Sign in to follow this  
redryder

Mauser M-20 (Conceptual Weapon) 7.92x57

Alright, havent made any posts in a long while, and more importantly, I have not updated my previous project, the M-1 (Here), for a long time. Since first releasing the M-1, I have been toying around with various projects, including an attempt at a VTOL attack vehicle, which, is beyond my ability and I am still leaving it up for grabs if anyone capable wants the model, and several other projects, which I have not finished any and were mostly conceptual weapons, either of pure imagination or inspired by real life works of genius. I have learned many things along the way, and about four months ago I started on this little contraption I call the Mauser M-20/35 Sturmgewehr chambered in the very powerful 7.92x57 Mauser cartridge (and is partially influenced by the Steyr AUG, but is mostly of my own imagination). Fortunately, the standard Mauser 8x57 round has plenty of charts detailing its ballistics and performance, unfortunately, I like having more than just pure lead all the time, and would much rather have other loadouts like hollowpoint for CQB or where I dont want to shoot through walls, and AP for general purpose, as well as the API (White Phosphorus tipped) loadout more commonly seen in aircraft when it was originally used, and of course, standard Ball w/ Tracer. Its unfortunate because.. well, the information for such loadouts is not readily available, so the ballistics for this weapon may not be very accurate according to RL standards as I have improvised while using the method (and charts) that I have learned about shortly after setting the M-1 aside, here, that I literally had no idea existed, so, hopefully, its really really close to the real deal.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a627/jmccather/arma32014-06-1223-05-09-51_zps6bc9b7be.png?t=1402633251?931 (650 kB)

gear_rrm20_x_CA_zps5b2831c2.png

arma32014-06-1704-18-01-926_zps66ce65ea.jpg?t=1402993575

arma32014-06-1704-18-56-776_zpsd8231fa7.jpg

arma32014-06-1704-18-33-758_zpsddba8df0.jpg?t=1402993578arma32014-06-1704-17-35-753_zps269dd7fe.jpg?t=1402993572

(Just skip to the next para if you dont want to read about techie stuff)

So far, its aprox. 5-6000 vertices (far from the M-1 at some 16-18k (planning on fixing that to so it works better on lower end systems)) and I might be planning on re-building the stock (I sometimes feel that it looks bad, but I cant tell as my texturing skills are horrid), so probably 8000-9000 at the end. All shadows work beautifully (as compared to the sometimes glitchy M-1), thanks to months of toying around with other models, and I actually got this animation thing down, only one bug so far that is proving to not easily go away with that. The reload animation is a stock animation, which kinda sorta looks like it goes fine with the weapon, Im not sure if it really needs its own custom reload animation. I am having only One serious bug right now that just escapes my grasp of it all, when I start up the game, and place a box down, then preview it, the game reports that- "No Entry (Yada, yada, yada)\CfgWeapons\fireLightDiffuse" (Im assuming something with the muzzleflash, but im hoping someone else can enlighten me on the subject that does not come up in any sort of search I have made) and one REALLY annoying bug when you are shot- It kinda makes the screen jump or flash, and I have once seen the ocean for just a micro-second, and leaves you open to getting shot at and leaves you disoriented. So, heres to hoping that someone knows what the hell it is. (Mysteriously disappeared.... not sure what happened to the bug, I have not messed around with recoil since release, assuming it was a corrupt file or a strange arma-ism. If anyone has it please send me a message.) I also have been attempting to make a sort of fire like effect you would see on burning phosphorus and somehow making anyone near get relevant damage and hear correct audio.. however the audio thing is a lot of work as I would need to make seperate audio files for each hit effect for it to actually sort of sound good, and the burning effect is just not working out at all, and I kinda jerry-rigged it calling it "partially explosive" (eg- explosive = .1;) with a fairly small damage radius and indirecthit damage to at least partially simulate it burning through armor and the pain you would feel being near it or having bits of it on you.

