Sign in to follow this  
GreyKnight

First strike mission - ouch! (spoiler alert)

I'm struggling to work out how to beat the First Strike mission, the one where you have to defend a town from Soviet tank assault with a few tanks of your own. There are about fourteen enemy tanks and about eight friendly tanks, but you only have control of two of them! The Soviets just waste all your tanks easily? I've tried satchel charges, mines etc, but I just get blitzed.... Ouch!

Can't offer any trick. I loaded up with mines, had a few guys take extra. Set up a line of mines across the far side off the crest just down the road then laid a second line of satchel charges just on our side or the rise.

Mines took out a lot of the first wave of armour, satchels took out a few of the second wave. The bad guys who survived didn't do so in sufficient numbers to really challenge my armour.

Luck does play a part in how many of the bad guys actually reach you though.

I don't have tricks neither. But maybe i can give you some helpful tips.  smile.gif

The Soviets are coming along the main road with their main tank assault. I ordered each one of my two tank groups to this road, one group to one side of the road respectively. (Maybe some two hundred meters south from the starting point. The street is somehow "Y"-shaped there.)

I ordered the other two guys to man the empty BMP and drove to the other groups.

Then we waited for the attack.

And it was a massacre. The Soviets never stood a chance, despite their numerical superiority. They just kinda drove right into the cannon fire of my tanks.

After the battle ended, all soviet tanks were destroyed, while I only lost two tanks.

Afterwards I ordered all remaining tanks to take care of the advancing soviet Infantry groups.

Needless to say, they didn't stand a chance against the remaining Resistance Tanks.  wink.gif

I destroyed them all with a kozlice with 2 shells and then again maybe i didn't

I got layed a few mines, sent all other tanks to waypoint and got in a BMP, those missiles are good, I kept back a bit though so i wasn't the first target biggrin.gif

Okay, I got it finally, and I only lost the one soldier who is outside a tank! I used a strikingly different tactic though. I sent all my tanks way off behind the town (in the opposite direction to the enemy advance) and then laid a bunch of mines and satchel charges inside the town itself. Then I let the enemy roll right into the town. I perched myself on top of the skyscraper with the Dragunov and an RPG and killed all the RPG soldiers at a distance, then took out the BMP's with the RPG. Half the tanks bought it on the mines and satchel charges, then I called my tanks back in to massacre the remaining forces. Nice...

It's odd - I did it totally different - it involved no mines/satchels charges/RPG's

You know where you start you are at the bottom of a hill - well I got in the T55 as a gunner and my AI partner as the driver - I ordered everyone into a line and told them to fall back into formation.

I proceeded up the hill and just by the forest there is a small hill with some trees at the bottom - (in between the two road - you thinking about a plan yet?)

Well I first got myself positioned so that my men were in a line covering the hill and the flank (the road)

Well I was waiting there for a while and using the Tactical view I could see the approaching Tanks and they were coming down the lower road (the one you start on)

Well what I did was basically wait till they came round the hill and all my men opened fire including me - the first wave was beaten easily with the loss of a BMP and a T72

The men were next and wer dispatched easily with Heat and Machine Gun rounds.

Finally the second tank column went the other way (along the top road) and this time when we engaged them the enemy tanks were side on while we were ready waiting - we slaughtered them as they came one by one roud the blind side of the hill.

I gues I was lucky that we were able to engage with superior numbers - smile.gif and at a short range where the T55/72's could actually hold there own.

Never had to use my tanks. All I did was mine the road and use the RPG. I took out about 4 with the mines, and some of the other tanks got hurt. I went on top of the building and wait for the tanks to stop. They stopped next to each other so I just blast one of them and was able to get a chain reaction and took out two more. Two more shots took out the rest, and my AK killed the few troops that got away from the blast.