sic-disaster

Looking to team up to create a death scream mod.

Hello all.

Since before the ArmA 3 release I've been wanting to create a death scream mod for added immersion. I once had a working script to include in missions that added death screams but obviously that bloated every mission unnecessarily. My goal now then is to create a stand-alone mod that will add death screams to any mission you play.

Hower, this is where I need help: That script wasn't written by me but by someone else who now does not have the time, and I just don't get coding. Writing such a mod on my own is beyond my abilities. For this mod I am looking to facilitate the sounds themselves, and hoping to get someone to put them into action.

There are some things that I would like the mod to do:

- Ofcourse, it should play in 3d, and sounds should be chosen at random.

- Detection for headshots, so that no sounds will play, or only some specific sounds (gurgling) will play when someone is shot in the head. I'm guessing this could be done by having a list of some sort in the code that includes all the sounds that are allowed to play on a specific occasion like this.

- faction-specific. This is important, because obviously we don't want English-speaking troops to shout in other languages.

- Turned into a mod, so it adds these sounds to all missions automatically without bloating each seperate mission file with soundfiles.

- If at all possible (but not a big requirement and not too big a deal if it can't be done) it would be great to have the lips move, so you're not looking at a blank face creating sounds.

This is an old video of the old mission-specific script:

Please let me know if you are interested in helping me out!

Bloody great idea mate, I really hope someone offers you the help you need

WGL(z) had some scary screams at some point. Maybe you can still dig them up.

Not at home at the moment, but shouldn't be a big deal, I'd just need some samples since finding them can be a real pain in the a** sometimes. I'm not a fan of death screams but I'll contact you as soon as I've got something working, which should be this eveving.

Extra points if the more ludicrous Red Faction (original, not the rest of the filth) screams make it in. :)

A good idea, all jokes aside. Best of luck.

Not at home at the moment, but shouldn't be a big deal, I'd just need some samples since finding them can be a real pain in the a** sometimes. I'm not a fan of death screams but I'll contact you as soon as I've got something working, which should be this eveving.

That's great man, I'm looking forward to it. Could it also be made so that there can be made a difference between factions within a side? Say, the FIA getting their own sounds apart from NATO? FIA are as we know 'deserted' Greek soldiers for a big part, so they would use a different accent than regular NATO troops. And if that is in, the mod could be made compatible with other mods too. For example, if someone adds in a Russian faction under OPFOR, I could iterate on the mod and add in Russian death screams.

@CameronMcDonald, I don't have the original Red Faction, but I could look into it. I would like to add in some more 'extreme' screams, but I would like the mod to have a serious approach.

I want to attempt to humanise the soldiers in the game, for every faction. NATO will be the easiest, as it is easier to create and find death screams in English than it is to find some in Farsi, but I would like to try that. A big inspiration for me is Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad. For all the flaws that game has, it does have the best battlefield ambience I have ever witnessed.

That game has the awesome ability to make you feel a small degree of guilt by instilling a sense of awareness of what you are doing, that being the shooting and killing of human beings. I believe games have a much bigger role they can play in making people aware of the horror of war, instead of sugarcoating it in the name of 'fun'. RO2 manages to be fun while still delivering that message, and I would like to try to achieve the same.

I would like to extract some death screams from Rising Storm as well, because they are very good. I would like them to be a bit rare though, so you don't hear the same little talks over and over again.

Example:

The Russians in RO2 were very well done too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57mICfWeAVg

Especially at 2:03 and 3:24 they are quite bone chilling.

Edited by SiC-Disaster

DOWNLOAD

There we go, a very first, very basic version. SiC-Disaster sent me some samples which I used.

I'm currently very busy with own projects and other private stuff so my time to test and try out stuff is rather rare, so I'd like to point a few things out which will help me to finish that thing faster.

• MP-compatibility is not yet tested, a bit unsure about if the XEH killed eventhandler is executed global or not, this leads us to...

• ...in case it works in MP, each player WILL hear a different sound. This is very easy to fix, but I need a confirmation if it works in MP or not.