So, yeah, enough with the boring stuff. Cool stuff-

Kills an unarmored dude in one hit C-O-M (AAF Rifleman in 2 using "Ball" munitions), pretty much breaks legs in one or two hits, sometimes kills (would probably rip limbs off); Takes a few more hits, anywhere from 1-4 depending on armor; Ive done several tests using "Steel Plates" and "Shoothouse Walls" to determine it's penetration power, and honestly, I cant believe that the materials I used are accurate in their own construction. The API rounds go at least 10 walls through on full auto. I find this kinda hard to believe.. 2x4s and drywall should have slowed the bullet down greatly by maybe 4 or 6 walls, but, I did get the math as close as I could (particularly with the ball rounds, which also penetrate quite deeply), so I doubt it is the problem, especially when it doesnt murder any armored car outside the expected wheel and radiator area. The API round went through about ten steel plates, then deflected and amazingly hit and killed an AI some twenty yards away. It seems that it will only get through 12 plates. AP is around seven +- three which should be expected when compared to API... but come on, steel plates? They are like 1in thick plates... Id expect a .50 to only go through three to five, maybe six. Anyways, its more powerful than your standard armament, but does have some considerable recoil as expected owning a mauser 98k myself. It is much less than what it could be, I intend for the weapon to have some sort of piston behind the receiver and in front of the butt. (Also, some techie stuff- I did use CamShakeFire to help make the recoil a little more believeable, although I feel it needs to be put down a little and the recoil may need adjusted, thoughts? Took it out... too unrealistic and made me just a tad sick to look at.)

I also want to say, before I provide the link, is that I SERIOUSLY suck at texturing.... I mean... I suck BAD imo. So, I would really apreciate it if someone would be willing to texture it. Just PM me and Ill send you a copy of the base model. Feel free to modify the UV-map as you like, I will admit that I took shortcuts and placed similar faces right on top of eachother. I really dont want to have to put a license on this addon or the model that I am willing to give out to you all. Just please do not modify my work and claim it as your own. (After completing the sound suppressor, which I actually think I did a fair job on, I may actually attempt to retexture it and make it look a whole lot better than what it appears to be right now. However, I will still gladly accept any help pertaining to that.)

So, without further adieu, The M-20, Alpha v.2

Note: Requires ASDG Joint Rails found here. (Refer to changelog as to why I will not make a seperate non-ASDG version)

Version: Alpha v.2

Note, this is still WIP

Installation: Just extract this with WinRAR or something else to your Arma 3 directory in "C\Program Files <(x86 <(if you are on a 64bit)>)>\Steam\Steamapps\common\Arma 3" and enable using either a mod enabler or through the "Expansions" tab in the Main Menu. There is a box in the editor under "Empty\Ammo" that you can place that contain 200 of each mag, 25 guns, and some odd number of accesories.

PROS-

Powerful

fairly accurate

man stopper

kills armored dude in around 2 hits, maybe 4. Unarmored in one hit center-of-mass

did I mention powerful?

various loadouts

Cons-

Can carry generally around 10-15 mags (wo/backpack) depending on how much you take of each, even less if you take only API (my attempt at balancing the gun).

Recoil

Is not accurate at full auto

is about a yard long

CLASS NAMES

Weapon: rr_M20

SoundSuppressor: muzzle_M20

box: Mauser_M20

mags: rr_20rnd_792x57, rr_20rnd_792x57_T, rr_20rnd_792x57HP, rr_20rnd_792x57_API, rr_20rnd_79x57_B

Edit:

I forgot about HollowPoint- It just doesnt go through walls very well... and it only penetrated the first steel plate and shattered on the second, it did knock the first one down though. Has great stopping power. I was also going to post a video showing all of this, but movie maker is not co-operative. I almost forgot this as well.. The gun has an integrated laser pointer, just press L (havent actually tested it yet). Im also hoping on possibly building several other variants using the same base model. After that or in an interim, I will probably be working on or releasing an update to the forgotten M-1.

Now that I have also read and re-read this entire post, I feel like I babble too much. Whatever, I guess its better to lay it all out on the table rather than post something later.

CHANGELOG

Alpha v.2

Sharpened some parts I forgot to sharpen in the base LOD, EG- the rail.

Added ASDG Joint Rails- Decided to not support a non-ASDG variant as I was having numerous problems and it generally bogged me down way too much.

Added a suppressor.

Cleaned up some small problems in the model including a problem with the shadows on some of the parts.

Added plain "ball" ammunition that I had forgotten about

Tweaked with init speed of magazines

Added gear UI (minus that of the suppressor itself)

(Not really mod related- cleaned up the post a little took more pictures)

Probably forgot some miscellaneous things....

Alpha v.1

Initial Release

Bugs-

Bullet Cover wont animate

firelightDiffuse?

TO DO-

Possibly redo stock, will probably redo other misc. comp. including the exterior parts of the reciever minus the bolt, slide, etc.

