Sign in to follow this  
defk0n_NL

crosshair, third person and zoom needs to be rookie difficulty

Although I agree that a higher FOV [...] just looks ODD!

That it does indeed. To remove the "oddness" it would be necessary to change the perspective the closer you get to the screen edge. 'cuz they're called eye-balls and not eye-cubes.

Oh no,

another "crosshair off is realistic" thread...

No it is not, if you ask me. It was discussed many times.

This thread is a product of ignorance about how things work and how there is a need to compensate for them in virtual environments (Crosshair, zoom, 3rd person view).

Study the human body a little, please, before you create another of such threads.

yeah, i had the same feeling but in the end, if the topic is only dedicated to what should be by default and what should be an option in the difficulty settings, i'm ok with it.

I understand where the op is coming from.

Its a shame a lot of the new kids coming to play Arma3 never get passed WastelandLifeRoyal.pbo in regular mode.

They miss so much of how a sim of which Arma3 is based off can be played and once they have seen they can use 3rd, crosshair, shift click, map info markers and the likes they do not see why they should play without them.

I don't know what the answer is apart from maybe BIS stopping holding the hands of the new players and removing the aids for beginner difficulty settings altogether.

but then would that mean I am not an elitist anymore ?.. leave it as it is then I like being an elitist wanker ! :)

There are valid arguments for why 3 of the 4 things you're complaining about are realistic.

This thread is a product of ignorance about how things work and how there is a need to compensate for them in virtual environments (Crosshair, zoom, 3rd person view).

Study the human body a little, please, before you create another of such threads.

So i guess RedOrchestra2, Insurgency, Project Reality players are ignorant people who dont know how to compensate for their lack of aim with a crosshair/zoom/3rdperson?

:ok:

It should stay a option for nubs but not the default setting.

Lack of difficulty makes this game stale and predictable.

The terrain is huge but the majority of my pvp firefights last under 3 minutes. (with rare exceptions)

Which is probably why life servers are so popular. They increase difficulty by random firefights(skill) and making money(delayed gratification), as thus the reward(goal: more firefights) feels better.

DayZ, rinse repeat.

its like a fkng cocaine addiction coming to think about it.

Arma 3 needs more cocaine

Edited by defk0n_NL

The terrain is huge but the majority of my pvp firefights last under 3 minutes. (with rare exceptions)

This has nothing to do with crosshairs or zoom levels. It's because players aren't as afraid of getting shot as people are in the real world, have a more stable shooting platform than they would in reality, and don't utilize fire and maneuver tactics.

The way firefights happen in the real world is that one element initiates suppressive fires while another element closes with and kills the enemey. The way firefights happen in Arma is that everyone lays down, scopes in with their magnified optics, and waits for people to poke their heads out. If you want to change that, you should be arguing for the removal of magnified optics from the game. Look at how Shacktac's firefights play out as an example of the kind of things that happen in Arma without magnified optics but with zoom and crosshairs.

This has nothing to do with crosshairs or zoom levels. It's because players aren't as afraid of getting shot as people are in the real world, have a more stable shooting platform than they would in reality, and don't utilize fire and maneuver tactics.

The way firefights happen in the real world is that one element initiates suppressive fires while another element closes with and kills the enemey. The way firefights happen in Arma is that everyone lays down, scopes in with their magnified optics, and waits for people to poke their heads out. If you want to change that, you should be arguing for the removal of magnified optics from the game. Look at how Shacktac's firefights play out as an example of the kind of things that happen in Arma without magnified optics but with zoom and crosshairs.

People are not afraid of getting shot because its easy to shoot people.

im not saying short firefights are a direct result of zoom and crosshair but it does have influence. As in zooming in to spot a enemy and crosshair being able to effectively strafe and lay down pretty precision fire without looking through a scope.

I am not arguing for the permanent removal of anything this thread is about moving crosshair,zoom and thirdperson to the lowest difficulty because thats exactly what it is. a low difficulty.

zoom should block your peripheral view in such a way where cant just scan the whole battlefield. as do optics and binocs work except for right click zoom.

Also stop pulling sentences out of context. i was clearly referring to the overall difficulty. Which is a combination of game mechanics not exclusively related.

