Rene-k

encrypt the mission files .pbo

Hi, im new at this Forum. I have used the search function but dident find anything what is helping me.

I ask me if it gives a way to encrypt the .pbo file.

That just People that i wand can open it.

I wand to encrypt them to safe my work. It gives things then skins or scripts that i dident wand sharing.

And normal each user ther gomes on the server downloading the mission file, and he can open it.

I wand to encrypt them that the user diden`t can open it.

Gives it a way to encrypt the .pbo or is there no way?

I hope you understand me and sry for my ba english

Encrypting pbo files would lead to all sorts of nonsense and exploits :p

If you want to protect your work then just release it under a licence.

Oh dear - this question again. :)

Rene, this does get asked from time to time and it usually isn't popular. It's very much against the spirit of the community, especially where mission making is concerned.

Presumably you can see the irony in you coming here asking for help from the community in a project where you specifically want to withhold what you do from that same community?

You might have your reasons. Some time ago a chap wanted to run a competition where he didn't want his contestants to see the mission ahead of time, but you've not given any reasons yet.

No, it isn't possible and that's a good thing IMHO.

And it'd likely cause problems for Arma to read the mission, depending on what encryption we're talking about.

But I'm not going to lie, I've seen some "bad apples" in communities claiming other people's work! Just by adding their names to it and calling it theirs. Of course totally blocking the files is extreme, but maybe hiding a piece of code, a signature, is the way to go.

Check this out, also, Rene: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?178029-Encryption-in-SQF-SQF-Crypt-Script

Edited by rakowozz

That time of the year again :P

If the "user" can't open it then neither can your server, or each user that downloads it upon connection.

Well, I'm sharing theatopinion with the others that encrypting your work is somehow against the spirit and the community that make this game so great.

However, there must be some way as I read somewhere that BIS encrypts DLC content (for a certain time at least). I've got no idea how they did it though.

Edited by IndeedPete

BIS binarize PBO files just how the game handles it.

There has been no reverse-engineering of this method nor have there been any "reversal" tools to de-binarize a file which would offer a method of binarizing a pbo.

Gives it a way to encrypt the .pbo or is there no way?

You can encrypt it with GPG so that nobody can use it ;) -Your english is pretty funny... german? :)

It's very much against the spirit of the community, especially where mission making is concerned.

^ This

However, IF it is a mission that you only plan to run on your own server, then you can outsource the vital script-parts (serverside stuff) by not putting it in the missionfolder and instead loading them directly from a directory on your server.

So even though I generally don't support the idea of encrypting user-made content – I can understand that in some cases it does make sense to keep the server-side stuff out of the pbo.

Your english is pretty funny... german? :)

Sounds like it.

Yes im still German ^^ that i why my english sucks as well ;)

i give you guys right its nice to share scripts and i share and help other how i can.

But i still mean it sucks that some one edit his name in it and says its my one.

Or when i sitting here to make a nice texture vor a car that some on steal it and made it public with this name.

That is why i wand encrypt it. So that no one can steal my things. And can use only that what im sharing.

Yes im still German ^^ that i why my english sucks as well ;)

i give you guys right its nice to share scripts and i share and help other how i can.

But i still mean it sucks that some one edit his name in it and says its my one.

Or when i sitting here to make a nice texture vor a car that some on steal it and made it public with this name.

That is why i wand encrypt it. So that no one can steal my things. And can use only that what im sharing.

Actually I've found the community are pretty quick to "out" someone trying to pass of others work as their own.

I've had some of my work ripped off without credit.

One way is to publish it on a couple of forums, i.e. here and armaholic.com. And of course forums in your home nation.

P.S. And forget anyone mocking your English, lest we go searching through all their posts, and go "Grammar Nazi" on their use of English. (no offence meant in that pun). See how they'd like it then.

Edited by Beerkan

Sorry for the bump

By the way,i discovered a pbo , downloaded from a server as a normal mission,that can not be opened. Pbo manager just crashes when i try to open that mission file. How is this even possibile?

Sorry for the bump

By the way,i discovered a pbo , downloaded from a server as a normal mission,that can not be opened. Pbo manager just crashes when i try to open that mission file. How is this even possibile?

If you are interested in this contact me via pm, I think I can help you with that ;)

Regards Arkensor

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 11:07 PM, _.Dardo._ said:

Sorry for the bump

Hi guys, yes I too have one like that, PBO manager just crashes and says that the file is corrupt, so I deleted it, rejoined the server again, same thing when I try to open it.

Selfish dick move wanting to encrypt knowledge if you ask me.  There is probably a way by altering some bytes in the pbo that pbo manager will crash on but the game won't.  There always are some bytes not used by the engine that are filler.  However dick move, regardless if you want to "safeguard" your work.

Share the wealth, anyone is free to use my work they don't even have to give me credit AND they can claim it as their own I don't give a rats ass as long as people enjoy the content I have made I'm happy and fullfilled.

• Like 2

Let's say yes, there is a way to kinda encrypt, but Ingame you will always be able to have a look at the scripts etc.

The Arma community does not like encrypted stuff, so you won't get a tutorial for that I guess.

• Like 3

If you create mission you can change the settings in the eden editor to not binarize your mission file. But that makes it readable for everyone and has to be done before the first save.

There is a way in which you can block your mission file so no one can open it but it is a teeny bit costly, I discovered it when I wanted to unpack a PBO file to take a look at some of their scripts (before you start assuming, I just wanted to learn). 

Edited by R0adki11
link removed - as likely breaking BIS EULA

6 hours ago, BlacKnightBK said:

There is a way in which you can block your mission file so no one can open it but it is a teeny bit costly, I discovered it when I wanted to unpack a PBO file to take a look at some of their scripts (before you start assuming, I just wanted to learn). 

BK, you've posted some very helpful stuff at times on these forums, but your above post is way and above your worst ever.

Way to contribute.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BlacKnightBK said:

Link has been removed, as its likely the BIS EULA could have been broken. 

1 minute ago, Beerkan said:

BK, you've posted some very helpful stuff at times on these forums, but your above post is way and above your worst ever.

Way to contribute.

The thing is mate as a dev I will be annoyed if someone just takes my whole mission file and runs it on their server as it is like they own it. 

People spend a lot of times on these scripts, if they share it is awesome, if they want to keep it to themselves it is their choice. I would never take someone else's work as mine and i have credited even the people who taught me something new or contributed a teeny bit. But not everyone does that and it worries some people

On 3/6/2017 at 8:04 PM, bloodwyn1756 said:

Let's say yes, there is a way to kinda encrypt, but Ingame you will always be able to have a look at the scripts etc.

The Arma community does not like encrypted stuff, so you won't get a tutorial for that I guess.

bohemia encrypts their stuff, and awarded big money $50k to winners of MANW contest who heavily obfuscated and encrypted their stuff

also there is no such thing as 'the arma community'. there is no community spirit between average Arma 3 Life player and most milsim unit members, for instance. there are half a dozen definable 'arma communities', and unfortunately some of them in recent years have turned to theft. i dont see problem with modder doing what he can to resist theft.

• Like 4

A modder which don't want other people to use their stuff must make its own game with its own DLCs, locking stuff is totally against arma community, ArmA 3 Life it's Arma 3 using engine, editor, units and scripting from Arma 3 base game, As far as i can see reading here and there, Life game mode is bringing some players that are trying to make this awesome community a little bit toxic under my point of view.........

• Like 3