Need to redo textures, inspired by the better looking textures of the sound suppressor, will still accept help if offered

Need to tweak bullet ballistics as I find more data and do more math to figure out it's modern day equivalent in terms of speed due to increased pressure/better powder

Will eventually make several other versions, WAY on down the road.

Need to add misc. components to barrel

Eventually figure out the business with the bullet cover that, no matter how I go about it, will just not work. Probably a stupid mistake I looked over somewhere....

Edited by RedRyder

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Edited by Guest
updated to latest

New mod v0.1 alpha available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

@rr_m20.png

@ RedRyder;

Soon you will be able to manage the promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and you will get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way through withsix.wetransfer.com or add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

Hope you add ASDG railsystem support (if it give this badboy a try now)

Interesting mix of a futuristic rifle using a legendary ammo ;)

cheers!

Looks great. Maybe you could add a 7.92x33mm Kurz round fired from a carbine version, being weaker but a lot shorter for better use in CQB?

I have been out of the loop recently pertaining to all mods in general for arma 3, but after looking at ASDG, I will probably be adding it shortly as well as a supressor for the weapon. @ Kilroy, I am looking at making a couple of differing variants of the rifle, the lighter 792x33 might make an appearance, being lighter, it may actually make a better penetrator than the current AP variant that I am using.

Updated it, added a suppressor and ASDG support. Fixed some minor things and may or may not retexture the gun on my own. Fixed some small things. Tweaked initspeeds. Added ball ammunition that I had forgotten about, new pics.

Let me throw in my two cents here:

Why is M-20 chambered in 7.92x57mm? Why not go for 7.92x33mm (which would actually make sense, StG 44 used it, for instance)? The former would be just too powerful to be used in an AR, not to mention that the cartridge hadn't been used by anyone since 1990s for military purposes. But then again, why would Germans not have one of standard NATO cartridges?

Why Mauser? The company has been dead since 1995, only Mauser Jagdwaffen currently exists (it only manufactures hunting/sport rifles though).

Well, for one the 7.92x57 has much greater stopping power than the 7.92x33. To extend the term "stopping-power", I would use the cavitation that both bullets would cause, and all bullets, when relating to cavitation, are greatly affected by mass, diameter, material, design and velocity. I am not sure on the mathematical statistics, but with more mass, at the same diameter with the same velocity and the same material and the same design, which would be accurate in comparing a 7.92x57mm round to a 7.92x33 Kurz, you will always cause more damage to your target via cavitation than you would the Kurz. At the same time, more mass at the same speed/design/whatever would also mean less penetrating power, hence why a lot of AP rounds you will find will have a tungsten carbide core surrounded by a light metal, eg- aluminum. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HVAP#HVAP). I will admit that yes, using the 7.92x57 JS would be quite inaccurate in an assault rifle, however, we are not using a run of the mill weapon from 1942, neither are we also using a weapon from 2014, nor are we using the same cartridge. The original cartridge is outdated by almost a hundred years, and, for example, if I used a modern powder of the same weight in an old mauser, I would blow up the gun, as modern powder is much more explosive than previous mixtures. You could also match this by asking yourself, would I load C-4 explosives into a M-4 or any modern handheld weapon? To counter recoil, there are several different methods, as for the gas chamber, which can add to the recoil (eg- the AK-47), I am sure some more intuitive design or manufacturing process that would make everything run smoother, and require less force to operate the bolt can be found. Also, you will not find many assault rifles with some sort of active recoil dampening eg- pistons or springs, the most you could get with say, an AK-47, is to install a better butt pad and a muzzle brake. The way I have it figured out, is that 2 long screws/pins/whatever hold in the butt-pad, and of course, the pad attaches to the stock, but there is also a piston, or possibly two smaller pistons, attached in the dead-space between the walls of the stock to the butt-pad itself. You remove the butt-pad, which also contains these pistons, and practically the whole entire weapon system is fitted into the stock without many screws, if any, and moves freely back and forth without the butt-pad to hold it in the forward position. When you fire, the whole system independently moves inside the stock, to only have its rearward energy dissipated by the pistons, similar to the Barret 82A1. At the same time, it may even be possible to completely remove the gas chamber all together. (Granted, the current barrel model does not have any sort of muzzle-brake. As it is still a WIP model, Im still making modifications to it all the time.)

As for using Mauser as the manufacturer, well... anything can happen in the future.

