Rene-k

encrypt the mission files .pbo

1 hour ago, simon1279 said:

A modder which don't want other people to use their stuff must make its own game with its own DLCs, locking stuff is totally against arma community, ArmA 3 Life it's Arma 3 using engine, editor, units and scripting from Arma 3 base game, As far as i can see reading here and there, Life game mode is bringing some players that are trying to make this awesome community a little bit toxic under my point of view.........

Some people like to make something and only use it on their servers, make it unique, isn't their right that their hundred of hours of work stays protected?? Others may not care and wouldn't mind others to use it, that is their right to share.

In one word the short answer is NOPE

The game series  ArmA and its community never worked like that, someone has the right to protect his hard work on a rented engine and/or making one by themselves, investing time and moneys for a commercial purpose product, not for modding a sandbox.

This mindset will lead in something UBI and EA policies like, and it is something i would never see in ArmA series, which is great since the dear old times of ArmA 1 because of its community focused content creation, a great game with a great open source community and community content creation and knowledge sharing behind it.

I can understand your point of view, but if you believe that your point of view is right, then i suggest you to use: UE4 or Unity or Cryengine, making your own game and sell it on Steam and good luck with that.

I created some mods myself and missions as well, both for ArmA 2 and ArmA 3 and i've worked with many great guys on other modding projects and scripting creations for this game and i never ever thought to protect my hardwork making someone else to not being able to grab my work, improve it or using it to make a starting base for something better than my job for the community to use.

And look most of the guys behind the front of the NO in all of the posts like this one, are long date scripters and content creators since the times of ArmA 1, myself included.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simon1279 said:

In one word the short answer is NOPE

The game series  ArmA and its community never worked like that, someone has the right to protect his hard work on a rented engine and/or making one by themselves, investing time and moneys for a commercial purpose product, not for modding a sandbox.

This mindset will lead in something UBI and EA policies like, and it is something i would never see in ArmA series, which is great since the dear old times of ArmA 1 because of its community focused content creation, a great game with a great open source community and community content creation and knowledge sharing behind it.

I can understand your point of view, but if you believe that your point of view is right, then i suggest you to use: UE4 or Unity or Cryengine, making your own game and sell it on Steam and good luck with that.

I created some mods myself and missions as well, both for ArmA 2 and ArmA 3 and i've worked with many great guys on other modding projects and scripting creations for this game and i never ever thought to protect my hardwork making someone else to not being able to grab my work, improve it or using it to make a starting base for something better than my job for the community to use.

And look most of the guys behind the front of the NO in all of the posts like this one, are long date scripters and content creators since the times of ArmA 1, myself included.

My point of view mate is something I believe in, but I am not practising, like you, I would not care if others use my work and I will not have it blocked. But I do believe that people have the right to protect their work if they want to. And that is why I shared that link earlier. Work is work, does not matter whether it has been done for Arma or someone made their own game, they both put time and effort to get the result they got and both have the right to conserve their work if they want to.

Work is work if it is work indeed, talking about ArmA content creation, we're talking about entertainment, if you do it, you're doing it for entertainment, it is not work, nobody pays you for that and it is not expected that somebody may pay you for ArmA content creation, asking for moneys or protecting "your work" it is something related to the devolution of society and community valor which is something that i see pretty common around this world nowadays, here we're a great and cool community so we're looking for continuous evolution starting from core engine of the game to game content creation by users, evolution is the future of human kind while devolution is getting back to medieval age, of course we do have high tech stuff nowadays, but as i can see mindset is getting back to medieval age in every field from politics to entertainment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, simon1279 said:

Work is work if it is work indeed, talking about ArmA content creation, we're talking about entertainment, if you do it, you're doing it for entertainment, it is not work, nobody pays you for that and it is not expected that somebody may pay you for ArmA content creation, asking for moneys or protecting "your work" it is something related to the devolution of society and community valor which is something that i see pretty common around this world nowadays, here we're a great and cool community so we're looking for continuous evolution starting from core engine of the game to game content creation by users, evolution is the future of human kind while devolution is getting back to medieval age, of course we do have high tech stuff nowadays, but as i can see mindset is getting back to medieval age in every field from politics to entertainment.

