Sign in to follow this  
meshcarver

For buildings best to include assets or keep them separate?

Hi guys,

for when making a factory building say, is it best to include things in the model/texture like machinery boxes, free standing junction boxes etc (In this case every building would have the same objects inside every time), or make them as separate placeable assets for more variation?

Could this separate method cause problems, and are little objects like 2 meter tall junction boxes, say, easy to place inside buildings when map making? Even thing like hanging fluorescent lights etc? Little decorative pieces in general.

I'm trying to work out which is more effective/efficient in terms of section count/performance/AI pathing/ variation etc...

Cheers,

Marc

Edited by meshcarver

As long as I understood, you want to make little accessory into the buildings right?

If you want to use the same thing (generators, containers etc.) you should make them as an proxy.

Yes best to place them as proxies. Keeps the face count down and on further distance lods they are easily removed.

Proxy is the way to go, what a pain in the ass having to place lights in the editor would be

I can recommend proxy also, but keep in mind, that in geometry lod, there should be component, because proxy is non-functional in geometry lod.

Hi guys,

Sorry for not answering for awhile, been really busy... :(

Ok, is there a really good tutorial on proxies anywhere that's worth checking out?

And also, say I have a building using a multimat with 3 out of the 4 texture slots used. Then for say a large machine in the centre of the room (proxy object) would that machines texture best be the number 4 texture from the multimat or would it be a completely separate texture/mat combination entirely?

I would assume it's best to keep it separate so I can place as many where ever I want across the level- but building geolods in the relevant places of those buildings where I choose to put the proxies.

I hope that's clearly explained..!

redstone- do you mean if I create a geolod in my proxy object it won't work? Units will still be able to walk through it?

I can recommend proxy also, but keep in mind, that in geometry lod, there should be component, because proxy is non-functional in geometry lod.

Is it just geometry LOD, or are there other LOD's that are not functional for proxies? Fire Geometry for example? What about Geo PhysX LOD?

Is it just geometry LOD, or are there other LOD's that are not functional for proxies? Fire Geometry for example? What about Geo PhysX LOD?

Fire and view geometry should work, but with physX geometry it's also better to use components in "main" model.

Ok, is there a really good tutorial on proxies anywhere that's worth checking out?

And also, say I have a building using a multimat with 3 out of the 4 texture slots used. Then for say a large machine in the centre of the room (proxy object) would that machines texture best be the number 4 texture from the multimat or would it be a completely separate texture/mat combination entirely?

About a machine you have there. For metal materials it's better to use only the supershader material, because in multimaterial is only one setting for specular and no environment map definiton.

redstone- do you mean if I create a geolod in my proxy object it won't work? Units will still be able to walk through it?

You have to differ AI and players. Players colliding with geometries in "main" model, so the in geometry you can just extract proxy in this lod and find components to re-numbered the new one.

AI don't collide with geometries. AI in building use the path lod, which defines some "track", what they use for going on it.