Sign in to follow this  
zooloo75

Ragdoll'd

I'm pretty sure _o setObjectTexture [0,""]; works if you just want to hide the object.

Thanks, I'll test that out!

---------- Post added at 03:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 AM ----------

Thanks Kerc, it works!

Update: Ragdolling is more responsive; code improvements.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Thanks for sending us the latest version :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

tried the new version, and it's a lot better. ragdoll activates almost always (the times it doesn't seem to be linked to wounds to the legs or arms). very nice!

although, I wonder if you could get rid of the flying effect? it's a very good way of telling whether your target is dead or not: they only fly if the bullet didn't outright kill them. kind of breaks the immersion. it does look cool, though. when you hit them with a 9 mm, and they just take off, like in movies :D

The shadows on the invisible objects are a little annoying ... any solution to that ? For instance can an invisible helipad be given huge mass and use that ?

The shadows on the invisible objects are a little annoying ... any solution to that ? For instance can an invisible helipad be given huge mass and use that ?

The shadow is unavoidable. Perhaps a community member could make a model that just provides collision and doesn't cast a shadow. IIRC, the helipads are glued to the ground and also delete the grass under them.

The real issue is that this game has been out for over a year and we still don't have ragdoll commands despite the various community requests, tickets, and the point that ragdolling was one of the huge features of ArmA3; I'd expect them to take advantage of it more and let us use it directly.

Edited by zooloo75

The shadow is unavoidable. Perhaps a community member could make a model that just provides collision and doesn't cast a shadow. IIRC, the helipads are glued to the ground and also delete the grass under them.

The real issue is that this game has been out for over a year and we still don't have ragdoll commands despite the various community requests, tickets, and the point that ragdolling was one of the huge features of ArmA3; I'd expect them to take advantage of it more and let us use it directly.

tried the new version, and it's a lot better. ragdoll activates almost always (the times it doesn't seem to be linked to wounds to the legs or arms). very nice!

although, I wonder if you could get rid of the flying effect? it's a very good way of telling whether your target is dead or not: they only fly if the bullet didn't outright kill them. kind of breaks the immersion. it does look cool, though. when you hit them with a 9 mm, and they just take off, like in movies :D

Unfortunately they fly away due to the large mass and high velocity of the object required to trigger the effect. My ragdolling isn't perfect, and without proper ragdoll support, it never will be.

Unfortunately they fly away due to the large mass and high velocity of the object required to trigger the effect. My ragdolling isn't perfect, and without proper ragdoll support, it never will be.

Could you use different objects or velocities, or maybe allow us to fiddle with parameters via a mod config?

Also it seems like the impact vector of the mass is not calculated correctly? When I shoot units running from left to right they seem to receive a big kick in their back and fly away in the direction of their movement, not of the bullet.

I'm a dedicated fan of tpw_fall, and now I enjoy to see the progress you are making here. I hope to see the perfect fall and ragdolling soon :-)

Holy crap i love you!

I was just thinking that this should be a thing!

:D

I haven't used the mod yet, but, something like

_object [url="https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/hideObjectGlobal"]hideObjectGlobal[/url] true

ought to solve the invisible shadow issues your having, though I don't recall if hidden objects still collide and all that.

I haven't used the mod yet, but, something like
_object [url="https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/hideObjectGlobal"]hideObjectGlobal[/url] true

ought to solve the invisible shadow issues your having, though I don't recall if hidden objects still collide and all that.

Hidden objects have no collision.

the shadow is barely noticeable anyway. the biggest problem is the way they fly on impact, direction of their flight seems to be random. but I understand there's no way around that, and that's still better than what BIS has made

the shadow is barely noticeable anyway. the biggest problem is the way they fly on impact, direction of their flight seems to be random. but I understand there's no way around that, and that's still better than what BIS has made

Indeed, but I will further investigate a solution to this issue later through tge week.

Also it seems like the impact vector of the mass is not calculated correctly? When I shoot units running from left to right they seem to receive a big kick in their back and fly away in the direction of their movement, not of the bullet.

