mod_SDVMod.png

Today I started a new mod for the SDV. I first wanted to figure out a way to add light to the interior. However, there are a few problems with using chemlights (noise, looks OK from exterior, but not great from interior, temporary and has to be regenerated, too bright, light spills all over the model). But luckily I found that there is actually an interior light already built into the SDV by Bohemia Interactive that solves all of these problems. They just set the values really low and you can't see it in the vanilla SDV. So I decided to play around with the settings and voila! With the doors closed, you can't see the interior light at all.

I'm also implementing a few other config changes because I don't like how you can't control the mast when you're the driver and I don't like that you can't open or close the exterior doors when outside of the SDV.

Planned Features:

• Interior Light Front - done
  • Interior Light Rear - done
  • Doors can be closed from inside or outside of the SDV - done
  • Separate Door Opening/Closing for each door - done
  • Periscope Mast can be raised or lowered by the driver - done
  • Periscope starts out stowed, not deployed, when placed on the map - done
  • Gunner PIP scope is zoomed in so it's more usable - done
  • Custom Sound Effects - Foley in progress
  • NOAS - ABANDONED DUE TO BUGS
  • 3D Clickable cockpit (maybe - only really works when not moving because of SimX limitations) - WIP
  • Other features T.B.A. - WIP

So far, I can only get the lights to turn on when the headlights are also on. I'd like to hook the interior lights up to only come on with the Collision Lights Action, but so far I'm still trying to figure out if that is even possible.

I'd also like to figure out how to change the feed on the driver and gunner PIP scopes so that I can change from TV to NV to TI and back. I have a few ideas on how to do that, but so far nothing has worked. setPIPEffect doesn't work alone, so I think I need to set it and then setObjectTexture for the SDV again or something.

screenshots-01_LR.jpg screenshots-02_LR.jpg

screenshots-03_LR.jpg screenshots-04_LR.jpg

screenshots-05_LR.jpg screenshots-06_LR.jpg

screenshots-07_LR.jpg screenshots-08_LR.jpg

Edited by Feint
added update
  • Like 2

Awesome Job Feint! Love the idea, I use pretty much all of your mods because I just love them. Keep up the great work!

-EDIT-

BTW I'm very curious what your camping mod is going to be about. Any info would be welcome! :D

Nice.

Question: will this be an addon version or script?

Thanks everyone. This will be an addon similar to the paddle mod I just released.

The camping mod is still under construction, so I'll release info on that as soon as things are stable for a possible release. :-) I had everything stable, but then Arma changed again and things are weird now. So I have to look at the code and see what the problem is. I'll put some work in on it tomorrow when I have some coding time set aside and I'll make a video.

Glad to see you around man. Looking forward to that diving mod hit hit lol

I wasn't aware about you making a ampaign - or did I misunderstand the meaning of 'campaign mod'?

Will we have more informations about it from you?

Hey Feint i know you are busy but is it possible mybe to do the same things with vehicle interiors??

I wasn't aware about you making a ampaign - or did I misunderstand the meaning of 'campaign mod'?

I think you misread dude. ^^'

Hey Feint i know you are busy but is it possible mybe to do the same things with vehicle interiors??

Maybe. The addons I choose to work on usually have to inspire me, as I'm sure anyone could understand as it's a lot of hard work and effort to do these sorts of thing. Seems like a good idea. I'll see what I can do.

Glad to see you around man. Looking forward to that diving mod hint hint lol

You and everyone else in the Arma community. Haha.

Camping, not campaign. I'll create a thread when I have something to report about it.

Got the rear light working well...

screenshots-09_LR.jpg

Outstanding mate.

And still, will it be an addon or script version or both?

If it's script, I could use it for my mission "spearhead" then.

Outstanding mate.

And still, will it be an addon or script version or both?

If it's script, I could use it for my mission "spearhead" then.

I think you missed it...

Thanks everyone. This will be an addon similar to the paddle mod I just released.

The camping mod is still under construction, so I'll release info on that as soon as things are stable for a possible release. :-) I had everything stable, but then Arma changed again and things are weird now. So I have to look at the code and see what the problem is. I'll put some work in on it tomorrow when I have some coding time set aside and I'll make a video.

Pfffff, very tired, can't read correctly...

Really love the addon so far though it'd be that extra particle of the cherry on top if the doors were able to be individually opened.

That way, the occupants wouldn't have to be exposed when the gunner or the lads in the back decide to have a peek outside.

I'm fine either way but you never know who likes sightseeing in the back seat!

Hey Feint i understand that are different models of Underwater delivery vehicles, will you try to get a hold on one of them? keep up, i'm still waiting on the diving module

Really love the addon so far though it'd be that extra particle of the cherry on top if the doors were able to be individually opened.

That way, the occupants wouldn't have to be exposed when the gunner or the lads in the back decide to have a peek outside.

I'm fine either way but you never know who likes sightseeing in the back seat!

That's true. I'll see what I can do.

Hey Feint i understand that are different models of Underwater delivery vehicles, will you try to get a hold on one of them? keep up, i'm still waiting on the diving module

I'm not aware of other models. Can you point me in the right direction?

UPDATE:

I've got the hatches working pretty well. The way I have it set up is if you are in any seat, you can open or close your own individual hatch. And, if you are outside of the SDV or in the Driver or Gunner seats, you can open or close all hatches at once.

I tried adding sonar similar to the Navigation and Obstacle Avoidance Sonar that is on the real SDVs. I kind of got it working, but it's super buggy. None of the intersect line commands seem to work correctly underwater and the nearestObject commands are super buggy as well. So unfortunately, I have to drop that part of the project, much to my dismay.

But at least the hatches are working now.

screenshots-10_LR.jpg

UPDATE:

Well, I tried a different approach and I kind of have a terrain-avoidance sonar working. I'll upload a video once I get the display closer to what I want. But here's a very early work in progress screenshot (you'll probably have to look at the larger version to see the actual display).

Basically, I measure the distance from the terrain to 40 points in front of and behind the SDV, then plot those points on a graph. The left side of the graph is the front of the SDV, the right side of the graph is behind the SDV. Works really well. I just want to scale the resolution so it looks better and make it larger to give the driver more of a warning when obstacles are ahead. Currently it measures 20 meters front and 20 meters back from the centerpoint of the SDV and from 0 to 30 meters down. I want to change it to 40 meters ahead and behind or make three of them and stagger the graphs to give a 3D graph of the terrain. But that may have some performance impact. I'll have to do some more testing.

screenshots-11_LR.jpg

EDIT: I got the second and third terrain profiles working. Looks pretty cool in motion:

screenshots-12_LR.jpg

Edited by Feint

There are some models, online just need to download, weight, texture

UPDATE: I decided to use ctrlPosition and ctrlSetPosition and some math (rather than the old hacked way) and the display is now MUCH more fluid and accurate and the fps hit is way down. It's like watching a snake move up and down as you go over hills and valleys...

screenshots-16_LR.jpg

I think it would be a good feature, although I'm not sure how attainable, to have a water purging system inside the SDV. So you could drain the water within the sub while the doors were sealed, this was a concept by the U.S navy back in the 90s it was stopped. It would seem that by the 2030s the concept could be perfected and actually deployed in the field.

If you don't mind me asking, but is this mod still being worked on? it looks amazing so far and i hope its still being worked on