Sign in to follow this  
sgtsev3n

Arma 3 and RV&Enforce engine

hello,

as most of you know, BI plans to combine the RV and Enforce engines into one and will use the advanced engine for future games.

now my question: is there a possibility that we will see the advanced engine in arma 3 in the next few years ?

i doubt that we will see arma 4 (which is not even confirmed) in the next 5 years.

Yeah, Dayz the game intends to use this. Arma 3, well... idk about that, what does that Engine have this one doesn't? Dayz is like... Arma 2.5, so it makes sense for them to upgrade.

Infusion is being specifically designed for DayZ's purposes. It's not really inherently "better" overall, it's specifically designed to do things differently than an engine designed for Arma would (except for a few things, like a decoupled renderer, possibly better netcode, etc). Will Arma 4 start with Infusion as a base, and change through development it to suit Arma's purposes? I guess it depends on how Infusion ends up after DayZ is released. Will we see drastic engine changes in Arma 3? Not likely.

Infusion is being specifically designed for DayZ's purposes. It's not really inherently "better" overall, it's specifically designed to do things differently than an engine designed for Arma would (except for a few things, like a decoupled renderer, possibly better netcode, etc). Will Arma 4 start with Infusion as a base, and change through development it to suit Arma's purposes? I guess it depends on how Infusion ends up after DayZ is released. Will we see drastic engine changes in Arma 3? Not likely.

You have a point. There's too much in the game to make durastic changes now. Maybe. We all know mods can pull off drastic changes. But besides that, Arma 3 is at a stage where its border line too late to make serious changes. Arma 4? Well, to cut it short, after DayZ, im certain Infusion isn't going to become some kind of next gen engine. It may be slightly improved over the RV4 for Arma 3, but other than that, i honestly don't believe it should be used for Arma 4 unless it provides for some greatly new, and improved features as an Engine. For example, there are games out there that have maps, somewhat larger than Altis, and there is not View Distance issue, and no lag. If Arma could improve to the point where view distance is essentially gone as a restriction with no lag, or little to none, than that would be a miracle. It would look realistic. Now add a great map, and better weather enhancements, along with the realistic ballistics Arma has and what not. Imagine.

DayZ designer Dean “Rocket†Hall told a Reddit reporter that Infusion will “allow us to do DirectX 10 and 11.†He also mentioned, “It is going to allow us to do dynamic lighting, which means no more flashlights going through walls, proper dynamic shadows, [and] stuff like that. So it really kind of opens a lot of possibilities for us, and I think it is going to allow us to deal will a lot of those issues.†source

sounds like a lot of graphic related things. how is that dayZ SA specific?!

Because they decided to make it a focus as people use flashlights at night in DayZ more often than anyone uses lights what so ever at night in Arma 3, unless you have no choice. In other words, no NVG's, than turn on the car lights and risk being spotted, or turn up gamma/brightness. I mean it would be realistic if people had to use their flashlights and vehicle lights in place of completely removing the Lightning and Gamma. Or maybe have the lighting and gamma set so that it cant go above a specific amount. Then, fix the lighting, and we solved two problems.

Something offical please, before this get out of hand.

Thank you.

DayZ designer Dean “Rocket†Hall told a Reddit reporter that Infusion will “allow us to do DirectX 10 and 11.†He also mentioned, “It is going to allow us to do dynamic lighting, which means no more flashlights going through walls, proper dynamic shadows, [and] stuff like that. So it really kind of opens a lot of possibilities for us, and I think it is going to allow us to deal will a lot of those issues.†source

I didn't say everything they enhanced was DayZ specific. I literally mentioned the renderer as one of the exceptions.

But the point about design goals still stands. In Arma 3, the devs did not deem dynamic shadows as important enough to the game to warrant the extra work/performance. They didn't think it was important in DayZ either until it became one of the biggest complaints through alpha. I never saw a remotely comparable amount of complaints for this issue in Arma 3. But like I said, decoupling the renderer is an improvement for either game.

listen to yourself guys. talking about industry standard (not high end) graphics features like it's gameplay design...only on the arma forums. it's time to move. frikkin update DX. stop half assing. that's all i'm saying.

I'm not a developer. I'm explaining the likely thought-process (based on what Dean Hall has said) of BIS. This isn't about my opinion. I'm not even defending BIS here. Obviously I want dynamic shadows as much as the next guy.

It is not Infusion, but Enfusion.

Also at this moment, any discussions about Enfusion are premature.

It's nice that you lend him your engine and all but really, Dean Hall is just a modder; he was lucky you even licensed him the ability to use your engine and script away. Just like how Epic Games sometimes gives people license to use their Unreal Engine, mod it with the tools they provide, and noting a popular mod can sometimes becomes a new game like Killing Floor, DayZ was able to use the old RV engine and you've already moved on, but you shouldn't be forced or have to upgrade his stuff to use D3D10 or use the Arma3 enhancements. And don't you remember when DayZ Standalone's source code was leaked? ... Just shows this guy's lack of experience. DayZ was great and all, but it was like 75% ArmaII with the whole scope of the world and everything. The rest of DayZ was just zombies and mods (which already existed) all stuffed into a single mod. I think if Dean Hall wants Dynamic Shadows he should try to make a mod on Arma3 and see if it has the same success as his standalone one. Not trying to be pessimistic, or draw too much criticism, but I've always felt like that guy is just a pawn and he uses BI's engine as if it's his own. He promised many changes on DayZ SA, but he only knows scripting, so there's still hackers and everything is essentially exactly the same in terms of being the Take on Helicopters (Arma 2.5?) engine with some re-written scripts to add in the things like the food, water, zombies, weapons, etc.. That's why I'm glad. I found DayZ to be boring, you shouldn't have to help taht guy, he's already recieved your full source code for Arma 2.5 which has a good inventory system, clothing, etc.. and all the optimizations you made already on your new engine aren't his to just be 'upgraded to'. If anything, force him to give you a lot of the money he makes if you update his DayZ Standalone game. Just my opinion.

My eyes are bleeding .... wall of text!

Also full of factual inaccuracies and mostly off topic. The subject of this thread is BI's new engine, not Dean Hall or DayZ.

That being said, I wouldn't expect the devs to officially confirm or deny anything regarding their Enfusion engine at this point, let alone the (incredibly unlikely) possibility of switching engines in ARMA3 so long after release. Almost nothing is known about the new new engine right now, so any discussion would be entirely based on speculation and wishful thinking and would have very little to do with ARMA3.

If the devs do announce anything about Enfusion related to ARMA3, we can certainly revisit this topic. Until then: thread closed.