laxemann

LAxemann's "Climb" - Enables basic climbing in ArmA 3

There is a vault mod already out there. I can't remember the name of it, but I have it buried in my @alwaysuse modfolder. When running (and with enough stamina) V makes you do a running jump/vault.

Very neat addition, but I suggest one thing:

Create a custom animation for climbing.

Holstering your weapon, climbing and then unholster it takes a ton of time.

The vaulting mod is Dynamic movement Gole/ Das Attorney. I tried this yesterday mapped to the same key as L_Climb. I found that both Climb (double tap) and Vault (tap v when running) worked well together but I could no longer do the traditional scissor kick step over. I could climb up on to Hesco's and drop down with Dynamic's descend feature quite nicely. But I would imagine they'd work best together when mapped separate?

ps I actually find the first version of dynamic movement worked more freely. See thread

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?173138-Dynamic-Movement-Descend-in-Style

ps another very usefull mod LAxemann

Thanks again

Edited by taumargin

@Vault addon, there is one from ProGamer and I think it's very neat, should work just fine with Climb. :) Download.

I honestly don't see the need to implement a feature that many other mods already implemented.

Very neat addition, but I suggest one thing:

Create a custom animation for climbing.

Holstering your weapon, climbing and then unholster it takes a ton of time.

Unfortunately, I have no idea of animating stuff and I never even touched 3d modeling software. That said, I tend to have too many hobbies and adding another one might blow up my head.

So, if there's anyone who is able to do new nice climbing animations, go ahead. I'd need different animations for each selected weapon + different ones for at least two heights (above belly/below belly).

Also, a friend of mine who's working on CMS might get a chance to do stuff in a mocap studio but that's future stuff.

And as for the time it takes: Even though it isn't pretty, I really like the time it takes at the moment.

Thanks a tons dude! :)

I had a look and I couldn't replicate the issue..I turned off the double tap work around first and tried it but combat pace toggle (and the 'hold' version) all worked without issue

For reference this was my modified keyhandle.sqf

private "_climbhandled";					

_key = _this select 0;		// The displayeventhandler hands over the pressed key		
_shift = _this select 1;						
_climbhandled = false;		// "handled" is used to tell the handler if everything was handled. We set it to false first

if ((_key == L_Climb_Key) && (_shift)) then
{
_climbhandled = true;				// It was the right key so it's "handled"
L_canClimb = false;			// ... so we disable the climbing while it ...
[] spawn L_fnc_climb_main;		// ... executes the main function
};

_climbhandled;			// Returns the bool to the displayeventhandler

I had a look and I couldn't replicate the issue..I turned off the double tap work around first and tried it but combat pace toggle (and the 'hold' version) all worked without issue

For reference this was my modified keyhandle.sqf

private "_climbhandled";					

_shift = _this select 1;						
_climbhandled = false;		// "handled" is used to tell the handler if everything was handled. We set it to false first

if ((_key == L_Climb_Key) && (_shift)) then
{
_climbhandled = true;				// It was the right key so it's "handled"
};

_climbhandled;			// Returns the bool to the displayeventhandler

Haha, the workaround wasn't the double tap but having to press shift :D

Try removing && (_shift) and it shouldn't work anymore :/

Haha, the workaround wasn't the double tap but having to press shift :D

Try removing && (_shift) and it shouldn't work anymore :/

Ohh I've been looking for the wrong problem haha. Well that makes the issue more obvious. This works:

keyhandle.sqf

private "_climbhandled";					

_shift = _this select 1;						

if ((_key == L_Climb_Key)) then
{
[] call L_fnc_climb_inputcheck;
}
else
{
false
};

inputcheck.sqf

if (isNull player) exitwith {};			// Don't do stuff in case the player isn't "there"
if ((vehicle player) != player) exitWith {};	// Also don't do stuff if the player is inside a vehicle
if (!(L_canClimb)) exitWith {};			// _Also_ don't do stuff if the player is currently climbing

// The next part might be hard to understand; We want the button to be pressed twice
// so we ...

L_climbThreshold = L_climbThreshold + 1;	// ... increase the variable by one

if (L_climbThreshold == 2) then			// If the variable is two the button has been pressed twice already...
{
L_climbThreshold = 0;			// Oh, and the threshold variable is set to 0 again
true;
}
else						// If the button was only pressed once so far...
{
[] spawn {
	sleep 0.3;				// Wait 0.3 seconds, giving the player enough time to double-tap
	if (L_canClimb && L_climbThreshold > 0) then		
	{
		L_climbThreshold = L_climbThreshold - 1;
	};
};
false;
};

Only issue is that the first tap will always use in engine execution but I don't think there's a way around that

Just tried it...

