Sign in to follow this  
rfc

Karts: suggestions

About the Karts

To be blunt: I love 'em :) For one, it's just incredible what this engine can deliver. I already could imagine an MP Racing mod. Anyway.

Since Karts are obviously "fun over realism", here are some suggesting to BIS to improve the experience:

• it would be nice if for XBOX controller there could be a more fitted mapping
    Currently you steer with left stight (OK) but accell/deccel with the right stick. Players playing GTA know how a useful mapping has to be:
    • left trigger: brake/reverse
    • right trigger: accelerate
    • left stick up: hit extra accelerate
    • left stick left/right: steer
    • right stick: look around
      It can be mapped currently, but there's one big problem: it does not automatically recenter. But that's IMHO necessary. One could mapping pressing right stick to center, I tested it. But then it gets just distracted for the racing experience.

[*]the mini-map I get with "B" should be oriented so that up always faces the same direction the driver is facing (sans his head movement direction). Also, it should be tilted so that it views farther in the distance ahead

[*] the track markers are really sometimes hard to spot. and the should already give an indication in which direction to go next

[*] the collision physics, especially noticeable on challenge track 5, is very very frustrating. If you hit the boarder in an acute angel, it usually increases the angle thus make you face more towards the border (hard to describe for me). I don't expect to bounce off of the border but it is hindering the race experiencing because it almost requires perfect driving (i.e. no collision in narrow space).

I guess more will come later. But nevertheless, it's lot of fun. Too bad it's only SP.

edit: added tilting of minimap, collision physics on track 5

Edited by rfc
tilting, collision physics

More field of view is what I want. On high speed there is enough but when on low speed there's too little. 2x (-) doesn't toggle any zoom back unfortunately :(

Do you mean FOV dependent on the vehicles speed? I think I saw similar things in other games, usually the FOV "increasing" with speed. But you actually meant it the other way round?

some sort off glance over shoulder mechanism, like space bar + left/right mouse click for the keyboard cowboys :D

AI do pretty good on the open road, i been racing them all over Altis, i keep looking over my shoulder as they like shunting me of the road! they still get caught up in places, sometimes theres a big pile up, but they actually work it out after a while and theyre off again!

I was able to get "glance over shoulder" somehow working by assigning the right stick left/right to "Look left (analog)"; I had to increase the deadzone for the right stick however, otherwise it wouldn't properly center.

Btw, is there a handbreak somewhere? The usual handbreak key doesn't seem to do anything ...

---------- Post added at 16:18 ---------- Previous post was at 15:59 ----------

Added more about map tilting and collision physics to initial post