Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Charles

World Cup 2014

Wonderful Brazilian simulation inside the penalty area, shame on them.

---------- Post added at 23:56 ---------- Previous post was at 23:37 ----------

The Croatian team made a good game, but couldn't win against the 100 000 spectators, the Brazilian team, the referee and their own goal keeper.

Wonderful Brazilian simulation inside the penalty area, shame on them.

---------- Post added at 23:56 ---------- Previous post was at 23:37 ----------

The Croatian team made a good game, but couldn't win against the 100 000 spectators, the Brazilian team, the referee and their own goal keeper.

I think our Goalkeeper did a wonderfull job, but our defense really sucked. Yeah and that referee made a huge mistake.......

He also nearly shat himself when he was immediately sourrounded by 4 big croatian guys all screaming at him.

I was rooting for Croatia, they showed a great determination in the field, but that penalty kick...WTF, this wasn't right decision, nothing happened at all, no collision, no shirt holding, wtf? But someone had to do this to save Brasil from drawing on THEIR day. Such a shame :|

On tomorrow we have

Mexico - Cameroon (1:0)

Spain - Netherlands (damn, so hard to predict!)

This should be a cracking game. :cool:

have you read about what Brasilians think ? do you know about riots in Brasil that were bloody and roothles put down by gov ?

people living in favelas need schools, hospitals, not stadions build from taxes,

read more about Brasilian social issues and protests against world cup (spending tax money on building stadions instead of building schools and hospitals or safety in country with highest murders rate in region)

have you read about what Brasilians think ? do you know about riots in Brasil that were bloody and roothles put down by gov ?

people living in favelas need schools, hospitals, not stadions build from taxes,

read more about Brasilian social issues and protests against world cup (spending tax money on building stadions instead of building schools and hospitals or safety in country with highest murders rate in region)

Of course there are issues, but this thread is intended to stay open and purely about the games, not politics behind them.

I bet on the guys in orange.

Of course there are issues, but this thread is intended to stay open and purely about the games, not politics behind them.

it is not good to party on graveyard

i do not care about fun of world cup if it is harming local people and majority of locals are against, just elite have fun :

https://news.vice.com/article/scars-of-police-brutality-in-brazilian-protests-haunt-world-cup-kickoff

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2014/jun/09/brazils-anti-world-cup-street-art-in-pictures

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/12/anti-world-cup-protests-brazilian-cities-sao-paulo-rio-de-janeiro

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/13/world/americas/hundreds-of-brazilians-protest-outside-world-cup-stadiumin-sao-paulo.html?_r=0

http://guardianlv.com/2014/03/death-squads-terrorize-rio-de-janeiro-as-brazil-readies-for-world-cup/

we should not have fun from worldcap if it is making party on graveyard

if we care about Ukrainian issue, about Putin politics, we also should care about suffering of people in Latin America where majority suffers from little minority of rich guys governing Latin American countries

Brasilian gov. tries to put make-up on beaten face

if Russia organized world cup in Crimean city would you have fun ?

in case of Euro 2012 also a lot of Poles were against them (cause for 100 000 000 Euro they build stadion, while they closed few hospitals due to lack of money and people died waiting for treatment in queue to hospital which has no budget, but socker was given budget from my taxes, many people in my country were against Euro 2012 because it was brainless waste of money)

but in Brasil it is 1000 times worse, people live in favelas, people die on streets, bodycount of murders is not even counted cause every year http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Brazil and Brasilian gov. spends money to make show-off in media and build stadion, i think we cannot forget about politics here ,

Edited by vilas

I agree with vilas. It is a nice event but the locals have really been cheated.

The Government didn´t invest any money in the favelas for years and then send in the police to regain control. After that some favelas were destroyed (residents who didn´t want to become homeless were arrested) to make room for the new buildings (including new mansions). The police together with the military acted very violently and without mercy. Some local people that were arrested simply dissapeared. This World Cup is also the most expensive to date and the people have a right to complain that the money could have been invested in infrastructure and helthcare (and it is a lot of money). Instead of that massive ammounts of money went to the police, the military and Private security contractors. The Cost for the security upkeep during the cup alone is 600 million $. A lot more money was invested before that.

Vicenews has a good documentary on that.

https://news.vice.com/video/contra-a-copa-the-other-side-of-brazils-world-cup-part-1

The cup is nice, but the poor locals are the ones who pay for it.

EDIT: About yesterdays game:

A quick analysis of the referees mistakes. It is in german, but google translate works well enough.

Basically:

The penalty was unjustified.

Neymar could have received a red instead of a yellow card (if you watch the footage he clearly looked at his opponent before he rammed his elbow in his face. So it was defiantely on purpose)

One Croatian goal didn´t count. (The fould wasn´t really one)

Before the 3:1 the referee didn´t see a Brasilian foul.

So yeah very bad job by the referee....

