kamikaz333

Plank - A simple, but powerful fortification deployment script

Plank is a simple but extremely useful open-source fortification script. It can be use in a broad spectrum, base building, FOB building or on-the-fly-defenses. It was designed in the mindset of simplicity with regards to both mission implementation and player use.

A demonstration of how it works and looks ingame:

Script works for both Arma 3 and Arma 2, (showcase mission works only for Arma 3) no alteration is needed in order for it to work in either of the games. Fully tested in MP without issues. This project is fully open-source (MIT license) so please feel free to contribute or fork as you require, but you must include the license file in your version.

Download and README on GitHub

Huge thanks to ARK for suggestions and testing.

• Like 1

A suggestion, if I may make one, would be to arrange the objects into a GUI for creation instead of on the action wheel, as it leaves the action wheel somewhat overpopulated.

Nice work, though!

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Looks interesting. Are you able to build a Base or other defensive positions then save them in the editor. Basically I'm asking can this function as a 3D editor?

Your Sample Base can almost be released on its own as a template, very cool.

Woah, that's a pretty awesome script. Exactly what i needed for my new mission.

Well, since you permit modifications, i took the liberty to optimize the actions (i. e. divide them into categories), locate all the action strings in init.sqf for easier localization (would've also done this with dialog strings, but this requires stringtable) and also adding functionality to copy placed objects to clipboard (looks like that's what the user above asked for), delete placed objects and propagate the array over network for multiplayer coop building (idk what could be the use, maybe some guys would want to copy the base built on their respective missions...).

The download link is here, as well as the example mission for ArmA-2:

https://yadi.sk/d/GxzuV55BVsM3G

Edited by Levrex

Well, since you permit modifications, i took the liberty to optimize the actions (i. e. divide them into categories), locate all the action strings in init.sqf for easier localization (would've also done this with dialog strings, but this requires stringtable) and also adding functionality to copy placed objects to clipboard (looks like that's what the user above asked for), delete placed objects and propagate the array over network for multiplayer coop building (idk what could be the use, maybe some guys would want to copy the base built on their respective missions...).

Sorry for the late response. I really appreciate you took the time and modified Plank, but I'm not planning to add new features in the near future. Since it's open source, you are more, than welcomed to fork it and release it with your changes.

Thanks for the awesome script! I was looking for something like this for awhile now!

Just one question. Is there a way to set a timer for deploying the defenses? I am trying to make an adversarial and I don't want people to plop down defenses as soon as the enemy begins engaging them.

Again, thanks for the script and any help!

Looks great, Kamikaz333!

Levrex, does your modification work for A3 as well. Sorry, I'm tired. Too tired to try it out myself ;-)

Thanks!

Cool, just what I was looking for. Making a mission where players have to secure Fallujah, and part of that process involves building FOBs in the midst of the city.

I'll post the mission here when it's done and credit you of course :)

This is really cool and works great for what I want. Is it possible to to modify it so that instead of always having all the options to build everything until you run out of objects, the player can set down a Sandbags_Workbench or HBarrier_Toolkit or something similar, then get the action menu for that category from that, and have the bench disappear after the fortification has been built?

How do you get the base parts for building? can it be tied to R3F logistics or buying base parts etc?

Is there a working version of Plank? Because this version doesnt work in arma 3 anymore.

On 17/04/2016 at 9:42 PM, dfrankes said:

Because this version doesnt work in arma 3 anymore.

Are you sure? Try the sample mission as part of the zip. I was able to use it no problem on Stratis as of March 2017.

8 minutes ago, beno_83au said:

Right there in the OP.

1. Copy `\plank` directory into the mission directory
2. Put line `#include "plank\plank.h"` in `description.ext`
3. Put line `call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "plank\plank_init.sqf";` in `init.sqf`
4. To add fortifications to a unit use `[_unit, [<number of 1. fort>, <number of 2. fort>, ..., <number of n. fort>]] call plank_api_fnc_forceAddFortifications`. For example: `[player, [2, 1, 2, 2, 0, 2, 0, 0]] call plank_api_fnc_forceAddFortifications;`

i understand this first part lol 

I can't seem to get this to work in multiplayer when playing from the editor :( Works in SP though.