zooloo75

Firefight Improvement System 2

So are you going to keep working on it? I'm really anxious to try this out.

FFIS2 will see light one day, but it will never be as advanced as I want it to be, due to the performance of SQF. I hope that one day BI will release an API so we can all fully utilize the power and performance of real programming languages.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

FFIS2 will see light one day, but it will never be as advanced as I want it to be, due to the performance of SQF. I hope that one day BI will release an API so we can all fully utilize the power and performance of real programming languages.

Could you please give me an example of this? How is sqf not as good as other languages? How would it increase performance?

This is purely for my benefit and if you don't feel comfortable answering hereso we do not hijack the thread, feel free to pm me.

Could you please give me an example of this? How is sqf not as good as other languages? How would it increase performance?

This is purely for my benefit and if you don't feel comfortable answering hereso we do not hijack the thread, feel free to pm me.

It's a hefty topic, but long story short, SQF has to be interpreted by the engine and is weighed down by the ArmA process. Native compiled code is faster than interpreted code. There's also no limitation as to what one can do using a programming language such ad C# or C++ as they would have direct access to everything.

What if you could offload the AI to a GPU? Like with PhysX or rendering images in Autocad can be offloaded to a GPU or ran on the CPU. Especially with the AMD GCN architecture, it could dramatically improve the AI performance.

BI has started working on this with the "Headless Client" system. A Headless Client connects to a server and helps offload certain tasks like AI so the server itself can put more horsepower to managing other things.

Considering the fact the FFIS 2 offers something different from what FFIS offered, that means I could have both mods active correct? BTW: I love your mods.

I have been following this thread for a significant time and after reading your comments zooloo, i find it easy to feel sympathy for you. I understand your commitment to quality work and hopefully, i may be able to provide some insight.

It is quite apparent that you possess the knowledge and talent to contribute something amazing to the arma community. After extensive review of numerous discussions on arma 3 forums, it appears your legacy thus far was the successful pairing of ffis(1) and asr ai.

Keeping that in mind zooloo, and acknowledging the progress you have made with ffis 2, it may be logical to revisit your original ffis code and enhance the overall quality compatibility with asr ai, essentially optimizing the arma 3 ai experience.

As stated, there is much discussion and disappointment that ffis(1) no longer works, and the positive reviews of the pairong ffis and asr ai.

I hope you consider the suggestion. Thank you for the contributions you have made thus far.

I'm seeing this thread only now? I'm just too slow...

I can support dirty in all his aspects and wanted to add the (already said) suggestion to make ffis2 headless client supporting with outsourcing heavy scripts on them. Multiple headless clients maybe, too?

I hope you're still working on this, I'm missing the working ffis1.

ASR_ai is not enough...

If this mod is still on there is one thing the AI needs more than anything else: believable rate of fire. The AI still fires in the exact same bursts with the exact same delay between each like cold calculating robots instead of humans in a firefight. This is the one thing that keeps me from enjoying the game like it should be enjoyed.

Could you simply run the senario "Area A" 100 times loding it automatically from a small program and then take the .txt file and add this to the next iteration of FFIS and ship it with a new ,improved way to do firefights?:j:

What about making it work with Reinforcements and add in overheat and refuel stops for tanks and Scouts ahead of main force and so on?;)

I will be redoing this project starting tonight (installing ArmA3 right now).

• Like 3

Nice Zooloo! Did I prod your interest or time when i pm'd you about permissions for the other version?

Excited to hear this is going to happen. I really miss those FFIS crafty bastards!

Step1: Install FFIS

Step2: Be confident that you are the Arma super soldier you have always been.

Step3: Participate in a firefight longer than 3 minutes.

Step4: Realize you are now flanked.

Step5: Realize you are now surrounded.

Step6: Respawn and rethink Step2.

• Like 2

Nice Zooloo! Did I prod your interest or time when i pm'd you about permissions for the other version?

You did influence my decision. I have had many things and people give me confidence to get back to doing what I love (which is modding and developing the side projects that I used to do a while back). I will be completely honest, I do aspire to one day work at BIS doing something programming related, but I'm currently going through a lot right now (college, full-time programming job, grinding away at the roadblocks in life).  I just love to program and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

I really appreciate everything that the ArmA community and I have gone through since I was in high school. If it wasn't for ArmA, I wouldn't be where I'm at today.

In short, FFIS2 will be made, and will be very f#*$@!g cool.

• Like 5

Hello Zooloo

Great to see you are giving it another crack. I really feel that AI is a core aspect in giving a exciting, challenging and immersive experiance in the Arma series. What really sets Arma apart is the culmination of authentic features that allow you to put real life logic into virtual practice. AI play a massive part in accomplishing that.

Really wish you the best of luck and can't wait to see what you achive.

• Like 1

@zooloo75 Cool, Glad I could help ;)

Thats a good goal to have to work for Bis you have the skill, and the passion I think they woudl really enjoy seeing what you can develop in their games, as well as the customers namely us.

• Like 1

The original FFIS was amazing, I'm sure you'll do a great job on the second version, just remember to keep performance for multiplayer up and not to over tax the cpu. Can't wait to see then end result!

• Like 1

Sitrep: just finished implementing a data pagination method in the client-side library to overcome the return buffer limit of the callExtension command.

The complimenting function is also implemented in SQF.