Sign in to follow this  
spanishsurfer

BIS' New Game Launcher

;2723817']Can a forum mod please move the posts about the legal discussion to the steam workshop thread in this forum. Thanks

Moved to separate thread, good call, thanks a lot :icon_twisted:

/// Edit: Added link

Edited by pettka

Moved to separate thread, good call, thanks a lot :icon_twisted:

If I may ask, what thread were they moved to? I don't see them in the "ARMA III & Steam WORKSHOP", which .kju linked to.

i cant seem to get the launcher o recognise mods i have already downloaded. this seriously limits is usefulness for me. Am i missing something? Does it have profiles for launching certain groups of mods?

Just a suggestion, i don't know if it's even possible, i haven't even touched the new launcher yet. Ok, currently when you join a server, its fine. If you join a server with mods you don't have, it kicks you with a line of errors. My suggestion is, why not have it, where if you attempt to join a server with mods, it not only kicks you, but it pops up a button, saying "Would you like like to get these mods with the Launcher?" That would be neat. So then it takes you to where you need to get those mods, you get them, and re join. That's if the launcher doesn't already like.. do it for you. as i said, i haven't tested it yet.

//Crash rpt and dump:

[

Arma 3 Launcher crash when you attempt to delete/unsubscribe a mod that has been downloaded successfully.

] call https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lcb0r9k5m...RjgLvS3TaQkbta;

EDIT:

Arma 3 launcher displays wrong profile name for recognizability eg. new players: http://i.imgur.com/q9pbC6X.png

EDIT2:

Starting non-island mod with show ocean world-scene in main menu and display wrong profile name eg. %var etc.

:D

Edited by James2464

Whilst I'm glad to see some activity on this, it's so far from what I've been hoping for that it doesn't make me hopeful at the moment that we're likely to see what myself and others have been asking for, for a long time:

https://dev.withsix.com/issues/35469

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?120878-Automatic-Mod-Downloading&p=2244269&viewfull=1#post2244269

I appreciate the comments about this being an early version to test the water but still, if you intend to do something completely different in future, why now use SW if it only allows up to 200MB mods when many mods are much larger, why put the mods in a different place to where they normally go (using PwS, I assign a separate folder S:\Games\Arma3mods to keep them separate from the game folder S:\Games\Arma3, which makes it easier to update/fix the latter but even without PwS, mods normally look like S:\Games\Arma3\@AGM , which I understand this launcher doesn't stick to as it says it only handles single .pbos, not folders)? I certainly don't want a third copy of every mod in addition to the two that PwS already gives me and this alone is enough to make me avoid using the launcher.

The main reason I hear for people not liking PwS is because it requires almost twice as much space to keep a backup/sync copy of each mod, which is a pain but with most mods on the Six Network, I was hoping BIS could have come to some arrangment to use that repository with their own software. I personally don't have any objection to SW but if half the mods aren't going to be on there it's not going to be very useful.

I'm actually quite happy with using PwS for servers, as it makes it very easy to get the required mods to join a server. I see the need to automate downloading/enabling mods for offline/SP missions as far more pressing, if BIS really wants to encourage mission makers to use mods and players to play those missions.

Power users have access to several brilliant community launchers that support many advanced features. Our launcher is a separate application and will not get in the way of their efforts

No - we don't want to use a community launcher; it's a real pain trying to teach people how to use PwS. The complicated mod setup is really fracturing the community and whilst PwS is pretty nifty, it's external to the game. We just want a simple in-game way for people to load the correct required/optional mods for a server - that's it, end of story.

"Would you like like to get these mods with the Launcher?"

Thanks for the suggestion. That's indeed the general direction we want to go. As written, this seems quite easy, but developing it to a state where it functions reliably while being an integral part of the experience goes a long way. We've only just made the first step. Stay tuned :)

Thanks for the suggestion. That's indeed the general direction we want to go. As written, this seems quite easy, but developing it to a state where it functions reliably while being an integral part of the experience goes a long way. We've only just made the first step. Stay tuned :)

Glad to hear this, keep up the good work BI! :yay:

When i start the Launcher via steam, it runs minimized but then nothing happens. there is no window. i tried with dev and nondev branch. is there a solution for this problem?

When i start the Launcher via steam, it runs minimized but then nothing happens. there is no window. i tried with dev and nondev branch. is there a solution for this problem?

It seemed to be like that for me too, but after few tens of seconds it eventually poped up on my screen.

It seemed to be like that for me too, but after few tens of seconds it eventually poped up on my screen.

nothing happens. even after 30 minutes of nothing. in the task manager arma3 launcher is running with 00 CPU usage.

no mods running.

Edited by funkotron

nothing happens. even after 30 minutes of nothing. in the task manager arma3 launcher is running with 00 CPU usage.

no mods running.

same problem here !

I was wondering what the community, and especially the modders thinkg of the new A3 launcher and the steam workshop integration.

Personally, I'm not convinced about the whole addons on steam workshop thing. The new launcher looks pretty nice though. Nice interface, and pretty much all the features you could desire of a launcher.

I've been looking for, what for me would be the perfect Arma 3 launcher/mod updater. I've used several in the past but little have fulfilled all my needs. PlayWithSIX is nice, it used to have a really cluttered and confusing interface, and altough I personally think its still far from perfect, atleast now its usable. But not nearly all mods available for Arma 3, are connected to the PlayWithSIX network, forcing me to still update a whole bunch of them manually. Arma 3 Sync is really nice, really simple and if you play with a clan who has a repository, will even update your mods automatically. But it doesn't have an interconnected network of content creators like PlayWithSIX, so it to still requirese manual updating to a large extend.

