Sign in to follow this  
Wanderzz

HE round kill radius

Anyone else notice how the 20-35mm HE rounds from armor don't seem to do any damage on AI unless you hit them directly with the round or right at their feet? Is this accurate?

I feel like it's not accurate, because shrapnel. AFAIK, Arma lacks shrapnel simulation.

Agreed, the lack of proper damage for cannon HE rounds is frustrating and ridiculous.

Also, is this Ultaz? Because this post was posted at almost the exact same time I was flying a Blackfoot with Ultaz and he was complaining about the crap damage that the He rounds have... xD

But anyways, I think a change has to be made. Even if there is no shrapnel simulation, there should at least be a lethal kill radius around the round. In the situation I was discussing earlier, we shot a CSAT autorifleman 3 times with the 20mm cannon on the blackfoot using HE rounds. Not with splash damage, but with direct hits. No human being should have been able to survive that, their body would have been torn to shreds with the first shot, not to mention two more. The fourth direct hit killed him.

I propose a lethal radius of at least 2-3 meters around the round in which anything that is in that radius is dead. Anything within 3-10 meters of the round should be injured. If this could be applied to all the cannons in the game, that would be great.

Not Ultaz. Glad others see this issue. Drives me nuts firing these rounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not Ultaz. Glad others see this issue. Drives me nuts firing these rounds.

Wow, then you posted this almost minutes after me and my friend were discussing this problem in-game 0.o

I thought I felt a disturbance in the force.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As for 30mm HEI, highest probable effective kill radius is within 15', with decreased effect such as overpressure injury(collapsed lungs and concussion), and loss of hearing and sight, at up to 40'. I've seen the effect in the field, and I can tell you that I wouldn't want to be anywhere within 200' of even a short strafe. The visual effect on the ground looks to be about the size of a medium tree.

High Explosive Incendiary (HEI) rounds burn zirconium powder at 18,000F and were designed to kill tanks by melting through armored plate. After the creation of third generation armor they were transitioned to use against personnel, light fortifications, and armored vehicles. Depleted Uranium based API (armor piercing incendiary) ammo replaced HEI for tank killing.

Below is a stats display I put on a whiteboard in the hanger of my Close Air Support (ECAS) mission on the Workshop. It's data that I got from reliable sources such as DOD RFP papers from manufacturers (public domain). You'll also find a video of what these rounds look like from the ground when they strike.

A10statsFull.png

Let me say though, that I trust the balance that the BIS Devs have built into ARMA3. There are a lot of variables involved and they've proven time and again that they can properly adjust for them. If that complex balancing act will allow them to increase the AOE of 30mm at some point you can bet they'll do it.

StrongHarm out.

Edited by StrongHarm
Forgot to add tempurature data

You guys notice this now? I've been sticking to using the marshall's 40mm since beta because of the other cannons lack of damage.

I have better success killing infantery with armour piercing shells than with high explosives ones. It's ridiculous to say the least.

I have better success killing infantery with armour piercing shells than with high explosives ones. It's ridiculous to say the least.

The problem as I see it is bis and how it balances out the power of these cannons so they are not overkill.that should be left up to the mission provider.

It Which makes no sense in a simulator.balancing them The weapons should have real world impact. Ripping infantry to shreds.

I want arma to be me more realistic less dumbed down which I feel it can be( these he rounds, no at backblast, cars exploding ) .I want a challenge. Screw the learning curve. Games like star citizen prove people want proper simulations.