laxemann

Laxemann's "Enhanced Soundscape" (L_ES) - Gun reverb and echo based on terrain

Now that's freakin' awesome! Though I still feel that it comes too early. :)

If you can't/don't want to make delay calculation based on distance, it would be enough to just add a ~300 ms long silent part to the beginning of the echo sample(s). Just an idea. :)

Edited by tpM

Now that's freakin' awesome! Though I still feel that it comes too early. :)

If you can't/don't want to make delay calculation based on distance, it would be enough to just add a ~300 ms long silent part to the beginning of the echo sample(s). Just an idea. :)

I get your point dude, but I think we're talking about two different things; in the video I'm trying to simulate the actual "terrain reverb" that you can constantly hear since the sound hits the ground in front of you veeery fast;

there is an actual "echo" simulation, check the first video on the main page, you just can't hear it in the video because the shooter isn't shooting "against" a mountain... I think you're talking about that, but correct me if I'm wrong! :)

By the way, huge fanboy alert, but I'm really looking forward to ACSE. Take your time and make it splendid , there aren't enough people focusing on dynamic range. :D

Whoa! That + surround = awesome

Some new features were integrated today:

• Silencer check (I know that a silencer doesn't really make the weapon more quiet, but I'll play no sound until I got a silencer soundset finished)

• Check if shooter is inside a bulding

• it's now splendid camera compatible, meaning the distance calculations aren't based on the player's position anymore, but on the camera position (duh)

• Pistol soundset finished (Yes, i'll only do a few "basic" sets for the first release, more lateron)

• The reverb is now actually travelling through the terrain

• The reverb is alligned to the terrain (so no more terrain reverb from midair :) )

I won't be home 'till monday, so no updates in the meantime. :(

Sorry if this has already been answered (I did a search but couldn't find anything).

Does this mod take any gun sound and add reverb on top? For example, could I use Vanilla/JSRS and ES would still work without any conflicts?

I'm only asking because I quite like the vanilla weapon sounds (really) and would love to use ES simply for the reverb effects (without any existing weapon sounds being changed/replaced).

Also, how does this mod affect performance? Is it quite hardware hungry?

All questions aside, I really the concept for this sound mod. I can't wait for the release.

This simply sounds brilliant! Can't wait to try this out! Especially with ACSE..

Awesome work!

Hey Laxemann!

Very impressive work so far!

But I'm interested if ES will add these echos and so on to EVERY weapon. And with that I mean if the echo-soundeffect will work on mod weapons (e.g. the mg4/5, g36 of the BWMod)

Just a thought - Really impressive work you've done, but it seems strange to me that there's no echo if you're not aiming at something. Would it be possible to make a second check with an offset, and so forth, if the first check returns negative? I get that it would be more taxing for the system, but maybe worth a try?

edit - Btw, maybe checks for every shot are not necessary if you keep shooting in the same general direction? Anyway I can't script so it's just thoughts..

Edited by Heruon

Sorry if this has already been answered (I did a search but couldn't find anything).

Does this mod take any gun sound and add reverb on top? For example, could I use Vanilla/JSRS and ES would still work without any conflicts?

Also, how does this mod affect performance? Is it quite hardware hungry?

Haha you are right, this was answered a few times before, but once again! :)

ES doesn't change any actual weapon sounds, it just adds the reverb and echo feature (... so far, if I get some time today it's time to get the urban features started!)

As for the performance: You can define the number of shots that are calculated simulatniously in the userconfig.

I'm currently running it on 100 and it performs really well on my PC, which is almost 4 years old now (except for the graphics card)

[...]

But I'm interested if ES will add these echos and so on to EVERY weapon. And with that I mean if the echo-soundeffect will work on mod weapons (e.g. the mg4/5, g36 of the BWMod)

Yup, if the weapon has it's prefix not defined in cfgWeapons, a default soundset will be used that sounds "ok" with most weapons.

Then again there is a chance that I add own soundsets/configs for popular mods if I get the mod author's permission. :)

Just a thought - Really impressive work you've done, but it seems strange to me that there's no echo if you're not aiming at something. Would it be possible to make a second check with an offset, and so forth, if the first check returns negative? I get that it would be more taxing for the system, but maybe worth a try?

This was actually already implemented but it really messed up the performance... because when there was really no terrain around, the script would check like crazy, even with some safety measures the "script" delay was audible.

If I can think of a better solution, it's gonna get implemented, but more soundsets and the "urban feature" have the highest priority so far. :)

Besides that, I got a very simple yet very effective script/minimod for (low) flybys in the making, low priority but this might become an own little thing.

Great work you've done there, I love it.

And those who're complaining about performance, unless you have a CPU from 2002, there won't be any performance issues. If your system can't handle the current sound mods, it probably can't even play the game.

[...]

Yup, if the weapon has it's prefix not defined in cfgWeapons, a default soundset will be used that sounds "ok" with most weapons.

Then again there is a chance that I add own soundsets/configs for popular mods if I get the mod author's permission. :)

[...]

Sounds awesome! :-)

Keep up the good work! ;-)

Holy Sh*t.

Just watched the videos.

AWESOME! That's just brilliant.

Thank you, this is excellent I'm going to try it out as soon as possible :)

This sounds absolutely amazing! Looking forward to trying this.

Would it be possible to see (hear) a video of a firefight going on around you with multiple shots being fired and rounds coming in at the same time from across the valley?

Hey Folks,

another update... with two videos!

I started working on the "urban" features of the mod, meaning instead of having a wide, but smooth reverb reflecting from the terrain, the shots get reflected in a more aggressive way from the surrounding buildings.

Here's a quick example:

It works really well so far, I'm currently trying to find the best compromise between having a super accurate reflection and maintaining performance and -which is way more important- keeping the calculation times low.

This sounds absolutely amazing! Looking forward to trying this.

Would it be possible to see (hear) a video of a firefight going on around you with multiple shots being fired and rounds coming in at the same time from across the valley?

...just for you ;)

While making the video I noticed that the reverb stuff reaaally "sums up" in an... extreme way. You can't really hear it in the video because there isn't so much going on, but as soon as there are some machine guns firing at the same time, stuff sounds really messy.

I know that it actually is SUPPOSED to sound messy, but I'll try to make it sound more natural and I guess the way to go is to play different terrain reverb samples based on distance.

It just sounds weird when someone's shooting from 400m away, the actual firing sound is just a "plopp" but the reverb is still very bright.

*sigh* Lots of work ahead, but we're getting closer! :)

Enjoy the stuff!

Thanks so much for making the vid showing it in a firefight, really appreciate that!

It sounds great as well. It's amazing how much it adds, it makes the weapons and the fight feel so much more kinetic.

Brilliant.

LAxemann, I am completely floored. This is the greatest thing I've seen come to Arma (any Arma) sound-wise since JSRS.

If it wouldn't be too much trouble, I'd love to see some kind of visual representations of how this mod works. Like how the reverb actually travels through the map.

Outstanding work so far. Would it possible to add reverbs for vehicles, like tanks and helis moving through a valley?

Outstanding work so far. Would it possible to add reverbs for vehicles, like tanks and helis moving through a valley?

Don't give me a heart attack, now.

Nah nothing special I hear no difference from the vanilla sounds..

Just kiddin , this is awesome dude!!!!! :D

Man, this simply perfect, can't wait to have it on my addons folder :p

the small firefight video sounds still epic! The best of this mod is you can multiplicate the awesomeness with existing soundmods like jsrs and sos!