Sign in to follow this  
Waxitron

Universal Integrated Helmet And Display Sight System (UIHADSS) for ArmA 3

Hello!

This being my first attempt at posting a thread, may end badly, have been covered in the past, or prove to be entirely pointless. In anycase......

To preface this post, I enjoy flying Attack Helicopters in ArmA. It is something that I find challenging and fun to do.

Having played with NodUnit and Franz's AH-64D, while being the hands down the best Attack Helicopter that I have ever used in ArmA, I realized that something was missing, something fundamental. What was missing was the IHADSS system being represented at the same level of fidelity that the weapons, navigation, and aircraft operations were designed at. Naturally there is a system in place that allowed for a semi-realistic representation, with a toggable PNVS and a IHADSS system that is incredibly functional. But what was missing was the merger of these two ability in conjunction with "Normal Vision" as happens in the real world.

Integrated_Helmet_and_Display_Sighting_System.jpgpnvs_masking_1.jpg

The IHADSS system that is an integral part of the AH-64 Apache in real life has never been simulated in a realistic manner in ANY currently released game, as far as I am aware. There is a notable example on the horizon with Combat Helo, but that does not resolve the core issue. The core issue is that this system is not implemented in ArmA 3. That core issue that has caused my interest in this project (idea/discussion/etc). While there have been valid and notable attempts to approximate the system, as well as not so effective ones over the years, none have actually been able to approximate the idea in a realistic fashion.

Allow me to break down the UIHADSS Project into "modules" if you will, to further convey the idea of how I hope to have it working.

1. A Player Helmet/NVG Item that is required to enable the system via AddAction
  2. A Player Viewfinder, similar to the Apache HUD from the Mando Missle project
  3. A Univeral Artificial Horizon that can be used for any aircraft that approximates the terrain that the aircraft is about to encounter at a set distance and height.
  4. A Universal Targeting System and Associated Symbology that can be shared between Pilots/Aircraft within a set distance and faction.
  5. A Universal Navigation System that allows for Multiple Waypoints to be set, shared, and adjusted.
  6. A Universal Image Intensification Overlay that will approximate the real world IHADSS system in a realistic manner, and enabled/disabled via AddAction.

Now that we have the core concepts, it is a bit easier to see how this project could be developed for use in ArmA 3.

My initial idea is to use a Picture-In-Picture to approximate the Image system, and overlay the Navigation, Targeting, and Horizon onto the PiP in a method similar to how the IHADSS overlay looks in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY4pkezoCEI

and similar to how the PiP overlay is working in this video

What I hope to convey in this post is an idea to perhaps develop a modification that will lead to IHADSS becoming a more "true to life" system in the ArmA 3 environment.

I would love to hear input, ideas, opinions, and suggestions on this idea.

Thank you all for the time you have taken to read this.

Edited by ENJAM

The PiP in the second video looks amazing, I would love to see that as a mod. I've wanted sights like that forever and I thought Bohemia would have implemented them but they never did. It just adds so much more realism in the game when the scopes have that feel. Hopefully you can do a release of them soon, would love to test them out.

this second videos, show mod that is avalible to dowload, but it work only on 1 map and have a lot of bugs

The second video is to display a concept of how the system might work.

A better idea can be attained from Dslyecxi's MH-6 Sensor Pod Concept

Woah .... never mind the HUD ... MM working in A3 ?? That IS news !

Fully agree with you, the ability to project images from the PNVS to the HDU was something we really wanted to do and hoped to do with both Arma 3 and TKOH, we even began experimenting with this late in Arma 3's alpha, with PIP tied directly to the PNVS to not only project an image to the pilots helmet but to also allow TrackIR and freelook/numpad keys to control the pilots head and sensor at the same time, allowing the same situational awareness of the real aircraft.

Not only that but two sources were added so that both crew members could have their unique, or swap optics..both PNVS and TADS and able to see what the other is looking at as per their display selection on the MPD's.. the image would be a resource and as such toggleable on and off without leaving a nasty black screen, being a resource also allowed the option to alter its color intensity, type, and transparency. MPD PIP does NOT allow this, you either have NVG green, daylight color or FLIR white hot.

PIPT2_zps369f19e7.jpg

PIPT_zps0488d3a0.jpg

We hoped to go all the way with slaving the camera to targets, zoom functionality for the TADS user, and all that good stuff.

I dont ever remember seeing this while playing with the bird, is this something that you guys have been hiding?

Don't know if the hooks are still in place or not, it was a feature Franze messed with some time ago, here is a video of some testing footage.

Before anyone asks, the resource on the HDU is linked to the pilots HDU whereas the MPD is linked to the TADS so they may desync. The PIP camera is mounted at the farthest of PNVS' sight hence everything appearing larger and closer even in PNVS view (oh yeah that is fun to wrap your head around from the pilot seat).

It looks much more clear ingame and there doesn't appear to be a perfect filter....

NVG has its weaknesses based on TOD and weather but so too does FLIR, the tradeoff is darker but seeing more vs seeing all but limited contrast although resource is kinder than PIP on screen,

such as how the brighter something is the more green it becomes which would be similar to the real thing, whereas the MPD can be seen glowing white.

Resource PIP quality can be tailored by powers of 2 but 512 (or was it 1024..) is the highest you can go without the image stretching, you'll get a more crisp small image on 1/4 of the PIP resource and the rest stretching.

There is also a delay in the refresh rate for PIP resource but strangely this hasn't been very problematic..its as if the brain compensates for it.

Edited by NodUnit

---------

I am a huge fan of your Apache AH64D mod! I agree with the previous comment that adding an IHADSS monocle interface would heighten the sense of realism.

I can see VR tech (like the Occulus Rift) taking this to the next level for a truly unique gaming experience. I know that it becomes difficult to use VR goggles when playing a PC game like Arma due to the need to use one's keyboard; but I have found that I don't really have to use many of the keys when flying the Apache. Besides there should be a way for players to program the buttons on their HOTAS controllers to reduce/eliminate the need to stare down at their keyboards.

I will submit a simple mock up image of how I envision the "next level" of realism for Apache flight on my next post.

---------- Post added at 15:21 ---------- Previous post was at 15:20 ----------

The image below depicts a view of an airfield inside the cockpit of your Apache mod (as might appear when viewing through VR goggles). The right eye display is the only side that would show the monocle, which could be toggled on/off. The monocle serves as the PNVS and displays navigation or targeting systems. Real Apache pilots have to learn to focus their attention on one eye and then the other depending upon circumstances. It takes time, but one learns to adjust. And if this were to bother a player, they could just toggle it "off." But I imagine there are plenty of players who would love the challenge and the ability to feel like they are really flying an Apache.

I hope you to someday see this capability on your high quality mod. If you do add it, how would you communicate that to the Arma BI community?

Mock%20up%20-%20Apache%20AH64D%20IHADSS%20Monocle%20Display%20-%20for%20Occulus%20Rift_zps7fhpmxz3.jpg