Edited by defk0n_NL

im not saying short firefights are a direct result of zoom and crosshair but it does have influence. As in zooming in to spot a enemy and crosshair being able to effectively strafe and lay down pretty precision fire without looking through a scope.

I am not arguing for the permanent removal of anything this thread is about moving crosshair,zoom and thirdperson to the lowest difficulty because thats exactly what it is. a low difficulty.

zoom should block your peripheral view in such a way where cant just scan the whole battlefield. as do optics and binocs work except for right click zoom.

Also stop pulling sentences out of context. i was clearly referring to the overall difficulty. Which is a combination of game mechanics not exclusively related.

Talking about difficulty levels is more productive than arguing about realism, as playing on veteran with all game helpers ousted and AI aimbots is artificially difficult.

Talking about difficulty levels is more productive than arguing about realism, as playing on veteran with all game helpers ousted and AI aimbots is artificially difficult.

I agree that AI can be at times overpowered. I think that is unpredictable in the bad sense as in you have almost no control over it. But modifying gameplay difficulty levels directly relates to skill also. Something you can control or atleast try to minimize its effect by practice, concentration.

So i guess RedOrchestra2, Insurgency, Project Reality players are ignorant people who dont know how to compensate for their lack of aim with a crosshair/zoom/3rdperson?

:ok:

It should stay a option for nubs but not the default setting.

Lack of difficulty makes this game stale and predictable.

Which is probably why life servers are so popular. They increase difficulty by random firefights(skill) and making money(delayed gratification), as thus the reward(goal: more firefights) feels better.

DayZ, rinse repeat.

its like a fkng cocaine addiction coming to think about it.

Arma 3 needs more cocaine

Well, you have obviously no idea how the things work. You are just another pseudo-realism elitist in the community. Nothing special here. A never ending fight with ignorance. Here is why:

This is a typical pseudo-realistic example. The crosshair is fundamental for compensating the absence of feeling your virtual arms and virtual muscles. If you turn off the crosshair, you still look in the super-precise, non-movable center of your screen and you are therefore able to aim without much of a trouble. Now try that in the real life. Surprise, you will be unable to look around you like that and you will miss a lot of targets, because you are not a mathematically precise robot that would be able to align his arms and eyes with a precision (I am talking about firing without looking through iron sights).

The next step is turning off your crosshair and enabling aiming deadzone so that your virtual hands can float freely. You will be unable to aim at all because you will have no point of reference at all. No crosshair, no muscles. Nothing. A completely unrealistic state of things.

Same for the zooming:

You have to compensate for the LOD switching and other technical compromises (playing in non-sufficient resolutions, inability of your eyes to perceive the natural depth and perspective between objects on the screen etc.). Surprise, you don't have to do that in real life. No LODs, no glitches, a true 3D vision and natural depth and perspective. If you have problems with eyes, you get glasses and you are set.

3rd person view:

Could be improved so that it is not so easy to exploit but in real life, you are able to do very precise movement and feel yourself in the environment so you see where your limbs are going in the context of the space you are in. In real life you are also able to lean from behind corners with a great precision so you are almost impossible to be seen. Not so in the game where you have only predefined stances without needed precision and fluidity. 3rd person view compensates for that.

So in the end, you just want absolutely unrealistic features in order to have a feeling of some kind of pseudo-authenticity and pseudo-realism.

You have to remember that this is a game in a virtual environment and you have to make compromises.

The games you have mentioned are not really a good argument either. Much more basic in many ways than Arma. Just normal, "hardcore" shooters but still super-unrealistic simulations.

Well, you have obviously no idea how the things work. You are just another pseudo-realism elitist in the community. Nothing special here. A never ending fight with ignorance.

Who's the psuedo realist here? You or me?

Because the way i see it am trying to clearly articulate reasons why i find that skill should trump crutches. as in compensating for the lack of realistic features by using the sensory inputs that you have. not the ones that you ought to have.

Isnt that why you play with a mouse to compensate for the fact that you cannot move your arms in 3d virtual space?

@bouben nar m8 your wrong.

Agreed the op puts his argument over all elitist but his basis is correct.

Arma3 caters to the noob with cross-hairs and 3rd person and such.

