Sign in to follow this  
spandrel

Dual Boxing for Improved Singleplayer Performance

I had poor performance in singleplayer. It wasn't my graphics card, it was my box-- 4 gigs RAM on an Intel cpu from 2007.

Apologies if this is old news but I fixed it by putting up a dedicated server on another machine. The other machine is a Mac Mini running linux in a virtual machine (Virtualbox).

I have to treat it as a multiplayer server but now my performance is more than adequate. Looks like my primary PC just had trouble running Arma3 and all the AI for Arma3 at once, so now with the AI offloaded it runs quite nicely.

I'd recommend this for anybody with an older PC and a second box lying around. The fact that the server runs well in a virtual machine indicates that just about any PC running linux should work quite well as a personal AI server box.

I had poor performance in singleplayer. It wasn't my graphics card, it was my box-- 4 gigs RAM on an Intel cpu from 2007.

Apologies if this is old news but I fixed it by putting up a dedicated server on another machine. The other machine is a Mac Mini running linux in a virtual machine (Virtualbox).

I have to treat it as a multiplayer server but now my performance is more than adequate. Looks like my primary PC just had trouble running Arma3 and all the AI for Arma3 at once, so now with the AI offloaded it runs quite nicely.

I'd recommend this for anybody with an older PC and a second box lying around. The fact that the server runs well in a virtual machine indicates that just about any PC running linux should work quite well as a personal AI server box.

Also recommended for anyone with a good quad core to run a dedicated server and client on the same box. Export your missions as multiplayer and play them as single player, the AI will now be offloaded to the server and you'll get better, more stable FPS on your client.

Also recommended for anyone with a good quad core to run a dedicated server and client on the same box.

I've been doing this since A2 on my 6 year old quadcore (Q9400 overclocked) and the performance difference is amazing (especially with 400+ AI), I'd recommend it to any quad owner.