Sign in to follow this  
CaptainAzimuth

Imagine What Next Gen In Arma Would Look Like

Australia and it sucks because there are snakes and all sorts in there, not fun for a grunt at all lol.

:D

Sure, there's (almost) chest high grass in my back yard too, but I've yet to find that in Altis.

A part of me wants to see some terrain deformation. I saw the trailers for that Spintires game and I want my Humvee to get stuck in two feet of mud so someone has to tow me out. And when I try to get out I'm spinning around and tearing up the place.

Plus I can make cities look like the surface of the Moon with artillery.

Less infantry sim, more full war sim. So ships/subs/planes with multiple fully detailed and operational stations (comms, radar, missiles, deck guns, navigator/skipper). Real looking vehicle interiors and aforementioned stations. Surely photos of the real things can be used to achieve this?

Less infantry sim, more full war sim. So ships/subs/planes with multiple fully detailed and operational stations (comms, radar, missiles, deck guns, navigator/skipper). Real looking vehicle interiors and aforementioned stations. Surely photos of the real things can be used to achieve this?

It can be done. I'd actually want to see BI remove the UI locking system and fix the HUD so that targets actually show up on In Vehicle HUD's like in Arma 2. But yeah, i'm sure it can be done.

It can be done. I'd actually want to see BI remove the UI locking system and fix the HUD so that targets actually show up on In Vehicle HUD's like in Arma 2. But yeah, i'm sure it can be done.

Given the fact Arma 3 focused on infantry gameplay, perhaps there is yet hope for vehicles in the future. Although, even with a limited knowledge of game development, I'd say developing a full simulation of each vehicle would be prohibitive both financially and chronologically. Definitely something I'd like to see worked on, though.

Now to wait for a dev to respond...

:D

Sure, there's (almost) chest high grass in my back yard too, but I've yet to find that in Altis.

It grows like that everywhere and whats missing is the sharp seeds that jam into your clothing from the grass that scratch you. Altis has a similar climate to Townsville so it would make sense for it to be like that.

Given the fact Arma 3 focused on infantry gameplay, perhaps there is yet hope for vehicles in the future. Although, even with a limited knowledge of game development, I'd say developing a full simulation of each vehicle would be prohibitive both financially and chronologically. Definitely something I'd like to see worked on, though.

I'm not suggesting vehicles should be fully simulated at all. Just that the interiors should look realistic to enhance immersion and that ships/planes, etc should have realistic looking and usable stations. I don't expect DCS level helos and so on, which would be impractical.

I'm not suggesting vehicles should be fully simulated at all. Just that the interiors should look realistic to enhance immersion

I can't see the benefit of having 3d interiors for immersion when other parts of that immersion completely fail and we realize that tanks drive like shit

I am not quite sure if next gen hardware can handle it but if the possibility exists I would dream of bipods! But I am no fool and know that the hardware is still not quite there yet.

I am not quite sure if next gen hardware can handle it but if the possibility exists I would dream of bipods! But I am no fool and know that the hardware is still not quite there yet.

Bipods wouldn't hurt performance at all, there is no reason it should be for next gen hardware.

Bipods wouldn't hurt performance at all, there is no reason it should be for next gen hardware.

I think he was just joking.

I think he was just joking.

Really? That wasn't very obvious, nor funny.

Really? That wasn't very obvious, nor funny.

I thought he was right. Obviously, studies have shown that only IBM supercomputers have the processing power to even attempt to simulate the complex mathematical and physics-related algorithms involved with bipods. One needs to compute everything down to the subatomic level for flawless, seamless bipod deployment.

However, those programs take hours to execute and I don't think that consumer-grade hardware is able to do that.

Dude...

I am aware of that.

It was just a sarcastic statement that should point out that we are still waiting for bipods since OPF times.

We already have Bipods working in ACE2 for Arma2 I'm sure eventually we'll see them working in Arma3 as they really need them since the sniper rifle is very heavy for the unfit soldier modelling of Arma3.

ACE and other similar mods use a hack to emulate bipods. a proper way would be to make the weapon pivot, make it possible to rest weapons on all kinds of surfaces even without them etc. that's out of scope of most mods and should be, ideally, done on the engine level, not with scripting

I thought he was right. Obviously, studies have shown that only IBM supercomputers have the processing power to even attempt to simulate the complex mathematical and physics-related algorithms involved with bipods. One needs to compute everything down to the subatomic level for flawless, seamless bipod deployment.

However, those programs take hours to execute and I don't think that consumer-grade hardware is able to do that.

Exactly my thoughts! =D

I'm not suggesting vehicles should be fully simulated at all. Just that the interiors should look realistic to enhance immersion and that ships/planes, etc should have realistic looking and usable stations. I don't expect DCS level helos and so on, which would be impractical.

DCS level helos allow much greater flexibility of the pilot maybe as a minimum though they could model the weapons realistic enough to make CAS work. The fixed wing aircraft are good as well but really need some extra attention with a targeting pod of some sort.

I would expect the AI to be able to reverse a vehicle or use a building for cover in next gen Arma.

Is next gen hardware going to be single core CPUs running at 7 or 8 Ghz? Because that is what Arma 4 will need to run well, because the engine will basically be Arma 3 plus 4 years of patches.

Edited by jiltedjock

DCS level helos allow much greater flexibility of the pilot maybe as a minimum though they could model the weapons realistic enough to make CAS work. The fixed wing aircraft are good as well but really need some extra attention with a targeting pod of some sort.

What is your suggerstion for allowing players without a HOTAS to operate a targeting pod while flying an aircraft? Or with just a mouse and keyboard?

Yes and that is exactly why I gave up on ArmA and went to DCS...just to find out that stuff does not work as well as in FC2 and BS anymore because DCS is even more buggy then ArmA and suffering from slow netcode and still single CPU use. Obviously it's not all that easy.

What is your suggerstion for allowing players without a HOTAS to operate a targeting pod while flying an aircraft? Or with just a mouse and keyboard?

Arrow Keys, you know? That, or you can put it in an autopilot of sorts, where it just keeps your pitch and roll and speed, and use your mouse.

It really would not be that hard.

Arrow Keys, you know? That, or you can put it in an autopilot of sorts, where it just keeps your pitch and roll and speed, and use your mouse.

It really would not be that hard.

How hard it would be to tie MFD controls to arrows or the numpad? I mean, with the recent upgrades in the aircraft HUDs, screens, instruments and the highly detailed interiors (on the vehicles that have it................. (...) ........) it can not only solve a lot of usability problems (weapon selection, FCS, M-TADS/PNVS) but add to the realism and the whole experience of playing the game.

It only makes sense and can't be THAT hard. Whats the next vehicular DLC?

I was rolling harder than a rolly-polly on this one. My abs hurt from laughter, though, i kinda agree, there really shouldn't be a problem with Bipods. Wasn't the first game to use Bipods done on the Source engine? If i'm wrong correct me.

Alot of the things BI havn't added in are due to changes during development, and time restraints due to still, unknown problems back when Arma 3 was announced. As you could tell from first pictures, exsisting Blufor vehicles had CSAT camo on them back before even Alpha. Theres a deeper story to it apparently, but anyway.

I would love a targeting pod that you could use the arrow keys to control.

Nvidia's PhysX... What if ponds were made of actual moving water. Since they can't do it the conventional way since Arma 2 and before, why not use some of the crazy existing Physics manipulating features of Nvidia. It would be cool to drive into a pond, or drive a boat across and watch the water move. The ripples could be caused by wind. Just a thought.

-underground, tunnels

-modern city map

-engine utilizing full potential of modern hardware

-hovercrafts

-trains

-more turtles