laxemann

Laxemann's "Enhanced Soundscape" (L_ES) - Gun reverb and echo based on terrain

Weird... try to delete all stuff related to ES and then just drop the content of the archive into your A3 root folder - you don't have to change a thing.

Works for me. :)

I finally got it to work.

What finally fixed it was taking the userconfig folder from the @L_ES folder and putting it in the Arma3 root folder.

I have to say that this works really nice. I like that it leaves the actual weapon firing sounds to what they are in vanilla. Though I do think that overall the reverb sound is kinda too loud, right now they can very very easily drown out all other gun fire. Not sure if this is due to how arma handles sound mixing, but I'd normalize the volume of the reverb sounds a bit and maybe made them a tad more quiet.

Just letting you know using this mod with mod weapons in the new DEV branch causes a crash-to-desktop upon trying to go in-game/load a scenario.

Just letting you know using this mod with mod weapons in the new DEV branch causes a crash-to-desktop upon trying to go in-game/load a scenario.

Confirmed.

Also, Lax, I noticed the mod still has a decent amount of glitches, including a error every time an APC fires. Says something "auto cannon". Other than that, I can't recall any others at the moment. I'll let you know when I'm able to test it.

Thanks guys!

I'll look into it, but there won't be an update for the dev branch, I'm afraid.

Buuut I'm currently tweaking volume levels and might have improved performance a bit further.

Stay tuned :D

Will this improve "scene" of sound, allowing us to hear distant fire / explosion like in JSRS, but with stock sounds?

Thanks guys!

I'll look into it, but there won't be an update for the dev branch, I'm afraid.

Buuut I'm currently tweaking volume levels and might have improved performance a bit further.

Stay tuned :D

Sounds great. That error i mentioned, that happens on stable branch, so it's not DEV specific. Also, patiently awaiting the jet reverb, if that ever makes it in. ;D

Will this improve "scene" of sound, allowing us to hear distant fire / explosion like in JSRS, but with stock sounds?

Nope, check the first post in order to see what ES does.

Sounds great. That error i mentioned, that happens on stable branch, so it's not DEV specific. Also, patiently awaiting the jet reverb, if that ever makes it in. ;D

Huh? That's weird, we're using ES on our server and have no problems at all... hm!

Maybe incompatibility with another mod?

Did you test it with nothing but CBA and the stock ArmA?

Fortunately the DEV branch weapon additions make it perfectly fun to play with no mod guns and LES works in DEV with no modded weapons. I would like it if you did fix that issue though.

Nope, check the first post in order to see what ES does.

Huh? That's weird, we're using ES on our server and have no problems at all... hm!

Maybe incompatibility with another mod?

Did you test it with nothing but CBA and the stock ArmA?

Hmm, ok. Ill try re downloading the mod an deleting the current one i have in my folder. I do use CBA, because it won't work without it, but ill try re-downloading that too.

This mod is excellent, it really adds a new level of immersion but I have to make suggestion: Add some (less intense obviously) reverb to suppressors.

Ever since watching the "punch that time card" scene in Lone Survivor, the suppressed weapon sounds in Arma seem incredibly lacking. The only weapons I have found that have any kind of reverb when 'silenced' are RHS and HLC to a lesser degree. I would love to be able to hear reverb from more weapons while using suppressors, especially in wooded areas.

The suppressed weapon sounds in that movie are great IMO. The sound of the weapon firing and the reverb are excellent and what I would want suppressed weapons to sound like it Arma. That would be so nice.

Edited by SouthernSmoke

Thing with Lone Survivor, is that it's a 40 Million Dollar movie with nominations for both Best Sound Editing and Best Sound Mixing. And it lost those to gravity, the movie that Neil deGrasse Tyson approved!

From Wikipedia:

Sound editing and mixing work took place at Todd Soundelux, with Wylie Stateman serving as the supervising sound editor.[45] Stateman recorded on-location sound during filming, placing microphones on the actors' backpacks and clothing "so [the viewers] would hear explosions and bullets going by as though [they] were with these guys as they were being attacked."[46] In creating sound effects for the environment of each scene, Stateman relied on foley design, rather than traditional sound effects.[44]

No offense or anything, but don't think Lax could pull it off by himself. Maybe Bohemia and Lord Jarhead's combined work together might get close to that.

Edited by 654wak654

Thing with Lone Survivor, is that it's a 40 Million Dollar movie with nominations for both Best Sound Editing and Best Sound Mixing. And it lost those to gravity, the movie that Neil deGrasse Tyson approved!

From Wikipedia:

No offense or anything, but don't think Lax could pull it off by himself. Maybe Bohemia and Lord Jarhead's combined work together might get close to that.

Point taken. I was actually just fantasizing more than actually suggesting a full conversion of the Arma suppressed sounds to Lone Survivor level greatness. But as far as adding some reverb to suppressed weapons, I think that should be done.

Some weapons that already have reverb when suppressed (such as RHS) become more intense in urban and wooded areas just like most weapons do without suppressors. I don't know if this is outside the scope of this mod, but adding some reverb to suppressed weapons would be a great addition to Arma IMO.

---------- Post added at 13:18 ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 ----------

All of a sudden I started getting this message: Sound autocannon_reverb_1_far not found

Edited by SouthernSmoke

When using L_ES along with SoS, bullet cracks/snaps are replaced with ricochet on addon terrain, however they work perfectly fine on Altis and Statis, is there a simple fix I can apply or is it the 1.40 update which is causing the problem?

[/color]All of a sudden I started getting this message: Sound autocannon_reverb_1_far not found

same thing i've been getting for awhile now, i still have to re download when i get the chance and make sure it's not the latest versions.

I honestly don't know what's causing the weird issues, I'll look into it once the DLC is officially out :)

i think i found an issue.

with l_es enabled, the titan rockets of the gorgon are gone. tested it with only cba and l_es.

it seems to also affect other mods, for example the tow rockets of the rhs bradley can't be used aswell.

will investigate further, but at the moment everything points towards l_es.

There were a lot of changes with sounds in the patch, Laxemann are u planning to release an update if its needed?

Cheers

I can confirm conflict with RHS. We had some issues today using the AH64D and using its Hellfires. As soon as I load L_ES the Hellfires disappears from available weapons. Same goes for TOW on the Bradleys.

This using CBA (RC6), both RHS-packs 0.3.6 and L_ES 0.46.

For now we've removed L_ES from our groups' modpack but it hurts my pinky doing so. Playing without L_ES just isn't as fun :)

LAxemann: is it something you might be willing to look at?

I'm preparing for an assessment day this saturday, but I plan on doing an overhaul on ES after that. Especially script-wise.

Stay tuned! ;P

roger that, it sounds so fucking cliché saying keep up the good work all the time in all the awesome threads but I really do mean it :)

I'm preparing for an assessment day this saturday, but I plan on doing an overhaul on ES after that. Especially script-wise.

Stay tuned! ;P

Sweet, looking forward to it!

The issue seems to be in

\l_es\scripting\cfgWeapons.h

Line 139:

class Launcher

should be

class Launcher: LauncherCore

ditto with missilelauncher below it.

Thanks for the info. Tested suggested fix locally and it works like a charm. :)

Thanks dude, I'll look into it, busy with DynaSound and another project atm :)