DUDE! That's awesome! Thank you so much! :)

So, the problem was that I didn't return anything in the inputcheck? Or did I get something wrong here?

Anyway, thank you mate!

Will be updated in the next version, hopefully with the new features. :)

The problem with other "vault over" mods is that it can't be mapped to the same key as the "step over" command. But if it's not your thing . . . no biggie.

Just tried it...

DUDE! That's awesome! Thank you so much! :)

So, the problem was that I didn't return anything in the inputcheck? Or did I get something wrong here?

Anyway, thank you mate!

Will be updated in the next version, hopefully with the new features. :)

Kinda, the main issue was _climbhandled was always returning true whenever the key was pushed and didn't account for the fact that it was pushed twice so I moved the bool to input check and made it so it only returned true on a double tap

Kinda, the main issue was _climbhandled was always returning true whenever the key was pushed and didn't account for the fact that it was pushed twice so I moved the bool to input check and made it so it only returned true on a double tap

Ohh, I get it - thanks for the explanation! :)

Would you consider adding some kind of grappling hook feature to this in the future that enables climbing to higher rooftops?

Would you consider adding some kind of grappling hook feature to this in the future that enables climbing to higher rooftops?

Not planned since very complex, but I'm currently implementing a feature to push another player up so he can reach higher places. The then can help you up and tada, you're good :)

Alright, there we go, a first MP test of helping eachother out!

I think I might be in love.

If you are familiar with the buildings used on ArmA 2 maps and could make sure that this new buddy feature works well with the typical single story building heights that would be awesome.

The group I play with has a tide mod and the ability to get on top of buildings to be picked up by a helicopter in a flood would be invaluable.

Edited by James_Manring

I think I might be in love.

If you are familiar with the buildings used on ArmA 2 maps and could make sure that this new buddy feature works well with the typical single story building heights that would be awesome.

The group I play with has a tide mod and the ability to get on top of buildings to be picked up by a helicopter in a flood would be invaluable.

Hey mate, the 1 storey buildings in e.g. Agia Marina have a height of around 5-6meters, that's a bit high. :P

The maximum height you'll be able to push/pull someone up will be around 3-3.4m, which already is pretty damn high.

Finally got the vid to work so I could see it. Super slick, man. Far out!

After some more work I can proudly update my roadmap:

• First release with basic functionality (Yup)

• Add the possibility to push another player on top of higher places (Awwwyeaaah)

• Add the possibility to pull another player on top of higher places (Oh yes, it freakin works!)

I'll look into it again tomorrow and if everyhting goes well, you'll get the new version within the next two days!

Here's another video showing off both features during MP testing:

The cool thing: You don't need any more keys, everything is completely context sensitive.

There are three options:

• Double-tapping the climb button when having an obstacle to climb on/over in front of you results in climbing over it

• Double-tapping the climb button while looking at another player while you're on a higher position than him will send him an offer to get pulled up

• Double-tapping the climb button while looking at another player while you're on ~ the same height as him will send him an offer to push him up the ledge behind you (if there is one).

I hope some of you are looking forward to it! :)

LAxe

Anyone finding a conflict with MCC? I seem to get a error about /ladders not being in scope or something.

Anyone finding a conflict with MCC? I seem to get a error about /ladders not being in scope or something.

I have this error too and "init player" hint... are those a conflict with MCC? Anyway, its just a pop up error, doesn´t cause issues with saved games (NLSG issue) nor disables one or the other, but it would be good to get rid of error messages of course!

I just started it together with MCC and got no errors at all, so if there was a conflict (can't imagine tho :P) it's most likely "fixed" in the new upcoming version. :)

Edited by LAxemann

Now, if you can just make it's companion add-on: Throw! (So I can throw my rocket launcher over the wall, and then climb over. Hahaha.)

Should be done, just gotta test in in MP :)

Hey mate, the 1 storey buildings in e.g. Agia Marina have a height of around 5-6meters, that's a bit high. :P

The maximum height you'll be able to push/pull someone up will be around 3-3.4m, which already is pretty damn high.

That is why I mentioned ArmA 2 Buildings. There are many ArmA2 maps that are able to be used on ArmA3 with A3MP or All-in-Arma. Many of the village buildings for the middle east or africa, especially community made ones, are much lower in height and logically could use a buddy system to put men on the roof. I think they will be within the 3-3.4m range but wanted to make sure you had considered those in your testing.