I will go on to say that I may, after I make final touches to the rifle I currently have, which who knows when especially with the task of texturing, that I may make another weapon of the same make, probably a carbine, that will use the 7.92x33mm. As I have mentioned in another post, the 7.92x33, being lighter, would make a fair bang and it might actually have better armor piercing qualities than the 7.92x57.

Hello. I'm really enjoying your concept AR. I have an issue though. I notice that I have no sound effect present when firing the weapon. Can someone point me to a fix? Thank you.

Well, its been a LONG time since I have last posted anything, and I will give you the short version of a very long story. Around December, I had NEARLY finished this addon, and it was absolutely beautiful. I had gotten all the kinks worked out, the model was finished, I had gotten ASDG on it, the texture were finished and looking great, and I had accurately created several ammunition types, including the standard 150gr SpitzerBT (Or just Ball ammunition), 230gr HPBT, and the 85gr (formerly the heavier, more inaccurate APCR/HVAP) Armor Piercing Discarding Sabot, which is just basically a somewhat long 4.318mm lawn dart (Although it could be a little thinner) seated in a plastic carrier which has aerodynamic spoilers on the side. I also recall having a AP round, but I had phased it out in preference to the APDS, as well as an AP-I round, which I couldnt quite get to the realism I wanted, as well as tracers, and I think I dabbled around a little with more exotic ammunition like frag, frangible, HEIAP, and others. I think I only had APDS, Ball, Tracers for various types, and HP for the main release until I could work a few more exotic but real rounds in my personal experimental version.

Anyway, shortly after Christmas, I had began getting a LOT of problems with my junky HP. When I first got the damned thing, about 3 months in it started having problems, eventually leading to it not booting up and sounding an alarm which basically said that something was wrong with the motherboard or RAM. This, in short, progressed with me sending it back multiple times in a year, which, when I did that they increased my warranty time to two years, then on the last problem they outright lied and said they would not fix it, and that I had to buy a $50 set of disks that will "fix" a new problem which I developed from what I believe was a problem with the mother-board that corrupted the HDD. These disks then had a program on them that wiped them clean after their first use, as I found out later.

Anyway, it lasted for a couple of years, and then the rarely used HDD started getting physically corrupted, and it eventually caught flame, and since I cant buy a new HDD without buying a new OS (thanks to OEM), not to mention the damage to the MB, the PC is now gutted for its PSU, RAM, CD drives, as well as my aftermarket GPU, and is sitting in my back yard as a rifle target. It is safe to say that I learned a lesson and am now storing all of my work on ASUS webstorage at regular intervals, which I think I got 100gb free for life with my mother-board. Any bit that I did store from previous versions is obsolete. As of now, the model is mostly done, with a few anomalous vertexes that need to be took care of, with redundant parts being singular as to make it easier to texture. The muzzlebrake and soundsupressors are, respectively, not finished/not to scale, and not finished/stand-in for a better model. The magazine is meh, but I suppose it will do. The textures are non-existent, pending on when I have time to do it and the patience to deal with it. Sounds are also non-existent, and may be reused, but they are nowhere near the quality of the version that I had lost. Coding is pretty much at the chicken-scratch level, and I may reuse some info regarding ammunition from the old addon, but I do have a lot of calculations finished for the APDS and Ball variants, as well as part of the config finished. At any rate, the model looks good, and thats a step I suppose considering all the crap I went through with HP. Here is some pics-

RR_M20.15-NEWVARIANTWIP_zpsvatdnq3k.pngRR_M20.15-NEWVARIANTWIP2_zps0satktda.pngRR_M20.15.ver.3.0.5.1.ALPHA.Apr06.2015-NEWVARIANTWIP_zpszzr3jjhx.png

On a side note, since this is no longer complete, Id like to request for this to be moved to the WIP forum section, as I am unsure, but somewhat positive that I myself can not do that. Maybe it doesnt necessarily need to be moved since there is a much older variant that can still be downloaded, but I dont really know. Suggestions are welcome, especially since I can not figure out how to get rid of that awful looking anomaly where the stock connects to the grips. I have done a lot to try and fix it, and I know that I have a fair bit of vertexes there, and it does have a fairly smooth transition. It just seems to like it there.. maybe it wont show in game, too early to tell. I might end up removing the ergo-grips on the side, but, whatever. I also had my M-1 model very close to completion, but I lost everything about that, so, that ship might have set sail, its hard to tell if I will ever re-build it. You could say that that project is MIA/probably KIA.