Sign in to follow this  
Rydygier

Copyrights again (quotations, fonts, overall)

Asked same via MANW support e-mail 12 days ago, but haven't received any reply so far, thus I'm trying here, anyway this may be interesting for the others too:

I do not know law matters, and was never sure, copyright law of which country is valid as for given internet activity, and same doubt applies to the MANW contest.

I know, so entries breaking copyright law will be disqualified. But copyright law of which exactly country will be used/appriopriate to judge, what actually is a copyright violation in the MANW contest? Because I doubt, if all countries have exactly same rules here. Or there is applied some international agreement law?

I have also more specific questions:

- is forbidden to use in any context quotations from classic literature (eg Homer, Shakespeare etc) or phrases from song lyrics? It is also about the translations, as subject of copyright, I guess (eg Homer's ancient Greek translated by someone to English)?

- Fonts are also subject of copyright, isn't? So if I'll make eg. in-game logo graphic for the entry using any of known/available font (eg Times New Roman), that will mean disqualification, right? If so, I suppose, only font families used by Arma 3 itself (those present in the config) or created by/permitted for me personally I can use?

Edited by Rydygier

I'm sure that quotes (as long as they are clearly indicated as such and the original author is acknowledged won't be a problem, so "Blah blah"-Shakespeare is almost certainly not breaking copyright.

As for fonts I don't know, probably best to stick to ARMA 3 fonts until there is further clarification.

I'm sure that quotes (as long as they are clearly indicated as such and the original author is acknowledged won't be a problem, so "Blah blah"-Shakespeare is almost certainly not breaking copyright.

Indicating original author or even the fact of quoting is not always possible. Eg it will spoil whole thing, when quotation is part of some trivial conversation between two characters or if some character is just singing some song...

Edited by Rydygier

Asked same via MANW support e-mail 12 days ago, but haven't received any reply so far, thus I'm trying here, anyway this may be interesting for the others too:

I do not know law matters, and was never sure, copyright law of which country is valid as for given internet activity, and same doubt applies to the MANW contest.

I know, so entries breaking copyright law will be disqualified. But copyright law of which exactly country will be used/appriopriate to judge, what actually is a copyright violation in the MANW contest? Because I doubt, if all countries have exactly same rules here. Or there is applied some international agreement law?

- is forbidden to use in any context quotations from classic literature (eg Homer, Shakespeare etc) or phrases from song lyrics? It is also about the translations, as subject of copyright, I guess (eg Homer's ancient Greek translated by someone to English)?

- Fonts are also subject of copyright, isn't? So if I'll make eg. in-game logo graphic for the entry using any of known/available font (eg Times New Roman), that will mean disqualification, right? If so, I suppose, only font families used by Arma 3 itself (those present in the config) or created by/permitted for me personally I can use?

Hi Rydygier, sorry for the delay in our reply. We've received your e-mail and send it by our legal staff to see if they can provide some additional insights. I hope to send you an answer to your questions today or tomorrow. Apologies!

Oh, not a problem. Didn't know, how long it may take, so tried also here just in case e-mail was missed, lost or anything. Thanks for the info. :)

Edited by Rydygier

Hi, Rydygier - I think I can help on a few of your copyright issues.

First off - song lyrics - avoid them like the plague! You should be fine quoting from most literary sources - certainly Homer (a great choice)! If it's over 100 years old, it should be fine.

---------- Post added at 14:56 ---------- Previous post was at 14:53 ----------

Oh, and in regards to translation, don't panic too much. I can translate the classics if you like (Latin, Greek) - I'd love to! But I think it'd be hard (and a little crazy) to try and enforce copyright on a translated text - I'm not sure it stands. But don't quote me on that. Hope that's of some help. If I've said anything that's erroneous - please - someone correct me! :p

Would be interesting to know about the fonts. I've used public domain / native windows fonts for my logo. Will that become a problem?

as long as you are using fonts you own (via OS license for things that comes with the installed OS or 3rdy party font families and their licenses - some are free as well as commercial valid) there should be no problem.

Ie: using arial (microsoft take on helvetica) or times new roman etc etc is surely legit.

Thanks a lot guys, it is helpful. Still, let's wait for the conclusion of those, who will actually judge, what to disqualify and why.

Hi Rydygier, just so it's visible to everyone, I'll also post the reply we sent to you here as well:

Firstly, as is written in the contest rules, the Contest is announced and governed by the laws of the Czech Republic, namely but not limited to the provisions of Sections 847 – 849 of the Act N°40/1964 Coll., Civil Code as amended, as well as by other provisions of relevant legislation. However, on top of that, please note that your entry will also need to comply with the legislation of your country of residence.

Quotations of classics is fine, but you will generally want to avoid music lyrics due to copyright. Generally, though, everything which falls under Fair Use should be okay. With regards to fonts, these come with all sorts of licenses. If it's a common font which comes installed with your OS, there's no need to worry. If it's a licensed font which you need to buy, the usage will depend on its particular license.

So, quotations from classic literature are OK, and translation of them as supposed subject of copyright isn't an issue. Song lyrics should be avoided. Fonts, I have installed with my OS may be used without concern. As for any other possible specifics, I need to met both, Czech and Polish copyright law.

Thanks, Korneel. That makes things clear to me.

I'm planning on putting together a copyright listing, with sources and permission details - could be a good way of ensuring there's no confusion? Might also let others know you've taken copyright into account :)

Edited by Kydoimos

If there will be some copyright issues will BI give a chance to fix these issues? It would be pity if somebody will be disqualified because of copyrighted image.

So, quotations from classic literature are OK, and translation of them as supposed subject of copyright isn't an issue. Song lyrics should be avoided. Fonts, I have installed with my OS may be used without concern. As for any other possible specifics, I need to met both, Czech and Polish copyright law.

Thanks, Korneel. That makes things clear to me.

In practically all the ( democratic ) world is possible to divulge classic literature as they are more than certain years old ( 40 years in some countries, 50 and 100 in others ).

Basically you could copy paste Shakespeare's Hamlet entirely as long as you do with the classic text not a modern adaptation.

Sign in to follow this