Now ofcourse a lot of this could be solved. if everyone decided to start using the new launcher and steam workshop. But from what I hear a lot of the content creators and especially those who have been around for a while are pretty opposed towards the steam workshop. I'm not a modder myself so I don't really know what the problem is. But from what I've heard most people don't like the fact that Valve owns all content posted on the steam workshop, although I cannot confirm wether that is actually true, and if so to which extend. But there is new content released on the steam workshop daily for thousands of games, so I can't imagine it being that bad. Really, what is the problem with steam workshop? And I'm not saying I'm a big fan, I'm just curious if it would be possible to find some common ground.

Call me lazy but I'd love to just be able to update, activate, deactivate my own mods, mods I need enabled for a certain server, mods dedicated to clans and groups, with the click of a button. No fiddeling around with seperate server browsers, no editing of parameters or command lines. I want all my .pbo's, my keys and my userconfigs to be placed in the correct folders, and I want the out of there as soon as I choose to remove a mod. I want all that stuff to be done for me because I'm no compitent enough to do it all by myself without screwing something up.

Well, I just tried the new launcher.

And I'm going back to Arma3Sync.

Steam launcher = detects Steam Workshop mods only.

+The background is annoying.

Screw that.

So what does everyone think of the launcher now that it's out?

My opinion hasn't changed from my previous post. In it's current form, it doesn't seem very useful to me and it won't be unless BIS can either get all the mods on SW, no matter the size, or they move to a different network, like Six. Unlike PwS, it doesn't let me specify a mods directory meaning the mods get downloaded to the A3 directory, so I won't use it for that and even if it did allow me to specify a directory, I probably still wouldn't use it as it doesn't allow me to select a specific version of a mod, unlike PwS, which can be useful if the latest version breaks something and I need to rollback, or to specify a version to prevent it updating until I'm sure it's safe to.

Basically, it doesn't seem to do anything that PwS doesn't already and what it does do, PwS does better. It does look more polished though, I'll give you that. What PwS doesn't do is allow me to select a SP mission and automatically enable the mods needed for that (well I think it does for the very few missions that are on Six) but BIS needs to specify a standard method for mission creators to list what mods are needed (which could be as simple as a text file accompanying the mission file) and then make their launcher read that. The launcher needs to list the missions that the user has subscribed to first though, so that the player can select one and then it can launch with the required mods. Even then it will be quite awkward, as we'll need to completely exit the game and go back to the launcher to select a different mission, so hopefully at some point this will be possible from within the normal GUI. Even if it has to shutdown and restart the engine in the background, it will still be a lot more user-friendly.

My opinion hasn't changed from my previous post. In it's current form, it doesn't seem very useful to me and it won't be unless BIS can either get all the mods on SW, no matter the size, or they move to a different network, like Six. Unlike PwS, it doesn't let me specify a mods directory meaning the mods get downloaded to the A3 directory, so I won't use it for that and even if it did allow me to specify a directory, I probably still wouldn't use it as it doesn't allow me to select a specific version of a mod, unlike PwS, which can be useful if the latest version breaks something and I need to rollback, or to specify a version to prevent it updating until I'm sure it's safe to.

Basically, it doesn't seem to do anything that PwS doesn't already and what it does do, PwS does better. It does look more polished though, I'll give you that. What PwS doesn't do is allow me to select a SP mission and automatically enable the mods needed for that (well I think it does for the very few missions that are on Six) but BIS needs to specify a standard method for mission creators to list what mods are needed (which could be as simple as a text file accompanying the mission file) and then make their launcher read that. The launcher needs to list the missions that the user has subscribed to first though, so that the player can select one and then it can launch with the required mods. Even then it will be quite awkward, as we'll need to completely exit the game and go back to the launcher to select a different mission, so hopefully at some point this will be possible from within the normal GUI. Even if it has to shutdown and restart the engine in the background, it will still be a lot more user-friendly.

All good points, the BIS Launcher is prettier than PwS but not as functional. The ability to auto-download mods required of a server/mission is what the next logical step needs to be. To add to your points, there needs to be a basic/advanced toggle button that allows users to go into the kind of detail PwS provides and an easier version that keeps it simple for users who aren't familiar with mods.

OK im seeing alot of posts about the launcher running but running minimized and not being able to use it.. And NO ONE IS ADDRESSING THIS ISSUE... I have the same issue and im searching for answers to solve the problem and it would seem there is No answer... WTF BIS...

I had another thread like this opened but per Spanish I think its a good idea to keep this centralized.

So with this new workshop thing it seems the addons go into the main arma install folder as opposed to the "my documents" location that playwithsix defaults addons into (i think right?).

Are you able to change this in steam?

Should I just move all my addons from mydocuments into the arma install folder?

Where do most people keep all their addons when using mod programs like pws or armasync????

Now with this new workshop addon thing what is the best way to setup?

Thanks

Seems like this whole mod issue in general is obviously very daunting and currently in a state of uncertainty. Unless there is something I am unaware of I think the mod workshop/arma launcher is currently just adding another way to confuse users by adding yet another way to manage mods along with pws and armasync.

So far my personal experience is none of these works properly when you have a heavily modded server that your trying to join and the main reason for this is lack of a community consensus or conformity that most can agree on.

Bis is making a great step in the right direction with this but currently I for one can't get it to work at all at least for the servers I want to join.