Edited by Tonci87

I'm really curious of how it's gonna end.

I'm really curious of how it's gonna end.

In the past world/euro cups I have always found the Spanish team's play style (short passes ad nauseam) extremely grating and not at all fun to watch. For that reason alone, I'm hoping that our Dutch bros will whoop their asses. :)

I would be extremely surprized if the Spanish team doesn't win.

Edited by ProfTournesol

My money is on Belgium. The best of the underdogs.

Also come on everyone that plays against England :D

I would be extremely surprized if the Spanish team doesn't win.

Yeah a decent amount of people I've seen have hardly mentioned spain, going for Argentina/Brazil, only trouble playing spain is doing something decisive once you finally get 30 seconds possession. Maybe traitor RVP can do just that tonight :P

only trouble playing spain is doing something decisive once you finally get 30 seconds possession.

Well the funny thing is that style was imported from... The Netherlands! by Cryuff when he became coach of the F.C. Barcelona. Then Pep Guardiola improved it making his team won all the possible titles ( Catalonia-Spain-Champions-World ). And of course that was adapted by Del Bosque to the Spanish National Team, as there are more than half the Barça players there.

But a lot of teams have already studied how to counteract it. So I think its gonna be a really interesting game.

Well the funny thing is that style was imported from... The Netherlands! by Cryuff when he became coach of the F.C. Barcelona. Then Pep Guardiola improved it making his team won all the possible titles ( Catalonia-Spain-Champions-World ). And of course that was adapted by Del Bosque to the Spanish National Team, as there are more than half the Barça players there.

But a lot of teams have already studied how to counteract it. So I think its gonna be a really interesting game.

Good point passed me by. Yes and King of all Dutchmen helped Mr Wenger implement the same style at Arsenal.

It'll be interesting to see how they deal Robben in behind.

An easy win for Spain. All defenders and the goalkeeper - one play in our own league with a club that hasn't managed to qualify for the 3rd qualifying round (there's a 4th one as well) of either the Champions League or Europa League in more than 8 years. The media hyped them up to get them into the national team and now we'll see what that lack of talent and experience is going to result in :D

Don't make the mistake of confusing this team with that of 4 years ago which had much better players, this is a completely different team except for de Jong, Sneijder, van Persie and Robben. Two of which have had a disastrous season with their club, one had weight issues all year long and only Robben approached the maximum of his abilities. The training exercises in things a Dutch international team should excel in like passing, make use of space, defending with space to the defence's rear etc were all performed extremely poorly ever since the new players entered the team ("level unworthy of Dutch internationals" was the term used in the media). We're simply in between generations hopefully. Van Gaal revised the Dutch youth academies at Ajax (traditionally the main supplier of players in successful national teams) and the Dutch team around 2001-2003 and left them in tatters. No more emphasis on the total football, but much more on competing in terms of strength and speed with foreign teams while our trick was always to have technically superior players to avoid having to fight a physical battle we will never win. This produced players that can't play total football unlike teams such as Barcelona that have profited from trusting Cruijff's approach to producing youth. Ajax made the best decision ever two years ago by dumping the van Gaal system and reverting back to that of Cruijff (which ironically gave van Gaal players like Seedorf, Davids, Kluivert, Rijkaard and the brothers de Boer to win every possible prize with back in the 90's, but as van Gaal hates Cruijff the highly successful system had to go because it wasn't his plan). The Dutch FA recognizes that there are problems in the youth academies but doesn't have the guts and too much pride to switch back to the old system, especially not with van Gaal still in charge of the first team. The -19 players are rubbish and -17 has a few good players in them but again mostly strong fast guys that have one minor flaw: they can't play football to total football's high standards.

The trend away from total football has been going on for years. The last time we played it was in 2006. In 2008 we went for a more counterattacking variant, in 2010 and 2012 we played 4-2-3-1 which has nothing to do with dominating play and now it's going to be 5-3-2 (3-5-2) while in possession, a system intended to insure defensive cohesion, but also it's a system that the Cruijff variant that Spain plays was designed to break apart. It's like we're reverting back to pre-1970 FPDR

I can't wait for Spain to rip the team apart (followed by Chili in match #3 (aka our last match this tournament)) so we can hopefully get rid of every trace of van Gaal's disastrous "Masterplan" for the youth academy. If that means taking one step back now to move 4 steps ahead later on than that's fine with me.

One can only hope that 'master-plan' continues to show 'fruition' :p at ManU.

Mexico a little unlucky, I see the officials making headlines again!

Day 2, match 2 and the biggest talking points are still the officals. Sigh

Two Mexican goals didn´t count (both wrong decisions by the referees).

When will they finally introduce video analysis?

Depends how far you want to go, you clearly don't want a stop-start game which ruins the flow ect, maybe giving the reff's discretion over certain offside decisions maybe an idea.

-

RVP's goal dang twas a good finish and great ball.