Sign in to follow this  
chimaerazone

Recording and Rendering ArmA 3

*Please move if this is the wrong thread, I couldn't find anywhere better for this.*

I know this isn't the correct forum to ask this on, however I have a feeling that a few out there have an answer to this question.

I use Dxtory to record and Sony Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 to edit and render.

The other week my group did a mission, I decided to record. While recording I was running between 40 - 50 frames per second. I put the recording into Sony and started editing, making sure my render settings where at 50 frames per second. I then uploaded it to Youtube and this is what happened:

As you can see the video is super choppy, if you look at my other videos of ArmA 2 or other games it is not choppy at all.

Basically what I am asking is if someone could recommend me some good recording and rendering settings for ArmA 3.

Computer specs if needed:

Windows 8.1

AMD FX-8350

16 GB of Ram

GTX 770

Hmmm...Troubleshooting is reserved for the game itself. But don't want to move it to OT since it is related with ArmA 3 (although the main topic is recording/editing)...i think Questions & Answers might fit.

Apologies that i can't help with the problem itself. :(

YouTube limits the video to 30fps.

That's why I record in 30fps. The beauty with DxTory is that you can play in one fps but record in another.

Recommend ToxicSludge's post. Record in whatever you want. When you import it into Sony Movie Studio, make sure you define the project using the file you recorded as reference. Then do what ToxicSludge said, export only with 30fps max for youtube. I preferably use h.264 codec (.mp4) for output as well

Thanks guys. I took your advice and it seemed to work. In dxtory I changed to what I use to have, I did not realize that it changed.

One more question, I use .mp4 for rendering, but what template do you guys use?

Edited by ChimaeraZone

One more question, I use .mp4 for rendering, but what template do you guys use?
I use a custom template which seems to give me good results. I'll try and remember to post em when I get home - it is for Vegas so I don't know if it's the same or not.

I'd be interested to see some others too to see if/where I could improve.

I use a custom template which seems to give me good results. I'll try and remember to post em when I get home - it is for Vegas so I don't know if it's the same or not.

I'd be interested to see some others too to see if/where I could improve.

Seems like you forgot, haha.

For recording I suggest Bandicam. It hardly affects FPS, filesize is really small. In comparison, 5 minutes of gameplay with Shadowplay is 800 megs. I can record for an hour with Bandicam for same filesize.

Seems like you forgot, haha.
Oh crap, yeah I totally forgot about this!
So I just rendered out a little test video, what do you guys think of the quality and FPS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZYt4lUb_w8&feature=youtu.be

Still looks a little jittery to me, and quite...artifact-y...I think the compression may be squeezing too hard.

Post your render settings if you can. What codec are you using to record?

Edited by ToxicSludge

Ok, here are my Vegas render settings:

fv7w98p.jpg

I also use a program called "Mediacoder", which I love, to compress the filesize further after rendering in Vegas, without degrading the quality.

Ok, here are my Vegas render settings:

http://i.imgur.com/fv7w98p.jpg

I also use a program called "Mediacoder", which I love, to compress the filesize further after rendering in Vegas, without degrading the quality.

Project Properties

ea6a6866dc.png

render settings

b711e7d713.png

Also recording settings

fb4b7a95e2.png

---------- Post added at 18:21 ---------- Previous post was at 18:20 ----------

For recording I suggest Bandicam. It hardly affects FPS, filesize is really small. In comparison, 5 minutes of gameplay with Shadowplay is 800 megs. I can record for an hour with Bandicam for same filesize.

I am not a fan of Bandicam, dxtory has features that I need that bandicam doesn't. File size to me isn't an issue, I record to a separate hard drive. While I am recording with dxtory I run 40-50 frames, so that also isn't an issue.

The first issue I see is that you're recording at 30fps and rendering at 29.97fps :/

The first issue I see is that you're recording at 30fps and rendering at 29.97fps :/

With that test video that I uploaded it was recorded at 29.97, I then went in a changed it after recording it.

With that test video that I uploaded it was recorded at 29.97, I then went in a changed it after recording it.
You cant record in one fps and render in another. End point is, record in 30fps, render in 30fps and upload in 30fps.

You cant record in one fps and render in another. End point is, record in 30fps, render in 30fps and upload in 30fps.

I know, I recorded in 29.97 then rendered in it, after recording I switched it to 30, but I haven't switched it yet in Movie Studio

So I edited up our last mission, it gets a bit choppy near the end, but other than that what do you guys think?