Sign in to follow this  
Gudsawn

3D Scopes - This can't be right

I've never really been a huge fan of the 3D scopes (I usually use a custom TMR 2D scope)), but today I thought I'd have a go on a few vanilla servers.

I grabbed myself an MX and an ARCO, ran about 100m to get myself a vehicle, then I noticed what happens to the 3D scope. This:

http://i.imgur.com/nqTIlyf.jpg (140 kB)

That is a screenshot of me, in prone, after waiting about 30 seconds for the guy to catch his breath. The scope remained slowly floating around the bottom left of the screen. I have no idea why the reticle should ever deviate from being dead-on the centre of the screen in the first place (no matter how fatigued you are), but this is a bit extreme. Surely this can't be right, is this a known bug that I've missed?

Apologies if this is a known problem, I did search for "3D Scope Sway" but couldn't find anything relating to this issue.

Edited by Goodson

Depends on whether your head freedom (don't know the specific word anymore, but it's not the headbob) is set to zero or unequal.

If unequal zero, keep alt pressed to center scope in your view.

Otherwise, your scope should be already centered (in this case freelook would achieve something like this).

Depends on whether your head freedom (don't know the specific word anymore, but it's not the headbob) is set to zero or unequal.

If unequal zero, keep alt pressed to center scope in your view.

Otherwise, your scope should be already centered (in this case freelook would achieve something like this).

That's the aiming deadzone. I don't usually experience deviation that drastic when I set it to 0.

Aiming deadzone is set to zero, I never use it.

It's a known bug, not very well-known one though. I've tried to replicate it but haven't found a way to do it reliably.

It mostly happens when you're fatigued, i.e. a lot of gun sway, and you turn or change stance quickly right before aiming down the sights.

It's a known bug, not very well-known one though. I've tried to replicate it but haven't found a way to do it reliably.

It mostly happens when you're fatigued, i.e. a lot of gun sway, and you turn or change stance quickly right before aiming down the sights.

Thanks for the info ;)

I've never really been a huge fan of the 3D scopes (I usually use a custom TMR 2D scope)), but today I thought I'd have a go on a few vanilla servers.

I grabbed myself an MX and an ARCO, ran about 100m to get myself a vehicle, then I noticed what happens to the 3D scope. This:

http://i.imgur.com/nqTIlyf.jpg (140 kB)

That is a screenshot of me, in prone, after waiting about 30 seconds for the guy to catch his breath. The scope remained slowly floating around the bottom left of the screen. I have no idea why the reticle should ever deviate from being dead-on the centre of the screen in the first place (no matter how fatigued you are), but this is a bit extreme. Surely this can't be right, is this a known bug that I've missed?

Apologies if this is a known problem, I did search for "3D Scope Sway" but couldn't find anything relating to this issue.

Had same problem today.

Currently the Sway system and recoil system including the exclusion of working bipod's & weapon resting is to say the least disappointing. I don't think it matters if it's a 2D scope or 3D scope but I might be wrong.

TMR and other modules have sort of changed recoil and stuff that we all love from ACE (A2). I wish for more stable sway in vanilla A3. Anyone remember using rangefinders whilst standing in A3 Alpha?

Sort of the same feeling except for Rifles :P

Edited by Oksman
Grammar, must do grammar

I couldn't find neither a feedback tracker ticket nor any mention in the forums for this. Strange. I thought this happens to everyone ever since the 3D scopes were introduced? And always in the worst possible time, like when enemy surprises me while running, I turn, hit the dirt and pull the sights up. It's takes a moment to find the reticle in the bottom corner of the screen.

Ye i can confirm this issue - it has to do with sway and fatigue , also bis is planning to update recoils and sway for the bootcamp dlc

btw they could lock the 3D view to the center and sway should move with the scope + camera together like the 2D scopes do

I’ve never had this problem yet I still get stuck aiming in when I hit my map key.

Another thing is how do you get your scope reticle so clear?! I’ve tried turning off post processing but it’s still blurry/ halo’ed.

Anyone who has followed the devbranch thread knows about this bug, and IIRC it was recently fixed on devbranch.

Ye i can confirm this issue - it has to do with sway and fatigue , also bis is planning to update recoils and sway for the bootcamp dlc

btw they could lock the 3D view to the center and sway should move with the scope + camera together like the 2D scopes do

That's the problem with 3D scopes. I have no idea why the devs had the brilliant idea of making the 3D scopes sway without the camera following them. It's completely unrealistic.

Because the 3D-scopes with zoom work like all the other 3D-scopes too. And the holographic and reddot-variants also move independent of the screen center.

Anyone who has followed the devbranch thread knows about this bug, and IIRC it was recently fixed on devbranch.

Nope, still an issue on Dev.

That's the problem with 3D scopes. I have no idea why the devs had the brilliant idea of making the 3D scopes sway without the camera following them. It's completely unrealistic.

I guess your eyes are supposed to follow the gun sway, just like in real life. It's kinda realistic that the game doesn't do it for you. The problem is that you're not used to it because it doesn't work like that in other games.

I guess your eyes are supposed to follow the gun sway, just like in real life. It's kinda realistic that the game doesn't do it for you. The problem is that you're not used to it because it doesn't work like that in other games.

Yes, but isn't it still too much? I mean, shouldn't the weapon be firmly stuck into your cheek or something?

Yes, it's definitely too much when the mentioned bug appears. But when I'm exhausted and maybe shot in the arm, I'm willing to take the penalty of the scope travelling around the screen. In reasonable amounts of course.

Yes, but isn't it still too much? I mean, shouldn't the weapon be firmly stuck into your cheek or something?

Well yes and no, the gun isn't going to hold itself steady, it's the operator of course, IRL this is somewhat automatic and you don't need to focus on doing so, but in Arma you need to compensate "manually", the bond you have with your weapon IRL is missing in games, I personally am OK with it.

The issue is actually caused by the parameter "aimprecision" not zero of trans anims(from a stance to another stance), I noticed it since the start of Apha version, it can be fixed by made a addon to set "aimPrecision = 0;" for all the trans anims.

Well yes, and no. I've only ever fired airsoft guns, so I can't really say I have any experience with real weapons, but I'm pretty sure in real life the scope sight would almost always be dead-on the centre of your vision due to the stock 'welding' into your shoulder. As your body moves (e.g. from breathing), so does the sight - it's effectively attached to your body (this is what TMR tries to replicate, he calls it "cheek weld").

The only sway would come from your arm (the one holding the foregrip) tiring, but even then I don't think the weapon sway is anywhere near as exaggerated as Arma 3 makes out.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Anyone here who's ever fired a real weapon? Maybe you can help us out.

Well yes, and no. I've only ever fired airsoft guns, so I can't really say I have any experience with real weapons, but I'm pretty sure in real life the scope sight would almost always be dead-on the centre of your vision due to the stock 'welding' into your shoulder. As your body moves (e.g. from breathing), so does the sight - it's effectively attached to your body (this is what TMR tries to replicate, he calls it "cheek weld").

The only sway would come from your arm (the one holding the foregrip) tiring, but even then I don't think the weapon sway is anywhere near as exaggerated as Arma 3 makes out.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Anyone here who's ever fired a real weapon? Maybe you can help us out.

I've never shot airsoft guns but I don't think they differ much from the real ones.

Yes, the gun is welded to your shoulder and your head, not your eyes. From my experience with real weapons, you will keep your eyes fixed on the target effortlessly and struggle to adjust the sights to it. After all, you're not supposed to focus on the sights but the target.

The Arma way feels more like the real life, than some other games which move your eyes involuntarily. A gun sway should be an industry standard, not eye sway. :)