laxemann

Laxemann's "Enhanced Soundscape" (L_ES) - Gun reverb and echo based on terrain

A heads up:

I'm currently redoing pretty much all the sounds and reworking the scripts a bit, but I won't be at home the whole next week.

You can expect a much improved version soon though :)

@Kerc Kasa (or anyone who knows):

I have been having some issues and I found they were caused by enhanced soundscape. I get similar error messages about launchers, etc, and have noticed in missions such as Antistasi Altis, troops that should have anti-tank launchers do not have them. Plus, I can't open the editor if I place troops with launchers while L_ES is running. This all started for me after the last Arma 3 update and new CBA update. I'm thinking your fix might help me solve that so I can use enhanced soundscape again. However, I have no idea where to make that fix. Could you please instruct me (if it isn't asking too much) to find the config, and to add that line to it? I have looked in every folder I can think of and can't find a weapons config.

Thanks in advance to any who reply!

*Edit- I don't know if it matters, but with L_ES running, I get error messages as soon as Arma 3 comes on, and in each mission I try playing.

Edited by corona2172
addition to original text

The mod hasn't been updated since January. Since then, Bohemia Interactive has reworked some of the sound effects of guns and added some new sound features. This is the most likely case of the mod getting errors now. I'd advise you just patiently wait for LAxemann to release an update.

FYI...Just confirmed L_ES is causing the FA18x to spawn with no missiles. Even after using rearm with support Hemett the missiles cannot be chosen in arming scheme.

Remove L_ES and it functions fine.

Also getting tons of cfg spam regarding other missiles and rocket launchers.

Seems to have happened since Marksman update.

B

Guys, I replied at least twice... I pretty much rewrote the thing, I'm aware of the issues, but I won't be able to update till the end of next week.

Cheers!

Sorry LAxemann, did'nt intend to pile-on. Just found the conflict and wanted to make sure you had the info.

Thank you for fixing the sound with ES. Again, another mod that completes Arma 3 ;-)

B

I hope it didn't seem as if I was complaining. I was only wondering how to implement this fix myself-

"The issue seems to be in

\l_es\scripting\cfgWeapons.h

Line 139:

class Launcher

should be

class Launcher: LauncherCore

ditto with missilelauncher below it."

It seemed to work for the guy who tried it, so I was wondering how I can go about making that change.

Either way, I can say this; without your mod on, Arma 3 just doesn't sound right, even with Dragonfyre on. You have created something that makes Arma 10 times better for me- THANK YOU!

WOW!

This sounds gorgeous!

Now the vanilla Arma sfx sound even more crap to me...

Alright, I'm (almost) back home and have some time to explain what will change/has changed:

First of all, the framework changed almost completely

I've learned some more stuff over the last few months and had been able to rewrite or improve many parts of the code.

This means: Better performance in general (it runs really smooth now) due to endless tweaks, but it'd be pointless to point out everything.

The most significant thing that has changed for these people that want to make their own, unique soundsets in the future is the way the mod gets it's data/information to work with.

Previously, every "soundset" had it's own little .sqf script which defined what sounds and variables will be used. This complicated things and required changes in every soundsetscript if I changed something.

The new version works just like my upcoming soundmod, "DynaSound". All you have to do is to add a prefix to the weapon's config and the mod will automatically generate the sound names out of it. This means that the weapon creator can simply add a stock Enhanced Soundscape prefix to the weapon or create own soundsets. All he/she has to do is to set the prefix and define the sounds in CfgSounds.

Example:

You create a new weapon and you add the line "L_ES_Prefix = "myWeapon"" into it's config. ES will now recognize that this weapon's prefix is "myWeapon".

In the next step you define the sounds needed in CfgSounds, that would be names such as "myWeapon_plopp" or "myWeapon_reverb_1_1_far".

When firing the weapon ingame, ES will generate the needed soundnames from the prefix.

I'll add a documentation for modders, don't worry. :)

Sound changes

I decided that it was bullshit to have unique reverbs for every weapon. It sounded weird when someone shot an MX and someone else an M200 and the reverb sounds were completely different, as if the weapons were fired in completely different areas.

So, in the next version, I've toned down the amount of unique reverbs quite a bit. Instead of having different sets for each weapon, I'll roll with weapon categories. Pretty much all rifles will get the same reverb tail, all pistols etc. It really sounds much nicer and more natural. The new sounds will be a tad more subtle, too.

Additionally, I've decreased the volume of most sounds significantly. I've previously tried to get a nice compromise between the heavily compressed JSRS and other sound mods, but everything ended up being too loud when not using JSRS. Now where JSRS got it's own ES version and will include an updated one in the next release, I've been able to make this step :)

Tl;dr

The script framework changed quite a bit and I'm improving most of the sounds, additionally I've decided not to have reverbs for every single weapon but rather weapon types such as HMG, howitzer etc.

The current toDo list reads:

• Create the last sounds

• Fix the reverb plopp noises (I kinda fucked them over when changing variable names, fixing should be no problem :))

I guess the next version will roll out this week, sooner or later. This brings us very close to finally releasing v 1.0, too! :)

LAxe

Edited by LAxemann

Alright, I'm (almost) back home and have some time to explain what will change/has changed:

First of all, the framework changed almost completely

I've learned some more stuff over the last few months and had been able to rewrite or improve many parts of the code.

