Sign in to follow this  
mannyrecon

M4 Howitzer or MLRS?

I am brand new to the Arma series, and for the week that I've played it I absolutely LOVE every aspect. In particular, I love the artillery the most. This past weekend alone, I racked up over 400 kills with the MLRS (which by the way I adore), and I constantly reload next to the ammo truck, so missles just keep on coming! However, I have used the M4 Scorcher a few times but it just doesn't seem to be cutting it for me despite the numerous shell types. I use the MLRS because of its 12 rockets that do insane carnage, but it seems to really only be effective on infantry units only, whereas the scorcher is more precision for direct heavy targets, with the exception of cluster rounds.

The only downside to the M4 is its reload time between shots. Without an ammo truck, I think the only downside to the MLRS is that people hate it because it can clear an objective way too fast (I haven't been criticized yet, so idk). While I can see an M4's uses, I just feel the MLRS is better all around due to my experiences, despite feeling kinda bad for clearing out almost all enemies before ground units even get there lol.

Arma community, which artillery gun is all-around more efficient and proficient in every role?

MLRS relies on good supplies. Without supplies, the M4 is probably more useful, and can provide support for a much longer period of time.

Well in RL ( also in Arma ) the Howitzers are more "efficient" as they can use different kind of projectiles, are more precise, etc. The problem is that you can only shoot one round at a time ( you can always have a group of them ).

While rocket systems like MLRS are good to deliver a huge amount of imprecise havoc at once. But they lack versatility.

I only would prefer the Scorcher because if it's range in ammo types (mine clusters anyone?) and ammo capacity. The Sandstorm easily wins at firepower, but also fires larger ordnance so that'd be why. If you go in Zeus and spawn 155mm and 230mm, the 155mm can't compare, seeing as the 155mm cracks a building and the 230mm takes down city blocks.

But since you ask for most well rounded, I'll go for the Scorcher and it's ammo types. It carries just about any ammo type you need, and enough of it to get the job done.

If you have Recon spotting and laser-marking enemy tanks you can use the M4 in its best way using guided HE shells. I like it more because of that precision.

I also personally prefer the Scorcher, mainly because our artillery base defenders always clear off somewhere, so the arty has to end up defending itself and with that top gun and the main gun, it can be a very formidable weapon.

I usually play OPFOR so it's always the M4's analog: the 2S9 Sochor. Well, until CSAT gets an MLRS. Or a Katyusha platform.

I also personally prefer the Scorcher, mainly because our artillery base defenders always clear off somewhere, so the arty has to end up defending itself and with that top gun and the main gun, it can be a very formidable weapon.

Lower the barrel and start using it as a direct fire weapon.

It's just crazy enough to work.

ever tried direct fire ? that might be fun when suddenly a tank commander gets whacked by a 155mm.

Edited by Clay_More

I can never seem to find any decent game modes with vehicles in arma 3. its almost all altis life.

Mortars for me as they're more accurate than the M4 any day. If they'd improve the accuracy for the M4 I'd be more prone to use it.

MLRS for the range. You're almost always way outside the range of any counter-battery fire and pretty much the whole of Altis is within your sphere of influence.

where do you use this stuff? its not in king of the hill or warfare... what game mode?

Some alterations of Invade and Annex include artillery pieces (most don't due to the power of the asset), and realism units with their custom, in-house made, operations usually include a spot or two for artillerymen, so look around for a group and join them so you can use all the artillery you would want in a realistic setting.

Edited by JShock

yeah i tried to join an 17 or older clan 3 days before i turned 17 and they never even responded, maybe ill join another

---------- Post added at 07:24 ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 ----------

but still, looking at the server list there is only a few that are not wasteland altis life or king of the hill that have more than 20 people, are clan servers not shown in the browser or something?

yeah i tried to join an 17 or older clan 3 days before i turned 17 and they never even responded, maybe ill join another

---------- Post added at 07:24 ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 ----------

but still, looking at the server list there is only a few that are not wasteland altis life or king of the hill that have more than 20 people, are clan servers not shown in the browser or something?

Check your PMs.