• Due to me being a bit busy, I won't be able to find decent sounds/samples myself, so if you got anything for different languages, just send it over. (WAV would be appreciated, chopping out of Videos takes a bit of times)

• The unit won't move it's mouth (Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's not possible on dead bodies AFAIK

• Yes, an integration of the headshot and different factions feature is possible and easy, but I need the samples for it. :)

So, have fun with your mod in it's current state, I'll continue as soon as someone tells me how it behaves in MP and I get more samples.

L.

Laxeman, fun fact: if you use this death scream mod and shoot chickens or goats or dogs, they scream like human dying =P

Great to see, this idea is alive and coming to A3. :)

Now, when I'm watching again that old demo movie, a thought came - although I, luckily, know only "Hollywood reality" of such events, seems reasonable, so articulated scream should be generated with some noticeable delay. At first there may be some short "sound of hit man", while actual reaction for pain and situation comes with a slight delay, I think.

Not sure about lips movement, never tried, but is possible, so this may be done only for alive units (?), if so, death must be delayed to have that, which, BTW, give opportunity to show also some dying-in-pain animations. Of course this is whole separate thing, even more ambitious, just an idea.

Also, about 3D sound in A3, few months ago was testing that and seems, so things was broken in A3 in such a way, so although sound source appears at the chosen object properly, it will not move with that object. Not an issue here, I guess.

Edited by Rydygier

After watching your initial video I thought it would be sadistic and sick to add those sounds but I really dig your argument about giving the player a bad feeling and a feeling of guilt for shooting somebody.

The Red Orchestra sounds work great for this and much more than the ones of Rising Storm. Some random guy calling for his mum when shot has just such a high potential to ruin immersion, I would use the sounds as generic as possible, even without understandable language which is also making it more simple to apply. And I agree with Rydygier there needs to be a slight delay until the victium truly notices he's severely hit.

Keep it up!

Discussion of copyright infringement (and related posts) deleted. Please note that any discussion of such things will be deleted and may result in infractions or even bans, as per the forum rules.

After watching your initial video I thought it would be sadistic and sick to add those sounds but I really dig your argument about giving the player a bad feeling and a feeling of guilt for shooting somebody.

The Red Orchestra sounds work great for this and much more than the ones of Rising Storm. Some random guy calling for his mum when shot has just such a high potential to ruin immersion, I would use the sounds as generic as possible<....>

Well put, I concur. Also, that would shift the atmosphere a bit from a paintball game to the gruesome thing the war is.

i would appreciate death screams as well, as long as not every single unit dies with it... not everyonr should be able to give sound after shot

Sent from mobile

Use Willhem scream it's not a copy right infringement, it's even made available by some sound editors that work for Hollywood to be used

Calling All Arma players... get to your local studio and record some horrible gut wrenching bleeding death screams...

oh wow. i had this idea yesterday and here it is being done already. i found some nice sounds already. will try to get the links again and send you a PM. since i'm not a fan of the theatrical kind of screams, they are more short painful screams of getting hit fatally though since i plan to use them in combination with some other "death related features" ;) but maybe they are still useful to you.

oh wow. i had this idea yesterday and here it is being done already. i found some nice sounds already. will try to get the links again and send you a PM. since i'm not a fan of the theatrical kind of screams, they are more short painful screams of getting hit fatally though since i plan to use them in combination with some other "death related features" ;) but maybe they are still useful to you.

Hmmmm. Death related features?

Would be great to hear some emotive commentary from other units in the group as well if at all possible? Look forward to seeing the results.

Would be great to hear some emotive commentary from other units in the group as well if at all possible? Look forward to seeing the results.

This!

A battle between you and a platoon of AI feels completely empty as it is. There are no sounds of pain, no sounds of panic, no communication between the enemy commanders and their units. I want to hear screams, commands being given, panic, and confusion. As it is, it takes away all immersion and constantly reminds you that you're fighting robots and not other humans. Battles are just completely silent.

@SiC-Disaster if you're still looking for help, I'd be more than willing to help you in this project. Sound is really important for me, with basic sounds like these lacking, Arma against AI is an extremely flat and boring experience.

Edited by Goodson

I would also be willing to get involved if you need any recordings done/editing/processing/foley sounds

Got a lot of experience in these things so gimme a shout! Bullet impact sounds would be good, a real 'thud' ;) and general chatter of course as Goodson was prattling on about :D

I found these sounds in the Arma 3 vanilla files. Just as a proof of concept, here's a video with them in action.