There is no need for 3rd in arma3. no argument you could offer could validate the need for 3rd person... been playing for too many years without it to actually agree its needed.

Maybe for fun and for recording in youtube but any competitive game play should and can only realistically be played in 1st person, the rest is just bullshit.

using a crosshair is unrealistic because there is no crosshair on your vision, that is the end of the argument.

any bs you come up with about body movement is irrelevant as the crosshair does not exist in your sight.

Improve awareness of gun position not add a crosshair.

Yours with love and kisses.

BL1P

I'll just leave the whole quote in here so you don't think I'm pulling sentences out of context or whatever.

I don't understand what you mean by, "People are not afraid of getting shot because it's easy to shoot people." That doesn't make any sense.

I'm not understanding how you are laying down precision fire while moving with or without a crosshair. Are you literally just talking about shooting at people withint 15 feet of you, or what?

Zoom blocks your peripheral vision to the same degree that utilizing an ACO does (not at all).

@bouben nar m8 your wrong.

Agreed the op puts his argument over all elitist but his basis is correct.

Arma3 caters to the noob with cross-hairs and 3rd person and such.

There is no need for 3rd in arma3. no argument you could offer could validate the need for 3rd person... been playing for too many years without it to actually agree its needed.

Maybe for fun and for recording in youtube but any competitive game play should and can only realistically be played in 1st person, the rest is just bullshit.

using a crosshair is unrealistic because there is no crosshair on your vision, that is the end of the argument.

any bs you come up with about body movement is irrelevant as the crosshair does not exist in your sight.

Yours with love and kisses.

BL1P

First of all, congrats on coming off as more elitest than the guy are are calling elitest.

Second, your argument that Arma caters to "the noob" with features like 3rd person and crosshairs is dumb and wrong. First of all, this isn't a competition based game. If it is, it's a really terrible one. It's a sandbox game and always has been. All of the most skill based shooters have crosshairs.

Third person is an option in Arma because Arma is about options. If you don't want to play with it, turn it off. I've already stated that I think it would be fine if they removed third person from Veteran difficulty.

Your arguments against crosshairs are overly simplistic and, if carried to their logical conclusion, have insane consequences. If you are seriously advocating for removing any feature that doesn't accurately reflect the way the human body works, prepare to get rid of using keyboards for walking and the mouse for aiming. You're going to have to get rid of the whole inventory UI, as well, since last time I checked I didn't have a GUI overlaid on my vision when I was trying to figure out what was in my pockets.

Games require concessions in order to be fun and playable and in order to reflect abilities that we don't or can't have in a video game. Any argument that says we shouldn't make any one concession on the sole basis that it's not exactly like in real life is shortsighted and stupid.

Edited by roshnak

I'll just leave the whole quote in here so you don't think I'm pulling sentences out of context or whatever.

I don't understand what you mean by, "People are not afraid of getting shot because it's easy to shoot people." That doesn't make any sense.

I'm not understanding how you are laying down precision fire while moving with or without a crosshair. Are you literally just talking about shooting at people withint 15 feet of you, or what?

Zoom blocks your peripheral vision to the same degree that utilizing an ACO does (not at all).

Oke this is my opinion so im not trying to state it as fact but:

Because of the general aids you have like crosshair, thirdperson, zoom my thought pattern would move towards this when im playing.

"I like to think i can shoot you pretty easy. Even so easy that im confident in my abilities that i can outshoot you so im gonna just risk it and start shooting you."

Which is my general thought pattern when im playing on a difficulty that is made easy for me. "I haven't had to do alot to be that good." (maybe not in those exact words, mind you)

On the other hand when its difficult for me to shoot you by the lack of crosshair etc i would say my thought pattern(project reality, orchestra2, etc) goes more towards this:

"Fuck man this guy is shooting me, alright calm down. Shoot in his direction, starting running to cover. Oke concentrate on your aim. He has it just as difficult as me. Lets fuck him up"

Which comes down to skill in my opinion. As i said its my opinion so you tell me if this is or isnt familiar to you.

I feel that because its made relatively easy by default the skill gap kinda narrows down alot, when its hard the skill gap increases. i dont know if your a good player or a bad player but i want to shoot you so i wont risk.