This means: Better performance in general (it runs really smooth now) due to endless tweaks, but it'd be pointless to point out everything.

The most significant thing that has changed for these people that want to make their own, unique soundsets in the future is the way the mod gets it's data/information to work with.

Previously, every "soundset" had it's own little .sqf script which defined what sounds and variables will be used. This complicated things and required changes in every soundsetscript if I changed something.

The new version works just like my upcoming soundmod, "DynaSound". All you have to do is to add a prefix to the weapon's config and the mod will automatically generate the sound names out of it. This means that the weapon creator can simply add a stock Enhanced Soundscape prefix to the weapon or create own soundsets. All he/she has to do is to set the prefix and define the sounds in CfgSounds.

Example:

You create a new weapon and you add the line "L_ES_Prefix = "myWeapon"" into it's config. ES will now recognize that this weapon's prefix is "myWeapon".

In the next step you define the sounds needed in CfgSounds, that would be names such as "myWeapon_plopp" or "myWeapon_reverb_1_1_far".

When firing the weapon ingame, ES will generate the needed soundnames from the prefix.

I'll add a documentation for modders, don't worry. :)

Sound changes

I decided that it was bullshit to have unique reverbs for every weapon. It sounded weird when someone shot an MX and someone else an M200 and the reverb sounds were completely different, as if the weapons were fired in completely different areas.

So, in the next version, I've toned down the amount of unique reverbs quite a bit. Instead of having different sets for each weapon, I'll roll with weapon categories. Pretty much all rifles will get the same reverb tail, all pistols etc. It really sounds much nicer and more natural. The new sounds will be a tad more subtle, too.

Additionally, I've decreased the volume of most sounds significantly. I've previously tried to get a nice compromise between the heavily compressed JSRS and other sound mods, but everything ended up being too loud when not using JSRS. Now where JSRS got it's own ES version and will include an updated one in the next release, I've been able to make this step :)

Tl;dr

The script framework changed quite a bit and I'm improving most of the sounds, additionally I've decided not to have reverbs for every single weapon but rather weapon types such as HMG, howitzer etc.

The current toDo list reads:

• Create the last sounds

• Fix the reverb plopp noises (I kinda fucked them over when changing variable names, fixing should be no problem :))

I guess the next version will roll out this week, sooner or later. This brings us very close to finally releasing v 1.0, too! :)

LAxe

Can't wait. Hey, on another note, have you ever thought of using the current Arma 3 tails and making them as sounds, which would turn them into actual reverb? Or something, idk. Great to hear your back at it, looking forwars to this amazing enhancement!

Can't wait. Hey, on another note, have you ever thought of using the current Arma 3 tails and making them as sounds, which would turn them into actual reverb? Or something, idk. Great to hear your back at it, looking forwars to this amazing enhancement!

That would be no problem if we'd have access to the "soundmaps" that the reverb system uses.

I could then just access these and play different 3d reverbs according to the environment.

But well, we can't access them, so nope :P

Just leaving this here

Hello, will this next update conflict with the existent ES from JSRS or will simply overwrite? Btw, sounds amazing! nice work ^^

Sounds sexy.

Hi soundmod experts, I do not use sound mods currently, or will it be possible? I wasted virtually hours to get Pilgrimage mission started. It only worked without Soundmods (I use dragonfyrelyte + ES), because with (I think) JSRS there are config errors which make the mission stuck at startup.

Already at ArmA start I see "No entry ... Launch_NLAW_F.type".

Hi soundmod experts, I do not use sound mods currently, or will it be possible? I wasted virtually hours to get Pilgrimage mission started. It only worked without Soundmods (I use dragonfyrelyte + ES), because with (I think) JSRS there are config errors which make the mission stuck at startup.

Already at ArmA start I see "No entry ... Launch_NLAW_F.type".

It's because all public ES versions are outdated and someone messed around with DragonFyre.

Wait for updated versions.

Aaaaand there we go!

UPDATE

Changelog

0.80 - Complete overhaul

• New userconfig

• New key

• Pretty much everything was overhauled at some point

• New sounds

• New sound dynamics

• Improved performance

• Removed JSRS compatibility (JSRS already uses a lite version of ES and will be updated when the time has come)

• Fixed the launcher errors

Download (0.80)

There are some veeery small issues with the plopp functionality, but you'd probably never notice it, haha!

Will be fixed within the next days, I hope. :)

Enjoy!

Updated version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Awesome update, thanks for your work LAxemann!

so as far as I understood JSRS has its own "distance sounds" script. or would you suggest to use your mod and JSRS together?

Thank you man ! Your mods are awesome !

• Removed JSRS compatibility (JSRS already uses a lite version of ES and will be updated when the time has come)

Can you please give more info about JSRS (Dragon Fire) compatibility ?

If i use latest JSRS (Dragon Fire) and your latest version 0.80 together - there will be some conflicts now between this MODs ?

How your mod work with JSRS (Dragon Fire) - it add some additional effects to JSRS or JSRS disable your mod because it have it own sound effects ?

Thank you.