Feint

Paddle Mod - RELEASED!

On 3/20/2017 at 10:43 AM, Evil Organ said:

Hi feint, great to see this mod getting an update.

Regarding the camouflage feature, could it be extended to land vehicles?

Thanks for the kind words.  

The camoBoat.sqf script is tailored specifically to the CRRC at the moment.  I'd have to rewrite so much of the script for different vehicles that it would be better for me to think of a different way of doing things.  It might be better to let the player pick where the brush/bushes would go.  Probably the best way to do it would be to create "sticky bushes" that a player could generate, then go to and pick up, then go to the vehicle and hit a key to attach it to the vehicle.  That would probably be better than adapting this script, honestly, as it would make it adaptable for other vehicles.  But it would require a new script be written from scratch.

I could theoretically create a script that adds bushes to the outside of the boundingBox of the vehicle, drops them, then adds an EpeContact eventHandler to each bush so that when the bush hits the vehicle, it attaches in place.  It would probably be a bit iffy with the results being different every time, and I'm not sure the bushes would fall down when dropped or given a negative Z velocityModel vector.  But they might.  I know some people have asked me in the past about making a script for adding bushes to vehicles.  This might be the quick (yet immersion breaking) way forward.

What kind of vehicles did you have in mind?  So far I've only seen tanks from WW2 and some spec ops jeeps using foliage for camouflage.

• Like 2

@feint you could also use lineIntersectsSurfaces to shoot some rays from some points on the bounding box to its center to gather some intersection positions all around the surface of the vehicle to place the bushes there. just an idea.

• Like 1

For some reason the only thing that I can get to work is the kill switch. Is there something that I have to add to my mission file to get other features to work? Is there a certain boat that it works with? I've only tried with the vanilla assault boat

Saw this yesterday and was glad it got an update. Seriously considering putting it in my newest mission. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2017 at 9:54 PM, bad benson said:

@feint you could also use lineIntersectsSurfaces to shoot some rays from some points on the bounding box to its center to gather some intersection positions all around the surface of the vehicle to place the bushes there. just an idea.

interestin idea. I'll have to try that.

On 3/22/2017 at 1:56 AM, LT Harris said:

For some reason the only thing that I can get to work is the kill switch. Is there something that I have to add to my mission file to get other features to work? Is there a certain boat that it works with? I've only tried with the vanilla assault boat

No, you don't have to add anything your mission file.  Check the keybinding.  Check it without other mods.  Maybe there's a conflict with one of your other addons.

Version 3.4 has been released.  

OK, so I noticed that a few boat mods and vanilla boats were using Rubber_duck_base_F as a parent.  And since the OLD version was modifying that parent, I noticed a few unintended consequences in terms of boat handling.  So I've changed the way the Paddle Mod modifies the following values:

• insideSoundCoef
  • rudderForceCoef
  • enginePower
  • thrustDelay
  • waterLinearDamping

So now, instead of modifying Rubber_duck_base_F, the following classnames are modified:

• "Rescue_duck_base_F"
  • "I_C_Boat_Transport_01_F"
  • "I_G_Boat_Transport_01_F"
  • "I_Boat_Transport_01_F"
  • "B_Boat_Transport_01_F"
  • "O_Boat_Transport_01_F"
  • "O_T_Boat_Transport_01_F"
  • (basically all of the vanilla Zodiac CRRC-style boats)

So I haven't tested a lot of addon boats yet, but this might result in some of the handling benefits (and the ability to bury the boat and add camo to the boat) might be removed from those addon boats if they were using Rubber_duck_base_F as a parent instead of one of the above.  This could be a good or a bad thing.  Either way, if you have a boat addon and you want me to add your classname base to the Paddle Mod to adopt some of the above changes, please send me a PM.

There are additional tweaks and fixes and changes to the Paddle Mod in version 3.4 too, mostly having to do with speed and efficiency of the code, but also some other things which will slightly improve the user experience I hope.  First post modified.  

• Like 2

Version 3.5 has bee uploaded in response to a bug report that multiple shovels were being created on ALiVE servers. I added a potential fix.  Let me know if the fix works or if there are any other problems.  I also added the fix to the camouflaging the boat script, the burying of the boat script and the rope throwing and dragging scripts/functions:

VERSION 3.5 Changelog

• Added an "isServer" check to a few key scripts to avoid createVehicle firing on every machine in multiplayer environments. Please let me know if there are any negative issues with this fix or if the fix does not work.

Wohoho Feint is back guys, let's re-embark ! Straight to Tanoa's mangrove swamp !

Great to see this awesome mod up and running again, I was really missing it since the last CBA keys changes.

• Like 1

Would love to see it included in ACE3 :P 

There used to be a problem with this mod if you used it with ALiVE it leaves paddles all over the beach that number in the many hundreds and you are typically unable to recover a camouflaged boat that you hid. Not because you can't find it but because it doesn't want to get pulled out of the bushes you covered it with. At least this was the experience we had with this mod when I ran my ALiVE mission (Tanoa Takedown) a year ago. Looks like he did make a patch and posted it to the Steam Workshop. Will resub to it and see how it works now.