laxemann

Laxemann's "Enhanced Soundscape" (L_ES) - Gun reverb and echo based on terrain

Great mod!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Zipet

LAxemann, am I right in thinking this is going to be built into LJh's new DragonFyre mod ?

Or will this remain standalone ?

Cheers

JW

I actually use the 0.6 version of Dragonfyre and in this version it is not implemented. But i use laxemanns mod too, works amazing with my actually installed Dragonfyre files :)

FYI, the PWS version says 0.20, but I guess it should read 0.30 too?

I guess ...? :D

A small heads-up:

Since most of the reverbs are done, I'm slowly moving onto polishing the urban feature.

The feature is meant to create a more intense feeling when in urban firefights by simulating echo reflected from the buildings around you.

The short version:

I improved it.

The long, a bit more technical version:

For each shots 4 sounds are played around the player.

These 4 sounds are randomly picked out of an array.

The problem: Sometimes, well, even very often, the same sound was played twice at the same time from to different directions.

People which know their sound/ sound perception stuff will know: When the same audio signal is played at the exact same time it sounds "mono" or "centered", even though it's coming

from two different directions.

I made a quick demonstration for better understanding the issue, you can download it here (mp3).

In the setup, there is the same sound twice. First they're both playing at the same time (it sounds "mono"), right after that one of them plays a little bit delayed (it sounds "wide").

Long story short, I modified the script a bit so that the same sound isn't picked twice.

This finally makes the urban feature sound "wide" as f*ck. :D

LAxemann out

Love the mod LAxemann, it has improved greatly recently, both aesthetically and performance wise, keep up the good work. :)

Love the mod LAxemann, it has improved greatly recently, both aesthetically and performance wise, keep up the good work. :)

Thanks dude, nice to see some "faces" around here that I only know from YouTube. :)

//

Small Update Time!

0.31 - Improved the urban scripts

Download

Enjoy. :)

Update frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

I was a bit sceptical at first, as I only tested L_Es in an "unimmersive way", hovering over fighting units as Zeus. That way the reverb sometimes sounded a bit... off. Like reverb samples played on each shot that always sounded similar, which resulted in a cloud of noise for every fire fight. But I completely changed my mind when I tested it in an actual mission, actually playing. This is awesome. The reverb sounds great, the echoes that are being reflected from mountain flanks or house walls are just awesome. It's so much more immersive to play with this. I even was a bit nitpicky about JSRS2.2 lately, as I found it was lacking a certain... grip to it's sound. But with the addition of L_ES that concern is blown away.

I am soo looking forward to DragonFyre with L_Es. ;)

Can confirm performance is a lot better and no prob to play greater coop events with it, before it was a little desaster ;).

Nice how this little immersive changer find his way up up to the sky, cant play without it anymore.

Do you have on your plan to improve explosivs reverb sounds too ?

This is a great mod and very immersive , no doubt. A little thing though that is kind of annoying is when in large battles you could hear a continues echoing with weapons firirng all the time. The continuing eco without interruptions created by massive gunfights doesn't sound realistic IMO.

Otherwise this mod turns out to be a must and creates a great war enviroment.

Edited by Nikiforos

I'm a bit short on time and will have an ArmA-free weekend, but wanted to show you something.

Especially in the DragonFyre thread, many people talked about reverb from planes etc.

I actually tried that out (think I told you some pages back) but never made a video or anything for you.

So, here we go:

Samples were made really quick and are just "placeholders".

In my honest opinion, the impact on immersion isn't that great. Jets are allready loud and due to the limiter the reverb kinda gets pushed aside.

This might become a thing in a future version, but not for now I guess.

But well, first, what do you guys think?

Sounds a bit wierd in the video clip but the idea is interesting. The sounds of the jets in Arma do feel very plain in my opinion. This might help to mitigate that.

IMO It's a little intense and in your face. if there was a way to only make it reverb from further out or just more after it fly's by maybe. I dunno its close but something is off so I kinda have to agree with leaving it out for now. Who knows maybe you'll get some more tools to work with in the Nov 4th DLC drop. it looks like they're working a lot on the Audio engine.

Nice concept man, sounds good. I like that you're moving onto other aspects of the game and not just guns.

IMO It's a little intense and in your face. if there was a way to only make it reverb from further out or just more after it fly's by maybe. I dunno its close but something is off so I kinda have to agree with leaving it out for now. Who knows maybe you'll get some more tools to work with in the Nov 4th DLC drop. it looks like they're working a lot on the Audio engine.

I've been at several events where jet fighters have flown around, and how their sound rip holes in the sky and you need to basically shout to hear anyone on top of their engines. But yes, they aren't constantly that loud, most often when the exaust is pointed at you during a fly by for example, but that would probably be hell to code with vectors and shit like that. A youtube video can't really make it justice but I'll post something anyway.

Something that sounded like the above video would literally be amazing.

Well, it may not add that much.. but it does add a feeling of space, which is something Arma really lacks otherwise. I do like the effect but I guess it depends alot on the performace impact.

Would it perhaps be possible to instead make a script that delays the sound from the jet? Just to simulate speed of sound?

edit: Listening to it again, I really like the effect!

Edited by Heruon

Really liked it - obviously needs some work, but as a "first draft" it's pretty impressive. The comment about how it adds a feeling of space sums it up - makes it feel like there isn't just a jet in complete isolation but actually stuff around you.

Would it perhaps be possible to instead make a script that delays the sound from the jet? Just to simulate speed of sound?

edit: Listening to it again, I really like the effect!

At last news, engine sounds are hardcoded in the engine, and are not affected by speed of sound. How to test this easily ? Make a heli crash : you'll notice that the engine sound stops simultaneously with the crash but the explosion of the crash is delayed by speed of sound.

This counts for every vehicle.

Speed of sound simulation have existed in vanilla Arma for a long time. No need to mod it into a game that already has it.