Edited by defk0n_NL

i have to agree with this post eventhough it's a bit loaded with attitude :D

people repeat the same old shit trying to find ways to rationalize crutch features they simply got used to. it's very very silly to say that arma is more realistic than insurgency, pr or ro and thus it needs those crutches. wtf? there's nothing that makes arma different from these games that makes the way 3rd person can and will be used as an exploit just disappear as a fact.

sometimes it's good to just take a step back and really evaluate the stuff you simply got used to over the years.

i myself always use 3rd person when it's available simply because it's insanely powerful. anyone who says it's there to compensate for sensing your own body in rl is either kidding themselves or secretly knows damn well how "valuable" it is in a firefight. it's simply an option of many in a not so well thought out difficulty system. same goes for crosshairs.

instead of getting all heated when someone criticizes the status quo you should instead just go and play arma in first person for a while. especially PvP. hell make it without crosshairs too. it's not a matter of taste. it simply makes it more challenging and interesting, which as i understood it was the OP's point. skill, challenge, better gameplay.

i remember these few PvP servers in alpha using proper competitive settings. something with wolve something clan. it made my hands shake and i actually had to use careful tactics instead of peaking over hills while being hidden and then attacking out of nowhere blasting without even using ironsights.

sadly the majority of people don't get that and thus get all butthurt and passionate even when people just suggest proper difficulty settings. so this will probably never change..

i have to agree with this post eventhough it's a bit loaded with attitude :D

people repeat the same old shit trying to find ways to rationalize crutch features they simply got used to. it's very very silly to say that arma is more realistic than insurgency, pr or ro and thus it needs those crutches. wtf? there's nothing that makes arma different from these games that makes the way 3rd person can and will be used as an exploit just disappear as a fact.

sometimes it's good to just take a step back and really evaluate the stuff you simply got used to over the years.

i myself always use 3rd person when it's available simply because it's insanely powerful. anyone who says it's there to compensate for sensing your own body in rl is either kidding themselves or secretly knows damn well how "valuable" it is in a firefight. it's simply an option of many in a not so well thought out difficulty system. same goes for crosshairs.

instead of getting all heated when someone criticizes the status quo you should instead just go and play arma in first person for a while. especially PvP. hell make it without crosshairs too. it's not a matter of taste. it simply makes it more challenging and interesting, which as i understood it was the OP's point. skill, challenge, better gameplay.

i remember these few PvP servers in alpha using proper competitive settings. something with wolve something clan. it made my hands shake and i actually had to use careful tactics instead of peaking over hills while being hidden and then attacking out of nowhere blasting without even using ironsights.

sadly the majority of people don't get that and thus get all butthurt and passionate even when people just suggest proper difficulty settings. so this will probably never change..

Yer your right m8 no point...

No skin of my nose I don't play on servers with that crap enabled anyway so good luck to them.

Hopefully ill still be playing in another 12 years :) (wow edit 13.5 years omg its been that long ?)

and they will have moved on to whatever new fad they have found.

Edited by BL1P

Oke this is my opinion so im not trying to state it as fact but:

Because of the general aids you have like crosshair, thirdperson, zoom my thought pattern would move towards this when im playing.

Which is my general thought pattern when im playing on a difficulty that is made easy for me. "I haven't had to do alot to be that good." (maybe not in those exact words, mind you)

On the other hand when its difficult for me to shoot you by the lack of crosshair etc i would say my thought pattern(project reality, orchestra2, etc) goes more towards this:

Which comes down to skill in my opinion. As i said its my opinion so you tell me if this is or isnt familiar to you.

I feel that because its made relatively easy by default the skill gap kinda narrows down alot, when its hard the skill gap increases. i dont know if your a good player or a bad player but i want to shoot you so i wont risk.

Yeah, that's clearly a personal thing for you, because those situations read the same to me. If you have a crosshair, sure, it might be easier for you to shoot him, but isn't it easier for him to shoot you, too? And if you don't have a crosshair, you've already acknowledged that you're on equal footing. Besides, crosshairs just aren't that useful beyond like 50 meters. They're really designed for area fire.

I think it might be better to just change the name of the difficulty dialogue to "Realism Level" or something, since the name can be misleading. And maybe force server admins to set a difficulty level on their dedicated servers.