I see your point now, and yeah you're right. I agree. Glad the link got removed 

• Like 2

On 3/7/2017 at 7:07 AM, fn_Quiksilver said:

bohemia encrypts their stuff, and awarded big money $50k to winners of MANW contest who heavily obfuscated and encrypted their stuff

also there is no such thing as 'the arma community'. there is no community spirit between average Arma 3 Life player and most milsim unit members, for instance. there are half a dozen definable 'arma communities', and unfortunately some of them in recent years have turned to theft. i dont see problem with modder doing what he can to resist theft.

One of the winners of MANW took my mission, all the scripts inside it, then simply replaced the helicopters with UN helicopters, and presto. 

10 hours ago, simon1279 said:

you're projecting your perspective and for some reason thinking others should also see things the same way.

have you published anything?

i'm not projecting my prospective, the only one allowed to make money from ArmA and its engine is Bohemia Intercative which is the developer/publisher of such game, same goes for encrypting files of any kind generated from and for ArmA engine by "3rd party developers", only the publisher/developer (Bohemia Interactive) can do it, just because it is their property  and that's all, isn't it?

answering your question just ask around the forums and you'll find your answers.

communications out!

13 hours ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

have you published anything?

I have and I'm against the idea of obfuscating/encrypting the mission.

I learned a lot from other people's work and I know a majority of people fall under that same category.

• Like 4

The reason a lot of people like to obfuscate their work is because people steal it as their own, or don't credit the real hard worker if they used it. 

I pretty sure people would not bother obfuscating their work if they knew their hard work is safe under their name. I would not care at all if someone takes my work and uses it to learn, but I will be pissed as hell if they steal it as their own. That is why my plan is to obfuscate my mission files, but release all the functions and vehicle skins to the public on my community's website, here and Armaholic where I am sure it will be harder to steal 

36 minutes ago, BlacKnightBK said:

That is why my plan is to obfuscate my mission files, 

However doing so will be breaking BIS EULA. I assume you haven't read it?

2 minutes ago, R0adki11 said:

I did read it before, and I just read it now again. There is nothing that states I am not allowed to obfuscate the mission file or even within those lines. If I missed it please let me know.

https://www.bistudio.com/community/licenses/arma3-end-user-license

1 minute ago, BlacKnightBK said:

I did read it before, and I just read it now again. There is nothing that states I am not allowed to obfuscate the mission file or even within those lines. If I missed it please let me know.

https://www.bistudio.com/community/licenses/arma3-end-user-license

I am not best to comment, as i am not a BIS Employee. (I am volunteer community moderator). I have passed the query over to our head moderator. 

28 minutes ago, R0adki11 said:

I am not best to comment, as i am not a BIS Employee. (I am volunteer community moderator). I have passed the query over to our head moderator. 

Cool, I would love to know before i am finished with my first mission file.

14 minutes ago, serena said:

KittenX.jpg

Come on, do not do this to me. I will still be releasing all the vehicles textures and functions to the public

3 hours ago, BlacKnightBK said:

The reason a lot of people like to obfuscate their work is because people steal it as their own, or don't credit the real hard worker if they used it. 

I pretty sure people would not bother obfuscating their work if they knew their hard work is safe under their name. I would not care at all if someone takes my work and uses it to learn, but I will be pissed as hell if they steal it as their own. That is why my plan is to obfuscate my mission files, but release all the functions and vehicle skins to the public on my community's website, here and Armaholic where I am sure it will be harder to steal 

People can still take your obfuscated scripts and reverse engineer them. Don't underestimate somebody who wants to steal your stuff. If they really want to, they still will.

Bottom line, if you don't want your work stolen, just don't bother uploading it to the internet.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, R0adki11 said:

BIS uses EUTW community mode as internal mode for testing. It is obfuscated.

BIS awarded $50k to KotH in MANW contest. It is obfuscated.

