Sign in to follow this  
Kep Kelagin

Tank driving in resistance.

Hiya,

I think that its harder to  brake with tanks, or any vehicle with tracks in Resistance then it was with the original game.. Especially braking on hills ( in the multiplayer CTF 12 player game on Nogova, the mission near the bridge is where I noticed the brakin difference ) takes a big distance to come to a full stop , while this shouldnt be to hard with tracks... its like driving on ice to me ...

I think that stopping 60 tons of moving steel requires some effort wink.gif

Well, I am not sure though, but it looks to me that tanks should have the ability to brake very hard, on come to a full stop within a short distance ( I think I have seen once on the Discovery Channel tounge.gif ) , especially with all the grip they have with tracks.. Does anyone know a good site with info about tanks ?

Thx.

They can stop on a short distance if they are going horizontally. Going down hills is a different matter - no tracks in the world can help you when you have the gravity pulling in the direction of the tank's movement.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kep Kelagin @ July 07 2002,21:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, I am not sure though, but it looks to me that tanks should have the ability to brake very hard, on come to a full stop within a short distance ( I think I  have seen once on the Discovery Channel  tounge.gif  ) , especially with all the grip they have with tracks.. Does anyone know a good site with info about tanks ?

Thx.<span id='postcolor'>

Depends what you call a short distance. If a 55 tonne tank and a 55 tonne truck both statrted braking at the same time, I don't doubt that the tank would stop first.

Distance travelled, however...

do they have more power in this one? because in OFP they are just to damn weak, especially going up hills, ive seen tanks go up hills like it with out all the trouble that they have in OFP

Going totally OT for a moment, just wondering why you changed your name Kip/Kep. smile.gif

Is it really worse in Resistance? So far I thought it was better.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 08 2002,12:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They can stop on a short distance if they are going horizontally. Going down hills is a different matter - no tracks in the world can help you when you have the gravity pulling in the direction of the tank's movement.<span id='postcolor'>

But the tracks do help, and you can stop reasonably well, it depends on the slope and speed.

To set any of this straight u need to find a real braking equation-set for a tank, and compare to OFP. speed vs time @ surface & slope

And derive a few numbers.

Or you can get into a real tank and do a test at a certain slope (good luck), then u need to consider the azimuth of tank vs slope.... etc etc

It's quite complicated physics.

Looking at 1.46 and how the tanks stopped, to me, obviously too long!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What I can

verify is that standing on the brakes from top speed will practically

make the Abrams stand on its nose. Although we didn't do instrumented

testing, a rough estimate of the stopping distance from 45 mph is

zero feet. It feels like falling headfirst into a sinkhole.<span id='postcolor'>

From - http://216.239.39.100/search?....e=UTF-8

thats one of the major problems i have with resistance. i really hoped that bis would have done something about this.

brakeDistance=15; // vehicle movement precision

from the ofp config, this is for all wanks moving at max speed im guessing, so ingame it takes 15 metres, unless of course it bounces where it probably starts again

oh and they havent changed anything about it with resistance...must be with the actual engine or something as its not in the res config

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Eviscerator @ July 09 2002,14:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">brakeDistance=15; // vehicle movement precision

from the ofp config, this is for all wanks moving at max speed im guessing, so ingame it takes 15 metres, unless of course it bounces where it probably starts again<span id='postcolor'>

Well, I do know thats its a lot more then 15 meters, and if it is 15 meters, its way too much ... check the post that MarcusJClifford posted; he found a site with info about braking an M1A1 Abrams ;" braking almost in zero feet with a speed of 45 Mph. "

And I think that brakin on a steep hill won't take that much more distance , at least not 30-50 meters, as in Resistance happens...

It's most frustrating you are completely out of control while the AI seem to be ok. Especially the ones firing at you.

Well the main thing is not to get out of control in the first place. If you go down hills slowly then you won't have an issue. Once you start moving 100kph down a steep hill, though, you're going to have problems braking.

Just keep the brakes on while you're going down a hill and it'll work just fine without flying out of control.

The British Warrior can stop within its own length which did cause several road accidents in Germany becuase vehicles were traveling too closebehind and impacted under the tank which then settles back on its suspension crushing the car. Signs are now fitted on the rear of all warriors in Geramny.

I would imagine that most tanks have similar stopping distances.

Yep, this topic exists since the very beginning of FlashPoint last year. A tank should stop very quickly whatever its speed and going down a hill or not. Cinetic of this vehicle is good on flat surface, otherwise it is mostly wrong.

Even a simple M60 would go up a hill a lot much faster than it does in the game. It is too bad this bug has not been fixed yet, but I guess it is quite some work.

However, I truly enjoy using this steel beasts, knowing that I have to avoid hills while in the middle of combat ... confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 08 2002,18:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They can stop on a short distance if they are going horizontally. Going down hills is a different matter - no tracks in the world can help you when you have the gravity pulling in the direction of the tank's movement.<span id='postcolor'>

Most modern tanks can hold on a 60 degree incline.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (madmike @ July 09 2002,19:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The British Warrior can stop within its own length which did cause several road accidents in Germany becuase vehicles were traveling too closebehind and impacted under the tank which then settles back on its suspension crushing the car. Signs are now fitted on the rear of all warriors in Geramny.

I would imagine that most tanks have similar stopping distances.<span id='postcolor'>

Warrior? Not Challenger?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KaRRiLLioN @ July 09 2002,19:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well the main thing is not to get out of control in the first place.  If you go down hills slowly then you won't have an issue.  Once you start moving 100kph down a steep hill, though, you're going to have problems braking.

Just keep the brakes on while you're going down a hill and it'll work just fine without flying out of control.<span id='postcolor'>

Easy to say, but when you do this the tank just speeds up however much you hold the brake, its like a rollercoaster, without the rails, a wind sail would be more effective at stopping it.

Yup, and going down a hill slowly, will only make u a sitting duck for the enemy wink.gif U sometimes need to be able to go down a hill fast, come to a full stop in a few yards, shoot, and move again, to be sure u won't be spotted that easy...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Paratrooper @ July 11 2002,16:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (madmike @ July 09 2002,19:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The British Warrior can stop within its own length which did cause several road accidents in Germany becuase vehicles were traveling too closebehind and impacted under the tank which then settles back on its suspension crushing the car. Signs are now fitted on the rear of all warriors in Geramny.

I would imagine that most tanks have similar stopping distances.<span id='postcolor'>

Warrior? Not Challenger?<span id='postcolor'>

no its warrior, Ive got a pic of one getting its breaks tested.

The front sprokets are inches away from the ground and the 3 last roadwheels are off the ground