3rd person is a crutch but there's nothing wrong with either zoom or the crosshair.

3rd person is a crutch but there's nothing wrong with either zoom or the crosshair.

I kinda agree the biggest crutch is 3rd person.

but I think zoom and crosshair are crutches also, just at a lesser degree.

i also think the hud mag count is a crutch, shift click way points, auto sent radio subtitle chat messages from a player, etc etc.

...instead of getting all heated when someone criticizes the status quo you should instead just go and play arma in first person for a while. especially PvP. hell make it without crosshairs too. it's not a matter of taste. it simply makes it more challenging and interesting, which as i understood it was the OP's point. skill, challenge, better gameplay.

You know what else will make the gameplay more challenging? Trying to control your mouse with fingers on your leg.

You can even start your PVP server with such rules and observe players over an obligatory webcam that the players are really playing with their legs and therefore making the game more challenging.

I am sure we can come up with many more ways how to make the gameplay more challenging in a stupid way.

Americas Army 1.7 - 2.x was a challenging PVP game where skills were heavily involved (I was playing a league at that time and played against seriously good players - they had skills). Counter Strike is also a very challenging PVP game. Both games have crosshairs.

The completely unreal Unreal Tournament PVP gameplay is challenging as ****. Yet, they have crosshairs in the game.

So, please, finally admit that it is not only the challenge and skills you are after. You want to feel like playing something "realistic" and moan about it because other players does not share the opinion with you.

---------- Post added at 01:39 ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 ----------

I am sorry, but you obviously have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. But you can try to study human senses a bit. That might do the trick with you. I mean, you can't be serious about improving awareness of gun position in a virtual environment. I mean...I am not the smartest person in the world but that is a different level you have done there...

EDIT:

Go and fully enable aiming deadzone in the game and come back and share your experience with us. Crosshair disabled of course...

Edited by Bouben

You know what else will make the gameplay more challenging? Trying to control your mouse with fingers on your leg.

You can even start your PVP server with such rules and observe players over an obligatory webcam that the players are really playing with their legs and therefore making the game more challenging.

I am sure we can come up with many more ways how to make the gameplay more challenging in a stupid way.

or you could just say stupid shit like that...geez. don't cry about your crosshairs. no one will take them from you. play on any difficulty you like. you get it? you read the OP, right?

do you really think it's not super obvious how you now focus on crosshairs and stop mentioning 3rd person (and everything else for that matter) alltogether? stop with the childish bullshit please. what's your problem anyways? never been in disagreement with anyone? no need to revert to idiotic logic and overreacting about single points you now choose to be crucial or in the center of discussion. the topic is about way more than crosshairs. and you know it.

besides, all the games you mentioned have no 3rd person nor zoom by default. so what now? you gonna chew on the crosshairs now since there's nothing left for you to rage over with nonsensical bullshit posts that you think are very clever?

btw. playing in some league against skilled people doesn't make you skilled. neither does make being skilled your point of view more valid.

well have fun. i'm out of here..

or you could just say stupid shit like that...geez. don't cry about your crosshairs. no one will take them from you. play on any difficulty you like. you get it? you read the OP, right?

do you really think it's not super obvious how you now focus on crosshairs and stop mentioning 3rd person (and everything else for that matter) alltogether? stop with the childish bullshit please. what's your problem anyways? never been in disagreement with anyone? no need to revert to idiotic logic and overreacting about single points you now choose to be crucial or in the center of discussion. the topic is about way more than crosshairs. and you know it.

besides, all the games you mentioned have no 3rd person nor zoom by default. so what now? you gonna chew on the crosshairs now since there's nothing left for you to rage over with nonsensical bullshit posts that you think are very clever?

btw. playing in some league against skilled people doesn't make you skilled. neither does make being skilled your point of view more valid.

well have fun. i'm out of here..

1) I already said my points to crosshairs, zoom and 3rd person view and my opinions have not changed since I wrote the long post. Do I need to rewrite it for you specifically or you do you think you can manage to go back one page and read it?

2) I have not said I was or am skilled. I just said it was very challenging even with the unrealistic visual helpers ;-) That said - the healthy challenge is not in the disabled crosshair, absence of zoom or 3rd view. Disabled crosshair, absence of zoom or 3rd view are just crippling features in desperate need of a challenge. You can as well play with fingers on your leg - if you are that desperate. No problem with that.