Yup. Main reason i'm not using this mod anymore.

Don't get me wrong : i do appreciate what you're doing, even more when you know the limitations of this game. Thanks for it.

@zooloo75

Thanks for sharing the addon. :)

Some observations:

1) Ragdoll effect seems to be more evident when units are shot either on their sides or their back compared to being shot at on front. Could it be due to the fact that my infantry targets where static? Refer to video below.

2) Also from the video demonstration below, there were 3 separate instances where I threw a grenade and each time there's this very luck dude who would survive the blast. Is it related to the fact that I am using an old version of CBA with the latest Arma 3 main branch version or totally unrelated to the ragdoll effect?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0xwCQy1F6U

I did some playing around with this mod and I got the ragdolls behaving a bit better. They now fly back in the right direction and don't fly back as much (usually only just falling in place)

z75_RagdollEffect =
{
private ["_unit", "_dir", "_unitPos", "_force", "_o", "_projPos"];

_unit = _this select 0;
   _dir = _this select 1;
_projPos = _this select 2;

_unitPos = position _unit;
   _force = 250;

_unit allowDamage false; 

_o = "Steel_Plate_L_F" createVehicleLocal [0,0,0];
_o setObjectTexture [0,""];
_o setMass _force;
_o setDir _dir;
_o setPos [(_unitPos select 0) + sin(_dir + 180), (_unitPos select 1) + cos(_dir + 180), ((((boundingBox _unit) select 1) select 2) / 2) - ((_projPos select 2) / 100)]; 
_o setVelocity [(sin(_dir)) * 5, (cos(_dir)) * 5, 0]; 

sleep 0.5;

deleteVehicle _o;
_unit allowDamage true; 
};

z75_IsBullet =
{
private ["_projType", "_strArr", "_isBullet"];

_projType = _this;
_strArr = toArray _this;
_isBullet = false;

if(count _strArr > 0) then
{
	if(_strArr select 0 == 98 || _strArr select 0 == 66) then
	{
		_isBullet = true;
	};
};

_isBullet
};

z75_HitPartHandling =
{
private ["_data", "_unit", "_shooter", "_projDir", "_projPos"];

_data = _this select 0;
   _unit = _data select 0;
_shooter = _data select 1;
_bullet = _data select 2;
_projPos = _data select 3;
_vdir = _data select 7;

if(alive _unit) then
{	
	if((typeOf(_data select 2)) call z75_IsBullet) then
	{

_projDir = direction _bullet;

}
	else
	{

_projDir = direction _bullet;

};

if(_unit == player) then
	{
		addCamShake [3, 5, 5 + random 10];
	};

[_unit, _projDir, _projPos] spawn z75_RagdollEffect;
};
};

seems just as reliable as the current version but shooting in the arm is a bit iffy, might need to adjust the object placement

Yup. Main reason i'm not using this mod anymore.

Don't get me wrong : i do appreciate what you're doing, even more when you know the limitations of this game. Thanks for it.

The bullet really doesn't do that big impact that you change direction. I think it's better this way. But it really depends how "realistic" the author wants to be with this.

All in all if ragdoll don't work because reasons he could always use the non-ragdoll fall, just like twp_fall did. In all honesty it looks really good, especially when YOU get shot.

The main issue causing the ugly ragdoll is when the hitPart EH doesn't return a projectile. I'll need to look into that later.

Also I do want to have the ragdolling behave realistically, but it is much more complicated than it needs to be due to the lack of ragdoll scripting commands. I suggest voting on a ticket or petitioning BIS to add them if you appreciate the concept of this mod.

How about a blur in or out or both when getting knocked down, nice feature that is.

How about a blur in or out or both when getting knocked down, nice feature that is.

Sure, if more people react positively to this on the thread, I'll add it.

zooloo75, thank you very much sir for this wonderful mod. Ever since Arma 3 was announced years ago I was really looking forward to the ragdoll physics, you have really made an enormous improvement, I spent the past 2 days experimenting with your mod and it's outstanding.