Sign in to follow this  
sakura_chan

Weapon recoild camera shake mod

I never liked the guns in Arma because they just didn't feel powerful when you fired them. There was recoil, but only the gun moved and it felt like you were a statue with a bobbing gun attached to it. I used some code in the ammo class to give each weapon some camera shake when fired. The effect helps create the sense of distortion you get when firing large or high rate of fire weapons. The effect doesn't affect the actual aiming, recoil or dispersion of the weapon, it is just a visual effect. The effect is also based on your stance, so standing, crouching and going prone have dramatic effects on the amount of camera shake.

My other gripe against the Arma guns is that they all felt like the same gun. Each type of gun has a different effect based on the type of bullet and weapon.

This just uses config changes, so no scripting is involved. Only covers guns, i never changed the launchers or grenade launchers yet.

sakumods.jpg

Version 1.1

http://sakumods.armaholic.com/Arma3/sakuWeaponShake/SakuWeaponShake.zip

buhmwM501Fc

*could a mod plx fix mur spellinz in the title?

Edited by Sakura_Chan

Sakura Chan you really are my Soulmate.

p.s. Sakura Chan, i was/am working on something similar, though the point where i am stuck for now is to make the camshake sensitive to player perspective (e.g. no shake in 3rd person, strong shake in ironsight), also i wanted the shake to be a rotation on the z-axis mainly, to create the impression of a shock, without affecting the abbility to aim too much. Eventually id like to be able to end up with something that allows adjustment of the shake per weapon and per perspective. Problem my scripting knowledge isnt even enought for this pretty basic task and i havent really been trying to get help yet. Are you intending to continue working on your addon or will you leave it as it is?

This is what i got, only basic config based effect though:

Vanilla M2 vs modified M2

Edited by Fabio_Chavez

Great idea Sakura. Using the latest dev build I'm not sure that it actually does anything though - I think addcamshake is broken. Certainly entering addCamShake [10, 1, 25]; into the debug console does nothing I can see.

i am stuck for now is to make the camshake sensitive to player perspective (e.g. no shake in 3rd person, strong shake in ironsight)

There is a script command that returns the player's view mode, so it can tell your script when the player is in 3d person etc.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/cameraView

I don't think there is anything else to do on this mod, it only took me an hour to make and test because it is very simple.

Feels much better , thx Sakura

btw early A3 alpha had this shake but later they disabled it for some reason

Sorry but I can't really see a difference but I should try this out later today.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

New mod v1.0 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

@saku_shake.png

@ Sakura_Chan;

Soon you will be able to manage the promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and you will get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way through withsix.wetransfer.com or add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

Even when you're prone with something as small as an M-249, your eyeballs rattle inside your head to the point you can hardly see what you're shooting. Definitely downloading this. :D

Yeah!

Finally, this is something that I miss on ArmA. It is needed in vehicles too!

Does this work on other weapon mod or is it limited to just vanilla weapons?

Hey Saku! Finally I found someone who agrees with me on the camera shake!

Since OPF I've been looking for such function!

But seriously, I believe I talk in behalf of the community here... we need an ARMA 2 VERSION(pleaseeeee?)!

If it was possible, it would be the addon we have been waiting for years!

This looks awesome, I can't wait to try it!

Does it have any effect in 3rd person?

Even when you're prone with something as small as an M-249, your eyeballs rattle inside your head to the point you can hardly see what you're shooting. Definitely downloading this. :D

Yeah, everyone who shot real guns in reality always laughed at the ArmA ones...

BTW, Pistol shooting in this game feels like you have a aimbot if you ask me.

Great.

How about adding appropriate camera shake to launchers? They never felt powerful or something to me.

Ill be posting an updated version that includes the launchers this evening. I increased the effect on pistols because they are actually pretty violent to shoot. The new version also includes a few animation tweaks relating to the launcher aiming.

Can you please do a Arma 2 version also. Thank you, this definitely adds the extra immersion the guns needed from the beginning.