3) I also said that 3rd person view could be tweaked to make it less exploitable. That way I clearly admitted that 3rd person view is a controversial point.

EDIT:

4) I agree the crosshair could be a bit bigger with a bit more space in the middle (less precision). I used to use a mod for that in Arma 2.

Edited by Bouben

1) I already said my points to crosshairs, zoom and 3rd person view and my opinions have not changed since I wrote the long post. Do I need to rewrite it for you specifically or you do you think you can manage to go back one page and read it?

can you manage to not come across like a dick in a single post? what makes you think i didn't read the other stuff? i even wrote "hell even without crosshairs" in my suggestion. that should tell you that i don't see a problem in using it. you are the one not reading properly and reacting inappropriatly.

2) I have not said I was or am skilled. I just said it was very challenging even with the unrealistic visual helpers ;-) That said - the healthy challenge is not in the disabled crosshair, absence of zoom or 3rd view. Disabled crosshair, absence of zoom or 3rd view are just crippling features in desperate need of a challenge. You can as well play with fingers on your leg - if you are that desperate. No problem with that.

i see what you did there. it's as stupid as what you did before. infact it's the same moronic bullshit with added implication of desperation on my part. which is just a lame attempt of trying to project some made up emotions on peopel to make them look unreasonable. it doesn't do anything but make you look desperate to "win this". quite pathetic.

3) I also said that 3rd person view could be tweaked to make it less exploitable. That way I clearly admitted that 3rd person view is a controversial point.

EDIT:

4) I agree the crosshair could be a bit bigger with a bit more space in the middle (less precision). I used to use a mod for that in Arma 2.

that has been said before and is nonsense. you yourself mentioned several additional competitive games (the list gets bigger and bigger) that all use no 3rd person at all...i wonder why since you "just" have to tweak it apparently..

i'm playing on EUTW right now without third person or crosshair. very strange. i don't feel like i lost all my senses. but maybe you are right. all these people on this server here are probably just misguided and don't realise how numb they feel without all these crutc..oh sorry... elaborate human body simulation features. makes we almost think you're full of shit about all the supposed reasons why these things exist...

yes crosshairs are not the devil, but you can damn well play without them and it is not a ridiculous challenge like you try to make it look in your failed attempt at a clever analogy.

yes 3rd person isn't the devil either, but it's a widely used exploit which dayZ has shown even more since the butthurt factor is bigger there due to "permadeath" which made people realise how misplaced it is in a hardcore PvP game.

i don't even agree on the zoom since arma has graphical problems with distance. but you would know all the above if you'd prperly read (not read into) my post and wouldn't be (overre-)acting like an angry child.

Edited by Bad Benson

For the record, I do play the game without crosshairs. I just also understand the argument for them being in place and don't think they need to be removed from Regular difficulty.

Yer your right m8 no point...

No skin of my nose I don't play on servers with that crap enabled anyway so good luck to them.

Hopefully ill still be playing in another 12 years :) (wow edit 13.5 years omg its been that long ?)

and they will have moved on to whatever new fad they have found.

Every post you make is dripping with condescension. You're not the only person who has been playing this series for a long time. And, since you're apparently so experienced with this series, you might remember that the difficulty settings we have now are the same as they were in 2001.

Edited by roshnak

For the record, I do play the game without crosshairs. I just also understand the argument for them being in place and don't think they need to be removed from Regular difficulty.

well yea. i personally have no problem with crosshairs. i just like to play without sometimes (especially PvP). that's just my personal preference since it feels good to me.

3rd person on the other hand is overrepresented in arma, sadly. it's the only thing i really have a problem with since it simply ruins realistic situations like "oh i'm gonna hide in this bush, but i will have to stick my head out to look. will i do it?" or "i'm gonna flank around this wall and see if i can get the guy from behind".

instead it's more like "i'm gonna become an all seeing bush and pop out once i see people turn their back" and "i will keep my hover cam on this guy while i use the wall as cover while flanking around him".

the most popular PvP mode wasteland is mostly played with "hover cam" which is the main reason i don't play it next to bad performance and too much walking ;)