laxemann

Laxemann's "Enhanced Soundscape" (L_ES) - Gun reverb and echo based on terrain

Speed of sound simulation have existed in vanilla Arma for a long time. No need to mod it into a game that already has it.

For weapons yes.. but not for vehicles.

hey Laxemann, was just wondering what happens when the mod is run but the userconfig is not installed? will it run like normal with default settings or will the mod not run at all? thanks

hey Laxemann, was just wondering what happens when the mod is run but the userconfig is not installed? will it run like normal with default settings or will the mod not run at all? thanks

Yo,

the mod won't run at all.

Also, I'm currently busy with the sounds for RHS and DragonFyre stuff, but might update ES aswell very soon.

Stay tuned, the next big thing: Forests ;)

the next big thing: Forests ;)

Awesome! You seem to have your priority's right :)

So this happened:

Everything works as expected, except for one thing...

Due to the checks that have to be made before entering the forest script, it takes a few MS for the forest sounds to be heard.

Long story short, there's a a small delay between the shot and the reverb.

I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to fix the delay this time.

The question is: Do you think that the small delay is disturbing the atmosphere or is it alright and the feature itself compensates for it?

So this happened:

Everything works as expected, except for one thing...

Due to the checks that have to be made before entering the forest script, it takes a few MS for the forest sounds to be heard.

Long story short, there's a a small delay between the shot and the reverb.

I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to fix the delay this time.

The question is: Do you think that the small delay is disturbing the atmosphere or is it alright and the feature itself compensates for it?

Sounds alright to me.

I think it sounds fine, even if that delay wouldn't exist in real life it doesn't sound wrong to me.

Hey, there is couple MS delay in real life too, just gotta science the sh*t out of it:

Let's say those 2 closest threes are 3,4 meters away. The distance the sound has to move to get back to the shooter from the threes is 6,8 meters. Sound travels at 340m/s, so it'll take 0,02 seconds for the echo/reverb to be heard.

If anything the script is even more realistic Laxemann :cool:!

Glad you're okey with it, guys :D

Btw, I feel like an asshole; I forgot to mention that the new feature is only possible due to the help of Killzone_Kid!

Tribute be given :D

I won't have time to work on ES this weekend but I hope that we'll get more polished reverbs for some weapons

aswell as new urban sounds next week. :)

Glad you're okey with it, guys :D

Btw, I feel like an asshole; I forgot to mention that the new feature is only possible due to the help of Killzone_Kid!

Tribute be given :D

I won't have time to work on ES this weekend but I hope that we'll get more polished reverbs for some weapons

aswell as new urban sounds next week. :)

NO! YOU MUST KEEP WORKING!! :p

I really CAN'T play anything without this anymore

It is gamechanger :)

^^

I have to agree 100%. This mod is as immersive and essential as my TrackIR.

Amazing news:

After optimizing the code I managed to get rid of the high delay regarding the forest feature.

I'm so happy right now, haha, sounds smooth as f*ck :D

Huge Update Time!

Changelog

Added: First version of the forest feature (Thanks to killzone_kid for the tip!)

Optimized scripts, resulting in faster and better execution of the forest and urban scripts

Added: compatibility with JSRS 2.2 which doesn't take speed of sound into account up to 130m

Changed: Pistol reverb sounds

Changed: Zafir reverb sounds

Changed: M2 reverb sounds

Changed: Some minor volume tweaks

DOWNLOAD (0.40)

Enjoy the new stuff, guys! :)

Also, here's a quick showcase video, made especially for showing the rapid script execution/elimination of delays... and for showing the general thing! :D

Had a feeling the update would be coming with how stoked you were lol

Thanks again... downloading now

omg! That sounds really good! Will be trying the update tomorrow. Thank you so much for your hard work LAxemann!

Nice update, I really like how long the reverb sounds (notably the forest sounds) are but still don't overlap each other. That is one thing that I feel other Arma 3 sounds do.

One critizism I have to point out though is that I feel the forest reverb sounds have just a tiny bit too much character to them, as if you changed environment to a very large hall. The preview you posted earlier had, in my opinion, more fitting sounds.

Amazing news:

After optimizing the code I managed to get rid of the high delay regarding the forest feature.

I'm so happy right now, haha, sounds smooth as f*ck :D

I see your game here Laxemann, you just made up that stuff about it being impossible to overcome so you could look good.

Haha, grats on fixing it, this mod just gets better and better!

Nice work. Firt time I download this mod it was nice and now it is even better so can't wait for the next up date

One critizism I have to point out though is that I feel the forest reverb sounds have just a tiny bit too much character to them, as if you changed environment to a very large hall. The preview you posted earlier had, in my opinion, more fitting sounds.

Aye, I already did three versions of the basic soundset and this was the only one that didn't flange/overlap. Well get better fitting sounds as soon as I reworked the other ones :)

@Rest; Glad you enjoy it! :)