius. that was what actually kept me playing arma 2 MP.

amen, brother!

Invade and Annex and Insurgency Ive seen servers for both and they are COOP..just gotta find the right server for tactical team play is the key.

it's Insurgency in name only. a lot of these missions simply repeat fireball's/Pogoman's mechanics, and sometimes rather poorly. that Insurgency was great thanks to the combination of all its features. most Insurgency versions for A3 miss some or most of those features. I could go on for hours on what made Insurgency great (in my opinion it's even better than the original from Project Reality, and I've played a lot of both). its only shortcoming was its unbalanced PvP.

DAC always had a few demo missions if I am not mistaken.

Its fairly easy to adjust those or mix it with existing missions.

I don't get it: if there is such a issue with number (i won't talk about quality) of coop missions, why don't you (it is a generic YOU, nit directed towards the OP) make some? Are you missing the built in editor and/or noteped?

No one hates anyone, that is in your head

Just a note though, why do you expect someone else to do it for you? (the so called unified mod)?

I don't get it: if there is such a issue with number (i won't talk about quality) of coop missions, why don't you (it is a generic YOU, nit directed towards the OP) make some? Are you missing the built in editor and/or noteped?

No one hates anyone, that is in your head

Just a note though, why do you expect someone else to do it for you? (the so called unified mod)?

I have spoken to quite a few people on Arma 3 when playing King of the Hill (which is actually not that bad, a bit DM but it's alright.) and when I brought up ACE, they obviously just hated it. And why wouldn't they? I always complain of there not being a mod as good as ACE, or as unifying, and it would obviously get annoying.

I expect someone else to do it for me because I simply do not have the skills or knowledge necessary to get to a basic start. I tried modelling and coding once with HALO CE - and I failed, as I failed (or at least got Cs) in every Graphics or computer class that had something to do with animating/modelling. I simply cannot grasp it. I can make a mission, but not much more.

And I am not saying to the modders "Get off your arses and make me an ACE, god damn it". That would simply be rude, and show my quality as a person. No, I am simply explaining the cause of the lack of serious, intense and awesome Co-op experiences/missions/servers out there where you are a public player and not a member of Shacktac or the 15th. True, there are a few great ones for public players. but nowhere near the scale of Arma 2.

The problem with Arma 3 is - there are too many mods that do the same thing, and thus, everyone has their own preference. I'm not saying don't make more mods, I'm just saying that this causes a problem. Say for example, you want to join a milsim server. In ACE, you used to just be able to join instantly, most of the time. Now, everyone has their own mod, and this causes low playercounts and large amounts of servers. The most players I've ever seen on a modded server in Arma 3, excusing Altis Life mods, is 23. 23. That is tiny compared to ACE. In ACE, we could get up to 60 people playing on a time, with that modification.

Face it, for modded public multiplayer to ever truly take off, we need something that everyone accepts.

If you think A2 coop was some kind of 'good ol days' that's funny. The game is really new compared to the original games, and its co-op was arguably the sloweest, worst, filled with the dumbest players I've ever seen, etc.. I think Arma3 improved it a lot, lots of better vanilla co-op and PvP, bringing in smarter gamers and players (at least somewhat) but it's still not perfect. If you think it lacks missions, grow up and make some yourself. It's extremely easy. It just comes down to players not knowing anything, being dumb, etc.. and being spoonfed everything they ever enjoyed. Also, it's bad to be playing and supporting the boring domination missions which emerged in Arma2's co-op, where you just dynamically have to 'take a town', fly there, kill everything, go to the next town, etc.. but there are actually a few good vanilla co-op servers I have played on that aren't really low quality, such as the normal Arma2's 7th-cav co-op servers, regular domination co-op, etc.. Zeus co-op is extremely fun whnever I catch a server playing it, because someone is essentially like the enemy's commander, and he can dynamically make the mission harder for you, but it's not really 'mainstream' i.e. packed with players in all servers. IT all comes down to preference. That's an interesting statistic as well, I wasn't so sure that so much time was spent on RPG servers in arma, although I find it funny to mess around/troll on those servers, it's odd when you meet someone who actually spends hours on there simulating driving a truck or something.. it still seems to be rather popular though.

