343rdBadger

Tanks...are you kidding me???

Its now 1.2.xx build and TANKS STILL WON'T BACK UP !!!...WTF BI???:mad:

Its now 1.2.xx build and TANKS STILL WON'T BACK UP !!!...WTF BI???:mad:

What?? :-D

What?? :-D

I think he means that they can't properly go backwards when they have an obstacle in front. It's a weird bug.

I think he is talking about AI drivers that will refuse to back up the tank if there is anything next to it or behind it.

OP is correct. If you're the commander of a tank, the AI driver is unable to back up when you issue a "reverse" order. It has been there since god knows when.

When in commander mode the "WASD" commands should be a direct input, maybe with a little (ms) delay with AI taking over only with waypoints or "Move to.." orders.

The OP has a point, unfortunately it's expressed in junevile internet speak, thus the need for other forum-members to translate.

Were you there for Arma2, where a single rock can flip a sixty ton tank? :936:

^ nope (well.. mostly no) but A2 had no physX

Didn't A2 also have this problem at the beginning? I seem to remember that

After living with Arma3's horrendous and clown like vehicle PhysX...for how long now??? I am really wanting my flippy tanks back. At least they looked and handled normal 90% of the time. I was really looking forward to Physx. But it looks like they don't have anyone with the skills to actually implement it properly. Almost every vehicle, wheeled or tracked, has some characteristic that makes you go "wtf was that?" and cringe.

I am trying to get a mate to switch from Arma2 to Arma3, and it is honestly embarrassing when I tell him how much better Arma3 is over Arma2. Then we take a ride in a vehicle and I feel like I have to apologise, as I find myself saying how "they'll fix it eventually".....every 10 minutes....about so many things in this game....

Edited by -=seany=-
  • Like 1

Like this?

BIS should just simplify the control scheme and let the Player drive the vehicle themselves from any crew position (as long as the vehicle has an AI driver). Do away with the clunky, unreliable and just outright annoying "remote command" type of control that generates more headache than it's worth.

Who doesn't already seat-swap constantly anyways because you can't rely on the AI to do the right thing?

At least I haven't seen this happen yet in Arma 3.

Arma 3's vehicles physics have their problems (any physics engine does) but I still consider them overall to be more realistic than Arma 2's. Tanks and other heavy vehicles have this weight to them that I really feel when driving them, which I never really had in Arma 2. I just felt slow in Arma 2.

This is so F***cking ridiculous.

Why cant BIS not let you drive the tank as if it was you in the driver seat? The AI messes up with the movement since OPF times and it doesnt even make sense.

When you want an AI to drive forward into a tree he should do it! But atm he decided to drive slowly back and forth left and right and eventually goes straight.

Its frustrating and unneccessary. The AI should perfom the actions you tell them to no matter what is in the way.

Only expection should be waypoints. But the forward, left, right commands should never be questioned by the AI!

Design flaws like this are at every corner of the game.

Its frustrating and unneccessary. The AI should perfom the actions you tell them to no matter what is in the way.

Only expection should be waypoints. But the forward, left, right commands should never be questioned by the AI

Yup, agree 100%, in fact it's weird that they try to add an unneeded AI.

In real life if the commander says forward, the driver goes forward. If backward, the driver drives backward. Nothing more, nothing less.

If there is an obstacle, the driver should keep going forward. As in real life were tanks/APC/IFV are used to ram stuff ( walls, trees, etc. ).

The funny thing is that at the only moment in which the driver AI is needed, when giving a location to go, is when the AI gets worst messed up, and drive against all the possible obstacles, if needed going out the road to get stuck into a house.

They should keep driving in the road the maximum possible time and only depart from it when approaching the final place if its outside of it.

Edited by MistyRonin
  • Like 1

Indeed, why does an AI driver with player commander not drive as if a player driver presses the direction keys?

When creating a waypoint by clicking on the map, the driver may use his brain. When ordered to drive forward or backward... holy shit just do it... regardless of the environment.

The second point that annoys me is the AI gunner of tanks. Why does he have to move the turret/cannon constantly and randomly around? Just keep the damn thing directed forward unless you are assigned a target, man!

I would agree with most of this.

I'm also not convinced the physics have helped the situation, they certainly aren't any where near correct. Drop a vehicle and it still isn't destroyed.

If you get in a tank even though the driver who may be AI has a waypoint assigned won't actually drive when the player is in the vehicle you have to drive and be the gunner.

It should be optional for the player to take are give up commanding. In A2 at least the AI drove and followed waypoints until you took over.

AI won't reverse in most cases if your giving orders as commander/gunner, in A2 AI would reverse.

The gun should have a lock position x,y,z to the vehicle, nothing worse than going down a street with the gun sticking out.

Yeah, AI driver is a real problem. You can't use a proper hull down tactics with it, as he just don't reverse fast enough.

Seriously, dev's should look in to this.

And perhaps they do this, some sort of Ground Vehicles DLC in near future? ;)

There is another point that although probably secondary than the proper following of orders and a good path tracking, but would be the possibility to fight while turned out.

In real life the commander of the tank spend most of the time with the head out, guiding the driver and the gunner, even during the battles. The only moment when they are all "button up" is when there is an explosion nearby ( being it primary or secondary explosions of a blown up vehicle ).

In fact it's precisely in close combat that the commander and usually also the loader use the outside MGs to fight the enemies that approach the vehicle ( being they on foot or in light vehicles ).

The problem is that in-game if the commander turns out, all the rest of the AI also do the same. There should be an action menu to order the crew to "button up", but the commander should be able to go outside with a designed key ( probably the same as for crouch ).

There is another point that although probably secondary than the proper following of orders and a good path tracking, but would be the possibility to fight while turned out.

In real life the commander of the tank spend most of the time with the head out, guiding the driver and the gunner, even during the battles. The only moment when they are all "button up" is when there is an explosion nearby ( being it primary or secondary explosions of a blown up vehicle ).

In fact it's precisely in close combat that the commander and usually also the loader use the outside MGs to fight the enemies that approach the vehicle ( being they on foot or in light vehicles ).

The problem is that in-game if the commander turns out, all the rest of the AI also do the same. There should be an action menu to order the crew to "button up", but the commander should be able to go outside with a designed key ( probably the same as for crouch ).

Yeah, I'm going to need some sources on that.

Yeah, I'm going to need some sources on that.

Ask any tank commander, read any tank commander biography or books about tank operations, for instance one of the trending topics these last years are the books and autobiographies about the Thunder Run that took Baghdad in '03.