BIS marked ALIVE mod as one of best entries in MANW. It is obfuscated.

BIS released Expansion some time ago. It is encrypted.

It seems BIS is making their opinion on the subject clear.

My opinion is that the owner of the IP (3d, 2d and text) be allowed to do with it as they wish and not be harassed to publish something :)

• Like 2

Ironic that the Original Poster wants free use of a program to encrypt something he doesnt want to share...even more ironic he asked on a forum that was built on community members sharing their stuff.

Diesel

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gossamersolid said:

People can still take your obfuscated scripts and reverse engineer them. Don't underestimate somebody who wants to steal your stuff. If they really want to, they still will.

Bottom line, if you don't want your work stolen, just don't bother uploading it to the internet.

if they are going to reverse Engineer it then it would be easier for them to just rescript it. The reason I would like to make sure that my work is only accessible from public websites is then people would know that this is my work. Licenses do not really protect someone's work unless people know about it.

9 hours ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

BIS uses EUTW community mode as internal mode for testing. It is obfuscated.

BIS awarded $50k to KotH in MANW contest. It is obfuscated.

BIS marked ALIVE mod as one of best entries in MANW. It is obfuscated.

BIS released Expansion some time ago. It is encrypted.

It seems BIS is making their opinion on the subject clear.

My opinion is that the owner of the IP (3d, 2d and text) be allowed to do with it as they wish and not be harassed to publish something :)

Well in my opinion i thought it would be breaking the EULA. As a volunteer community moderator and not a BIS employee i can't say directly if it its ok or not. 

The fact that BI created EBO files completely destroys anyone's argument about encryption going against the community. Since Arma 3 Life, the community has become very toxic with a dramatic increase in intellectual property theft and copyright infringements. I will agree that encrypting and obfuscating mission files prevents some people from learning, but it also helps to root out this normalised behaviour that stealing is okay. Hopefully, the Arma community will regress back to the times when you didn't need to protect your work, but until that time comes, I think the positives of encryption far outweigh the negatives. If BI feel the need to protect their work, then so should content creators.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BlacKnightBK said:

Someone "stole" my textures, someone else asked me to give him my textures, in any case my textures and retextured objects (2 months of work)  has been used for better usage than the one from myself, in some cases i've received some credits in their projects in other cases my nick is not appearing at all, BTW i'm happy to play some addons which are using my stuff and which are better made than mine.

This is the real beauty of ArmA community since a long time, much more time before ArmA 3 release......

10 minutes ago, MrCopyright said:

The fact that BI created EBO files completely destroys anyone's argument about encryption going against the community. Since Arma 3 Life, the community has become very toxic with a dramatic increase in intellectual property theft and copyright infringements. I will agree that encrypting and obfuscating mission files prevents some people from learning. but it also helps to root out this normalised behaviour that stealing is okay. Hopefully, the Arma community will regress back to the times when you didn't need to protect your work, but until that time comes, I thing the positives of encryption far outweigh the negatives. If BI feel the need to protect their work, then so should content creators.

I've got a better idea.... ban the whole life community from the game and its community, for bringing absolute toxicity to these last, or, life community and creators MUST understand that the base game is ArmA 3 and ArmA 3's main community traditions rules in this case, otherwise make your life game mode a standalone game and do whatever you want!

@simon1279, that's extremely ignorant. I have been involved in the 'life' scene since Chernarus Life back on Arma 2. Although I enjoy the military aspect of Arma, I adore the fact that you can create whatever you want. This series would not be where it is without DayZ and the life mods. It has generated millions in sales which has enabled BI to create something far more than just an upgrade from Arma 2. It has allowed funding to go into additional projects, like Project Argo and the DLC packs. Unfortunately for you, life mods are here to stay. As mentioned earlier, the only way to remove this toxicity is to clamp down on the illicit behaviour by having BI enforce their terms more efficiently and by reducing theft. Once this behaviour is not normalised, content creators will not need to worry about scrupulously protecting their work.

• Like 2