I have spoken to quite a few people on Arma 3 when playing King of the Hill (which is actually not that bad, a bit DM but it's alright.) and when I brought up ACE, they obviously just hated it. And why wouldn't they? I always complain of there not being a mod as good as ACE, or as unifying, and it would obviously get annoying.

well, each with its own i guess. ACE took it a bit too far in the realism world (been part of ACE through A1 and but of A2 dev) for the PvP/TvT to be enjoyable.

And I am not saying to the modders "Get off your arses and make me an ACE, god damn it". That would simply be rude, and show my quality as a person. No, I am simply explaining the cause of the lack of serious, intense and awesome Co-op experiences/missions/servers out there where you are a public player and not a member of Shacktac or the 15th. True, there are a few great ones for public players. but nowhere near the scale of Arma 2.

I hardly play this game anymore, but when i do, it surely isn't on a public server.

The problem with Arma 3 is - there are too many mods that do the same thing, and thus, everyone has their own preference. I'm not saying don't make more mods, I'm just saying that this causes a problem. Say for example, you want to join a milsim server. In ACE, you used to just be able to join instantly, most of the time. Now, everyone has their own mod, and this causes low playercounts and large amounts of servers. The most players I've ever seen on a modded server in Arma 3, excusing Altis Life mods, is 23. 23. That is tiny compared to ACE. In ACE, we could get up to 60 people playing on a time, with that modification.

Face it, for modded public multiplayer to ever truly take off, we need something that everyone accepts.

False. BIS needs to get of their ass and create a way to synk addons with servers automaticly. I am aware of SIX, but some aren't, and they need a way to be spoon fed the addons without clicking anything else but "YES" when asked if they want their addons to be synked to server then auto-activated and server joined. It has nothing to do with one addon or another.

Well, everyone has a different taste.

We like to play small Coop missions most of you would not touch because:

1. We like Respawn because we like playing together and dont like to restart a mission just because some lucky AI shot !

2. We only play scenarios with reduced AI accuracy (via script) because playing against the Aimbot AI is awful !

3. We like to have all weapons and gear available and pick what we want !

I created some missions for me and my friends and released them but got no feedback so i guess most dont like the style (respawn ect.) ;)

BIS needs to get of their ass and create a way to synk addons with servers automaticly. I am aware of SIX, but some aren't, and they need a way to be spoon fed the addons without clicking anything else but "YES" when asked if they want their addons to be synked to server then auto-activated and server joined.

^this, so much. I won't speak my mind, because that would justify banning me, but BIS really have to get their shit together. the fact that every server has its own list of addons, that you don't know about unless the admin puts it up somewhere, and have to manually try to connect to deduce what to download/enable, alone is slowly killing Arma multiplayer year by year. people are reduced to playing on vanilla servers (and I'd rather play Takedown: Red Sabre than vanilla Arma), or on the same server.

in fact, some server admins use this to filter out less experienced players simply by signing the server, enforcing certain addons (like ACRE, vehicle addons etc.), and while it's their server, they're paying for it and therefore are free to do with it as they please, it puts off new players that want to experience something new but can't; because the whole of Arma multiplayer rests on the shoulders of admins who rent servers.

come to think of it, BIS is the laziest company ever when it comes to developing for multiplayer.

If you think A2 coop was some kind of 'good ol days' that's funny. The game is really new compared to the original games, and its co-op was arguably the sloweest, worst, filled with the dumbest players I've ever seen, etc.. I think Arma3 improved it a lot, lots of better vanilla co-op and PvP, bringing in smarter gamers and players (at least somewhat) but it's still not perfect.

you're talking about all the Wasteland servers, I assume. yeah, tried that once, it was miserable. smarter players my ass. you're probably talking about your experience with Arma Free public servers.