Rene-k

encrypt the mission files .pbo

9 minutes ago, simon1279 said:

I've got a better idea.... ban the whole life community from the game and its community, for bringing absolute toxicity to these last, or, life community and creators MUST understand that the base game is ArmA 3 and ArmA 3's main community traditions rules in this case, otherwise make your life game mode a standalone game and do whatever you want!

Deja Vu! I remember hearing the same about DayZ and its community, and look what happened. Personally I think it is statements like the one above that damage Arma community more. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, killzone_kid said:

Deja Vu! I remember hearing the same about DayZ and its community, and look what happened. Personally I think it is statements like the one above that damage Arma community more. 

This was just sarcasm......, but yeah history repeats, it is happening the same as seen in ArmA2 with DayZ mod, now it's time of: Life Game Mode, and topics and discussions are looking pretty much the same, with people asking to close, lock, secure, encrypt their stuff made in a game's editor which has a single main purpose: create and sharing, isn't it?

BTW there should be an EULA to prevent these kind of topics to come out every 3, 4 months and from what i can see these kind of topics for the most are written and supported by users registered on the forums after the release of ArmA 3, which leads me thinking that this game ain't for them according to their mindset (no this is not sarcasm at all)

14 hours ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

My opinion is that the owner of the IP (3d, 2d and text) be allowed to do with it as they wish and not be harassed to publish something :)

My opinion is that if you used any public resources or learned off of anybody else's work, you should leave your work unobfuscated as to "pay it forward" and allow others to learn from you.

The whole protectionism way of thought when it comes to addons and missions is something very new and in my opinion, negative.

• Like 2

@gossamersolid, that theory would work if the Arma community stayed consistent, but it hasn't. The code that myself and others would have learned from years ago is still available... not obfuscated. Newcomers to scripting are more than welcome to learn from the same material that we did. Someone will probably mention that the newer, more contemporary commands will not be included in these older missions, but we also had to learn from the Wiki once they were introduced. Unfortunately, times have changed and stealing is now a common part of Arma mission making which needs to stop. Sitting back and allowing the theft to continue will only make this problem worse. Or as some very ignorant person once said, we could 'ban the life community'.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrCopyright said:

Or as some very ignorant person once said, we could 'ban the life community'.

Do I sense sarcasm?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gossamersolid said:

My opinion is that if you used any public resources or learned off of anybody else's work, you should leave your work unobfuscated as to "pay it forward" and allow others to learn from you.

The whole protectionism way of thought when it comes to addons and missions is something very new and in my opinion, negative.

what about maintaining both public and private work :)

and also running around the forums helping out newbs and other modders who are stuck with something, I think is sufficient "pay it forward".

fact is, there are many predators in the arma community now, who dont give a **** about intellectual property. it makes sense on larger projects to take reasonable steps to protect against.

On 06/03/2017 at 6:40 AM, celludriel said:

Selfish dick move wanting to encrypt knowledge if you ask me.  There is probably a way by altering some bytes in the pbo that pbo manager will crash on but the game won't.  There always are some bytes not used by the engine that are filler.  However dick move, regardless if you want to "safeguard" your work.

Share the wealth, anyone is free to use my work they don't even have to give me credit AND they can claim it as their own I don't give a rats ass as long as people enjoy the content I have made I'm happy and fullfilled.

You could always just ask the author how he did it.

It would make for a far less hostile community if people simply asked questions rather than steal.  Its just lazy and selfish to do anything else.

6 hours ago, rksl-rock said:

You could always just ask the author how he did it.

It would make for a far less hostile community if people simplay asked questions rather than steal.  Its just lazy and selfish to do anything else.

they care more about your source code than they care about you ;)

• Like 1

On 3/10/2017 at 5:41 PM, gossamersolid said:

I agree with you, but I have a unique situation. I would like to publish my encrypted missions on Steam not in order to hide my work from everyone, but only from certain friends. In the mission folder there is a script with a blacklist of kik